What's new

First Shave with a Schick Type O

About two years ago, I stumbled upon a Schick Type O Injector razor on eBay. The gentleman who was selling it evidently didn't know what it was because he listed it in such a way that nobody would have turned it up in a search. Consequently, I picked it up for less than half of what I have seen others go for--in fact, I was the only bidder and got it for the opening bid price. It was not on a bubble card, which is the way that they were sold in Japan, but was in a clear plastic bag, the way they were sold by special order in the U.S.

My friend Tony (August West) urged me to try it and write a review, but I was hesitant because I knew how rare and valuable they were, so I have avoided opening the bag until now. About a month and a half ago, Tony again asked me to do a review, and I decided that there was no point in not using it as I was not planning to sell it on. I had to wait until now because I was 1200 miles away at the time. Well, I'm back now and I decided that today was the day.

The bag only contained the razor with a factory blank in it. Luckily, I have several injectors of the Japanese Schick II Twin blades for which it was designed, so I loaded it up for my shave.

It is a long-handled razor and most resembles my Type J4 or my Type L in size and overall configuration. The main differences are that the handle is more curved and has a grippy rubber or neoprene surface with many nubs which makes it very easy to hold without slipping. The head is set at the same angle to the handle as a Type L, but has little dimples on it like a Type N.

The shave was very smooth and comfortable and with a normal injector blade I would assume that it would shave much like a Type L or N. However, the Twin blade changed it into something else entirely. It was not at all rough, but it was certainly as efficient as any razor that I have ever tried. It reminded me of my Feather Injector with a Feather twin blade in it. It slid very silky smooth and comfortably over my face and gave me a wonderful shave with no irritation. In fact, by comparison a baby's butt would feel like 0000 grit sandpaper. :laugh:

In conclusion, I would have to say that the razor isn't totally outstanding, and would probably compare favorably with my Type L if it had a regular blade, but the Twin blade makes it outstanding and it easily compares with my Feather Injector or my Cobra Classic. All in all, I am delighted with the shave and will continue using it.

I don't have any way to attach a picture of my actual razor, but I will include some pics from the Internet.

View attachment 631959 $Schick Type O 2.jpg$Schick Type O 3.jpg

Attachments

• $Schick Type O 4.jpg
    $Schick Type O 4.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 140
About two years ago, I stumbled upon a Schick Type O Injector razor on eBay. The gentleman who was selling it evidently didn't know what it was because he listed it in such a way that nobody would have turned it up in a search. Consequently, I picked it up for less than half of what I have seen others go for--in fact, I was the only bidder and got it for the opening bid price. It was not on a bubble card, which is the way that they were sold in Japan, but was in a clear plastic bag, the way they were sold by special order in the U.S.

My friend Tony (August West) urged me to try it and write a review, but I was hesitant because I knew how rare and valuable they were, so I have avoided opening the bag until now. About a month and a half ago, Tony again asked me to do a review, and I decided that there was no point in not using it as I was not planning to sell it on. I had to wait until now because I was 1200 miles away at the time. Well, I'm back now and I decided that today was the day.

The bag only contained the razor with a factory blank in it. Luckily, I have several injectors of the Japanese Schick II Twin blades for which it was designed, so I loaded it up for my shave.

It is a long-handled razor and most resembles my Type J4 or my Type L in size and overall configuration. The main differences are that the handle is more curved and has a grippy rubber or neoprene surface with many nubs which makes it very easy to hold without slipping. The head is set at the same angle to the handle as a Type L, but has little dimples on it like a Type N.

The shave was very smooth and comfortable and with a normal injector blade I would assume that it would shave much like a Type L or N. However, the Twin blade changed it into something else entirely. It was not at all rough, but it was certainly as efficient as any razor that I have ever tried. It reminded me of my Feather Injector with a Feather twin blade in it. It slid very silky smooth and comfortably over my face and gave me a wonderful shave with no irritation. In fact, by comparison a baby's butt would feel like 0000 grit sandpaper. :laugh:

In conclusion, I would have to say that the razor isn't totally outstanding, and would probably compare favorably with my Type L if it had a regular blade, but the Twin blade makes it outstanding and it easily compares with my Feather Injector or my Cobra Classic. All in all, I am delighted with the shave and will continue using it.

I don't have any way to attach a picture of my actual razor, but I will include some pics from the Internet.

View attachment 631959View attachment 631960View attachment 631961
Great write up Steve..Those Twin Blades are Awesome... Folks that haven't tried them are loosing out Big Time..The Twin blades just totally transform a Schick Injector into something else..They are worth every Darn Penny..:w00t:

Billy

Congrats on the nice shave, Steve! And, thank you for sharing the experience. The Type O is really scarce and from those I have seen for sale, demands a dear price. Enjoy!

View attachment 631959View attachment 631960View attachment 631961

Steve - these are such fabulous looking razors and it's nice to read a great write up that gives a sense for how they actually shave. Congratulations on a fantastic score. :thumbup1:

Great writeup. Now there is another one to put on my wishlist. That list just keeps getting longer and longer.

For those wanting the O shaving experience without the price the N is nearly identical in performance. Nothing can duplicate the O due to its nice solid stainless handle and very comfortable grip, but it's nice to know that there is an affordable option to get a taste.

I suspect that you're right, but it's been a long, long time since I shaved with an N. I would recommend using the Schick II Twin blades with the N for a really good shave, though.

I suspect that you're right, but it's been a long, long time since I shaved with an N. I would recommend using the Schick II Twin blades with the N for a really good shave, though.
Hey..Steve..You should PIF that Type O over to Bonnie Scotland..That's a Young Bucks Injector..
proxy.php

Billy

You can't get any closer to an O-type than an N3, which falls right before it in the Schick conga line. I'm plenty happy with it. And I still prefer the single-blade Plus Platinums over the twin blades. The benchmark for injectors has been set, and the upcoming Supply Provisions all stainless version has its work cut out for it if it wants to match or exceed these vintage models.

Top Bottom