What's new

First SR shave

Shave #67 (267 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Ikon El Jefe, Feather Pro blade (6), Gillette Prewar Fat Handled Tech, Astra SP blade (6), RR Big Bruce synth, Cella soap, generic witch hazel, and Proraso Red AS to finish!

Another solid shave in the books!

Awkward morning however. Got really woken up by folks getting off to school/work for the day (as opposed to able-to-go-back-to-sleep woken up), so I stayed up and got going a little sooner. My middle son has an IEP meeting for school at noon though, at which point I basically have to go to work and wait for my shift since it won’t be worth going back home. The middle son has had a lot of learning and attention issues (normal child behavioral issues aside) and was just two weeks ago diagnosed with ADD and placed on a prescription. The positive changes were nearly immediate, like within the first week. We’re keeping our hopes up that this continues, he was starting to tank quite hard in school and behavior. Still, extra things are necessary academically.

Now if they just had a magic thing for my oldest’s pre-teen dramatics...

Anyway...last weekend of basketball games at the church. The league goes out with a big bang each year, so mega celebration this Sunday - food, bounce houses, basketball, etc. Should be a lot of fun for all!

Have a great Friday all!

Shave #68 (267 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Ikon El Jefe, Feather Pro blade (7), Gillette Prewar Fat Handled Tech, Astra SP blade (7), RR Big Bruce synth, Cella soap, generic witch hazel, and CC Venture AS to finish!

Just a quick entry today and I’m off to the (work) races. Great, refreshing shave; no issues with razors or blades!

Little bit of a busy morning ahead, but it’ll be quittin time before I know it!

Have a great Saturday all!

Side note: I think I’ve found my answer for the alternative brush challenge! Stay tuned for (hopefully) Monday’s video!

Shave #69 (267 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Ikon El Jefe, Feather Pro blade (8), Gillette Prewar Fat Handled Tech, Astra SP blade (8), Yaqi SF synth, CBL Barbershop soap, generic witch hazel, Speick AS, and YSL L’Homme Ultime frag to finish!

Sunday shave par excellence today! I’ve really enjoyed my week mixing it up with the Jefe and the PWFH Tech. CBL Barbershop was just the ticket I needed for the luxury shave train. 3 smooth passes and a witch hazel/Speick calming post-shave to set the stage for laying down a few finishing spritzes of Ultime.

Full day today with services, finishing celebration and party for the Upward basketball league, and dinner with the fam later at a friend’s house. Going to be a fine day!

Have a blessed Sunday all!

Shave #70 (267 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Ikon El Jefe, Feather Pro blade (9), Gillette Slim Adjustable, Astra SP blade (9), RR Big Bruce synth, Cella soap, generic witch hazel, Lucky Tiger AS, and Ogalalla Bay Rum & Sandalwood AS to finish!

Pretty irritating shave today trying to complete the Alternative Brush Challenge for the month. Be warned if you decide to try for yourself!

Video is up on the ‘Tube - GearNoir’s Shave Log!

Shave #71 (267 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Ikon El Jefe, Feather Pro blade (10), Gillette Slim Adjustable, Astra SP blade (10), RR Big Bruce synth, Cella soap, generic witch hazel, Lucky Tiger AS, and Barbasol Pacific Rush AS to finish!

I had irritation from the over-exfoliation carry over off and on, well into the evening yesterday. A couple dabs of witch hazel here n there helped bring relief throughout. This morning the cheekbones were still a little tender, so I opted not to swap the El Jefe out for the Feather SS, but keep things consistent.

Today’s shave was great, using the Big Bruce of course! Whipped up a fantastic, creamy slick Cella lather and slathered my face with post shave products and a moisturizer. Still a bit of tightness, but otherwise the face is feeling good today.

Today is my Mo-ednesday, kicking off a 3 day work week. Looking forward to my 3 day weekend in Carmel, CA with the missus (4 for me, but we’ll come home the 3rd). We may even pull the kids out early Friday to get out of town and on our way sooner. If you ever visit CA and want a classic beach experience with a little posh, that whole Carmel, Monterrey, Santa Cruz area is the place to stop!

