What's new

First shave ever with an open comb - NEW Short Comb

IMG_0192.JPG
Gents, this morning I did my first shave with my NEW Short Comb. And incidentally, my very first shave ever with an OC!

I did not go in unprepared, haven taken good advice from the knowledgable NEW folks in here, who themselves are warming up for next month's shaver of the month! - And I also prepared by reading various posts on the aggressiveness of this razor.

Well, loaded it up with a Feather blade on its 4th and last day. Was considering to use another blade, but back when I started DE shaving I very quickly started using Feathers, and whenever I have tried to switch to another supposedly milder blade I have ended up disappointed, feeling a lot of unpleasant tugging.

Then grabbed my current absolute favorite soap, the Stirling Orange Chill (perfect level of menthol and 100% natural orange scent), and loaded my Semogue 1520 boar and got to work.

And I must say, when I started the shave it was at first a strange feeling with the open comb, not unpleasant but just different. And a bit hard to get the angle right, I found. Either it was no sensation/audio feedback of actual cutting or a sense of the razor being somewhat more aggressive than my regular beloved mild shavers: AS-D2, Tech, Slim/FB/Black Beauty at '3' setting...

I continued to try out different angles during the 3-pass but did not feel I got it perfectly right. However I ended up with what felt like a very o.k. shave for this first go, though closer than I would normally like. A single small cut but no weepers. Then finished with Speick splash as always when breaking in a new razor because of this aftershave's amazing healing qualities. And felt quite some sting.

Now, 30 min later, I feel a very nice close shave, DFS at least, a bit of irritation but no redness. So I will conclude: a positive first go!

Happy days.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
OC razors feel very much different to me than SB razors too. Like you say, not unpleasant but different and I personally enjoy feeling the blade a bit more most times.

I found the NEW SC considerably more aggressive feeling than the LC and oddly yes, the angle is a bit harder to hold for some reason. Once you nail it though it shaves very well. Being use to using such mild razors, beware any pressure. I cant use my NEW SC the same as I can my post war Tech or my Rocket. For me it feels decidedly different than any other razor I own.

Experiment with different handles if you can. My SC seems more...friendly with the ball end Tech handle vs the thicker NEW handle.

Thumbs up on Stirling too!

Thanks, both, for your feedback and comments!

OC razors feel very much different to me than SB razors too. Like you say, not unpleasant but different and I personally enjoy feeling the blade a bit more most times.

I found the NEW SC considerably more aggressive feeling than the LC and oddly yes, the angle is a bit harder to hold for some reason. Once you nail it though it shaves very well. Being use to using such mild razors, beware any pressure. I cant use my NEW SC the same as I can my post war Tech or my Rocket. For me it feels decidedly different than any other razor I own.

Experiment with different handles if you can. My SC seems more...friendly with the ball end Tech handle vs the thicker NEW handle.

Thumbs up on Stirling too!

Thanks for good pointers, @Esox! - Yes, I was really keen on not applying pressure and I think that worked. As for handles good suggestion from you, I actually have a ball end Tech coming in and will try that handle on the SC too. And you have me really curious on trying a LC ;)

Do you think the feather is still sharp enough for one more shave?

No, I sometimes tried to get a 5th day out of the Feathers but most times ended up regretting it. The Feathers are wonderful specifically for their sharpness so I decided a while back to change blade after 4 days, no matter what :thumbup1:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
And you have me really curious on trying a LC

No question the LC a nice razor. If I didnt have rigidity issues with it over my trouble areas I'd be quite content with it. To me it feels almost as mild as a Tech, but you get the blade feel you noticed from the OC, which I like.

With a mild razor such as the Tech, I seem to prefer a beefier handle, but with the SC the thinner and seemingly lighter ball end handle just seems to...not sure how to put it, but it gives it a different feel. As I said, friendlier lol.

If you happen to have a Polsilver SI blade in your stash, you might try them. I find them nearly as sharp as a Feather, but much smoother. After my first shave with one I bought 200 before my razor was dry.

I really enjoy my New SC. Mine was purchased off the 'bay, and had the "thin" version of the bar handle. Works best for me with the 7 O'clock Super Stainless!
Vintage.jpg

Top Bottom