What's new

First shave with a Gillette open comb

As luck would have it the razor arrived on the day I was moving to a new apartment and I'd been busy all week, so there was healthy 5 day growth that needed attacking. I couldn't believe the way it tore through that beard and got a very close shave with ease and just 2 passes, one wtg and one xtg.

attachment.php

Mine's like the left hand one, but with less gold finish and the head is completely copper. Do these models have a name, or were they just labeled open comb razors?

It's a Gillette NEW. If you look through the threads here you'll find a lot of references to them. Open comb razors typically give a more aggressive shave, meaning closer, but with more liklihood of burn/irritation if you're careless about your angle, than safety bar razors like superspeeds. That said, many B&B members who use open comb razors find this to be a favorite. I know I do.

Glad it's working for you.

jim

I've only had one shave with it and I find it superior to the Slim and Fatboy adjustables. It looks a bit ugly, but boy can it shave, in the rotation and may go to number one.

The NEW razors come in a couple of variants/finishes. Your's is a thick-handled NEW, there's also a ball-handled version.

I have a ball-handled NEW and its one of my favourite razors - the aggressiveness is just about right for me and I get consistenly good shaves from it with no muss or fuss.

Glad you like yours.

Top Bottom