The rest of this morning I’m beginning writing out my bible study teaching on Amos 4...and robbing some coaches in Red Dead Redemption 2. Go figure that one out! :001_tt2:

Have a great Tuesday all!

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-12_10-25-56.gif
    upload_2019-3-12_10-25-56.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 3
Shave #72 (267 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Ikon El Jefe, Feather Pro blade (11), Gillette Slim Adjustable, Astra SP blade (11), RR Big Bruce synth, Cella soap, generic witch hazel, Lucky Tiger AS, and Old Spice AS (modern) to finish!

Was up early today so that the missus could have her midweek sleep in. Got the kids off to school then beeline it back for home for the freshening up and shave. Not bad today, a little irritation on the upper corners of the lips. Need to dial the Slim back down. It’s only on setting 3 but it’s feeling really harsh in some spots, I’m really having to ride the cap. That extra mm difference, or whatever it is, from the Fat Boy’s design really makes a huge difference. I’m on the fence right now as to what to do with it, I just don’t pick it up often or enjoy the shave as much. If I had been smart, I should have just put out the little extra for a second Fat Boy...

In fact, I’m considering a little razor clearing, just to off the ones I don’t use much. I’d prefer a small rotation of at least one of each razor type and ones used often. This clearing may include my SRs and strop honestly. I just don’t reach for them at all, the Feather SS suits me just fine. It’s not many razors overall, but it might give me a meager starting fund for something else.

Super busy work shift yesterday, today won’t be quite as bad thankfully!

Have a great Wednesday all!

Shave #73 (267 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Ikon El Jefe, Feather Pro blade (12), Gillette Fatboy Adjustable, Astra SP blade (12), RR Big Bruce synth, Cella soap, generic witch hazel, and Bootlegger’s Bay Rum AS to finish!

Great, solid shave today; 95%+ BBS with little irritation. Decided to switch out the Slim for the beloved Fatboy, it did not disappoint!

Was considering doing a TSC 1st Anniversary video for tomorrow, but with all that needs to be done to get us out the door and on our way to the weekend getaway, I don’t think I’ll have time.

Last day of work for the week!
upload_2019-3-14_11-5-34.gif

Have a great Thursday all!

Shave #74 (267 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Ikon El Jefe, Feather Pro blade (13), Gillette Fatboy Adjustable, Astra SP blade (13), Yaqi SF synth, CBL Roasted Oatmeal Stout soap, generic witch hazel, Lucky Tiger AS, Fine Platinum AS, and Fine Platinum EdT to finish!

427E1FB9-3093-4867-B679-B6D468AD0251.jpeg

Very nice TSC Anniversary shave today! I attempted to make the theme a progression in scents To represent the change over the last year. Worked out pretty nicely if I do say so myself!

Headed out on the road soon. The travel kit is packed with a Fat Handled Prewar Tech, Yaqi SF synth, Cattie’s Bubbles Un Jour Gris, witch hazel, and Fine Platinum AS & EdT.

Have a great Friday folks!

Shave #75 (267 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Gillette Prewar Fat Handled Tech, Astra SP blade (1), Yaqi SF synth, Catie’s Bubbles Un Jour Gris soap, generic witch hazel, Fine Platinum AS, and Fine Platinum EdT to finish!

6D505D24-4CCA-41E4-B063-67F133D039BB.jpeg

First morning/day travel shaves are always a little off for me. This morning was fine; having the Tech helps mitigate most of the damage I might otherwise do, lol.

Breakfast completed, Monterrey Bay Aquarium next, then a light lunch, a little walking trek in Pacific Grove, then Carmel shop touring, and dinner to finish later!

Have a great Saturday all!

Shave #76 (267 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Gillette Prewar Fat Handled Tech, Astra SP blade (2), Yaqi SF synth, Catie’s Bubbles Un Jour Gris soap, generic witch hazel, Fine Platinum AS, and Fine Platinum EdT to finish!

A little of a late wake up and breakfast, then back to the room to clean up and get things packed. Shave went just fine, little irritation and a good result.

We’ll have a leisurely morning and hopefully a traffic-less drive back out of the coast, since we’re leaving earlier than most normally would (the highways out of the area are 1-2 lane and clog up easy) to get the kids. The goal is to be home late afternoon/early evening so that everyone gets one last breather before the start of the new week.

Good times. Maybe someday we’ll get to do it more often.

Happy Sunday all!

Shave #77 (267 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Ikon El Jefe, Feather Pro blade (14), RR Game Changer, Astra SP blade (3), RR Big Bruce synth, Cella soap, generic witch hazel, Speick AS, and Pinaud Citrus Musk EdC to finish!

I did shave and make a video yesterday. Apologies for the delay, it didn’t get uploaded until late last night. The last 10 minutes of the video are excerpts from my weekend away, particularly the Monterey Bay Aquarium! Thanks for watching!

Video is up on the ‘Tube - GearNoir’s Shave Log!

Shave #78 (267 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Ikon El Jefe, Feather Pro blade (15), RR Game Changer .68, Astra SP blade (4), RR Big Bruce synth, Cella soap, generic witch hazel, and Master Jade AS to finish!

Nice BBS shave to start the work week off! No more planned vacations until summer sadly.

Volleyball assessments began yesterday on the church campus, practices and games will begin in the next week or so. This is only the 2nd year doing this league, so it’s no where near as big as the Upward basketball league we host, but it’s growing!

Furiously trying to make decent progress on my teaching for Thursday morning. Still a little ways to go. Having enough material for an hour’s talk is no small feat. Kudos to my seminary professors who had to keep things going 3+ hours per class!

Hope you all enjoy your Tuesday!

Shave #79 (267 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Ikon El Jefe, Feather Pro blade (16), RR Game Changer .68, Astra SP blade (5), RR Big Bruce synth, Cella soap, generic witch hazel, and RR The Stallion AS to finish!

Just a quick entry today, have to get back to working on my study.

Today was my day to drop the kids off at school, so I was up early. A little bleary eyed and tired, but none the worse for the wear. Came back and did my cleanup and shave. Coming back in the rotation to the GC, I’m becoming aware that nothing else in my small D.E. selection really gives me the level great shaves the GC does. The Tech and Fatboy come close, but still are a step below. I still want to try the Supply injector and get my hands on a General, or perhaps and SE1 if I have to, but for what I have right now - GC, El Jefe, and my Feather SS could easily be the den’s trifecta.

Back to it...

Have a great Wednesday all!

Shave #80 (267 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Ikon El Jefe, Feather Pro blade (17), RR Game Changer .68, Astra SP blade (6), RR Big Bruce synth, Cella soap, generic witch hazel, and CC Venture AS to finish!

Just a quick update today before I head out the door for the Bible study.

Nice, refreshing shower n shave just now. About time for a blade change or two, things are feeling a bit rough.

I knew I was going to be in front and around a number of elder and wiser folk, so I went easy on the AS. Hopefully no one’s allergies act up. Never had a problem yet when I’m with them.

Today will be my Wednesday at work. Not quite sure yet what the weekend schedule holds, but I’ll find out at the weekly grounds team meeting this afternoon. Hopefully it won’t be too crazy!

N that’s that! Have a great Thursday all!

Shave #81 (267 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Ikon El Jefe, Feather Pro blade (18), RR Game Changer .68, Astra SP blade (7), RR Big Bruce synth, Cella soap, generic witch hazel, Lucky Tiger AS and Old Spice AS (modern) to finish!

Well whatever roughness I was feeling from the blades yesterday certainly wasn’t there today! These live to shave yet another day! As soon as the Feather blade quite though, I’m going to clean up the El Jefe and switch back to the Feather SS for a while though. Otherwise, good shave!

I almost put the Cella away today and brought out the DR Harris Sandalwood triple milled puck I have sitting...but I decided against it last minute. Astonishingly still at about a 50% tub of Cella, which I’ve well surpassed 60 shaves with so far. I think it cost me $10 to buy. My guess is that whenever it does quit, I’ll have brought its cost per shave near or beyond the $0.01 per shave realm lol.

I do love the shaves it’s giving, but I think this faux 3017 may be coming to an end for now in favor of, still a faux 3017, but a scent switch.

Yesterday’s teaching went well. Looking forward to doing it more regularly.

Work this weekend will be modestly slow. I’m excited that we get to close up early tomorrow.

Hope everyone is having a great Friday!

Shave #82 (267 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Ikon El Jefe, Feather Pro blade (19), RR Game Changer .68, Astra SP blade (8), RR Big Bruce synth, Cella soap, generic witch hazel, and Bootlegger’s Bay Rum AS to finish!

2 strikes, you’re out! Both blades getting changed tomorrow.

Off to work soon, so just a quick one today. Shave results were good, but blades were rough.

Missus and I are going to have a sit down at some point in regards to our tax return - what we need to do, what we can (or can’t) splurge on a little as a treat, and what we need to try and save. In anticipation, I’m tightening up my immediate acquisitions list to what I think is reasonable. That does mean continued delayed acquisition on some things sadly, this is essentially the one time a year we can loosen up the purse strings a tad, and I still have a long list of things I’d like to get my hands on - handgun cert and a nice first piece, motorcycle, watches, and of course shaving items such as a General. Around this time of year our necessities list is also grown unfortunately - a second car, a new computer for the house, rooting out our home’s drains, AC unit maintenance for summer, etc. Whoever though the world should run on money instead of giving is a big fat jerk. :001_tongu

Right now I’m thinking the list will be limited to:

- Supply Injector razor

- Fine AB AS and EdT

- Last is an undecided, 3 way tie between CBL soap, SV soap, or a churchwarden pipe starter kit to try.

Going in early to work today, so that means I’m able to be home a little earlier, always a good thing!

Hope everyone is off to having a grand Saturday!

Shave #83 (268 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather SS folding shavette, Feather Pro blade (1), RR Game Changer .68, Rapira blade (1), RR Big Bruce synth, JoHS Turkish Bath (Barbershop) soap, generic witch hazel, Fine Platinum AS, and Fine Platinum EdT to finish!

Already headed off to church for the morning.

Decent shave today considering the length of time since the last Feather SS useage. Only a couple small nicks and a bit of irritation.

Cella went back into the drawer today and I pulled out a favorite that hadn’t seen use in a while...Jeeves of Hudson Street Turkish Bath (aka now as Barbershop). Great warm scent, muted talc freshness, solid performer!

Have a blessed Sunday all!

Shave #84 (269 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather SS folding shavette, Feather Pro blade (2), RR Big Bruce synth, DRH Sandalwood soap, generic witch hazel, and BB PC Fresh AS to finish!

Good, full open blade shave this morning!

Video is up on the ‘Tube - GearNoir’s Shave Log.

Shave #85 (270 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather SS folding shavette, Feather Pro blade (4), RR Game Changer .68, Rapira blade (3), RR Big Bruce synth, Williams soap (modern; as preshave), DRH Sandalwood soap, generic witch hazel, and Old Spice (modern) AS to finish!

Today was my day to get the kids to school, so I dun did. Got them there in record time, enough that they could sit for a second breakfast at school if they wanted...but of course one of my sons forgot their backpack at home, so I had to drive back out again to drop that off. Had to be something!

Shave went well though, only one beheaded follicle and some tenderness under the chin. DRH has softened ever so slightly and the lather is pretty decent. A step under Cella I’d say, which feels just a bit more rich and thick.

Going to be a long day, not too bad, but long, especially for the kids. The missus has a new class starting this evening, so the kids have to essentially spend the afternoon and evening at the church with me. Thankfully it’s a bible study meeting night so there’s pizza dinner for them!

Anyway, have a great Wednesday all!

Shave #86 (270 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: RR Game Changer .68, Rapira blade (4), RR Big Bruce synth, DRH Sandalwood soap, generic witch hazel, and Fine Clean Vetiver AS to finish!

Decided to do a GC only shave today, mostly to even up the shave count on the Rapira and Feather Pro, lol. Also was craving some good Vetiver scent, so my Fine sample was brought out.

Shave went really well! The GC .68 is always a smooth shave and gives great results, even if it does take a little clean up some times.

Lots of things to look forward to in the next few days! Decent work weekend ahead, TSC Groot Brush is on the way, and returns should be banked soon! Thankful to the Big Man upstairs for a time of some blessings!

Have a great Thursday all!

Top Bottom