What's new

First Shave: disaster film of the lowest quality

Well I used a strait for the first time this morning. It was a disaster. I could t get the right shave angle to save my soul. I have three minor cuts to prove it. It has been so long since I cut myself (20 years at least).

The razor felt clumsy in my hand because I didn’t know how to use it. I was trying to use the whole blade and I don’t think that’s right. I think I should only use a bit of it at first.

In the end I dried it off and had to use my safety razor to finish.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Well I used a strait for the first time this morning. It was a disaster. I could t get the right shave angle to save my soul. I have three minor cuts to prove it. It has been so long since I cut myself (20 years at least).

The razor felt clumsy in my hand because I didn’t know how to use it. I was trying to use the whole blade and I don’t think that’s right. I think I should only use a bit of it at first.

In the end I dried it off and had to use my safety razor to finish.
To use the whole blade, you either have a very flat face or you were using far to much pressure. For blade shave angle, remember, only ½ to 1 spine thickness from the skin. The sharper the edge, the flatter the angle.

I hope that you persevere and don't loose heart. I think most SR shavers on their first went through similar to what you did on your first.

A lot of people suggest starting with just the cheeks until you get comfortable. I actually recommend starting below the jawline, as you can stretch the skin like crazy with one hand below and tilting your head above.

For the angle, lay the spine against your face, then lift it slightly until you just feel the edge make contact. Then, lift the whole thing off your face while maintaining that angle, and start your shaving motion while slowly bringing the blade back to your face. A shorter, semi buffing stroke works well to get started, then once you've made contact you can do a longer stroke. It's always easier to get a moving start than to start from a dead stop with the blade on your skin, the latter is a recipe for cuts.

I hope you keep trying. It does get easier.

I remember that feeling of holding the razor in my hand and thinking "what the hell am I doing? I don't know how to move this thing." That goes away reasonably quickly.

Learning to use essentially no pressure took much longer, especially for my right hand, which was well-trained on the cartridge idea that pressing makes for a closer shave, and is a great way to get at those neck hollows. Really bad idea with a straight.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
My hands were shaking so bad the first time I tried, it took a while before I could do more than a pass wtg down my cheek. It get MUCH better! Hang in there!

Stay the course. We have all been right where you are now. I had a similar experience. It will become second nature if you stick with it and don't give up.

Hang in there.

Despite my best preparations, my first experience was similarly disappointing as well. The most helpful advice given to me was "just remove the lather." I have had one SR shave since then using that advice, and it helped tremendously Be gentle, use a light touch, and it will come.

Despite my best preparations, my first experience was similarly disappointing as well. The most helpful advice given to me was "just remove the lather." I have had one SR shave since then using that advice, and it helped tremendously Be gentle, use a light touch, and it will come.

Great advice.

The monkey skills take a week or two to master. After that you’ll be diving I to stones and strops and grinds, you’ll get there don’t give up.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
My first shave was brutal. Not sharp enough to be comfortable, yet plenty sharp enough to cut me. Forced myself to bring that razor towards my mouth with all my sensibility screaming “NO!”. As others shared, do a bit at a time, where you feel most confident. Put the razor down, come back to it etc. It does take time and it will get better…guaranteed. Welcome and good luck!

I did it again today I did my left side no problem and most of my right side did my left neck partially before finishing with safety razor. No cuts.

Sounds to me like progress is being made.

That's how I shaved with my first straight razor for a week or two. Cheeks first, worked on the neck next. The chin is an entirely different adventure. Just take your time and do this correctly. Finishing with a DE is very smart and we've all done it and sometimes we still do.

You're getting the hang of things. Be patient with yourself.

Congrats, @Hawkeye_90! Just go at your own pace, stick with it and before long you will be enjoying better and more consistent shaves. Took me about 4 months (shaving every other day) for the different pieces to fit together.

You will also want to pay attention to having a sharp edge, moist lather, and stropping.

First shave, everything feels odd and the non-dominant hand feels even more odd. Trying to change angle with your non-dominant hand, while looking in the mirror, is all over the place, because it’s back to front in the mirror.

I found I got over that little hump on my fourth shave. It just felt quite a bit easier and more natural after that. Then I could start to think about actually shaving each area. For those first few shaves I found doing first pass with the DE razor helped a lot, so you can concentrate on moving the razor over your face to remove the foam, without the resistance of a days growth. There’s a couple of fairly big humps to get over in the first 7 or so shaves, then it seems to be steady improvement.

I did it again today I did my left side no problem and most of my right side did my left neck partially before finishing with safety razor. No cuts.
Progress is pretty quick in the beginning. Sounds like you’re getting the hang of it.

I actually cut myself very badly the other day and ended up with a long scar across my chin about 1 inch to 1 1/2 long. It wasn’t a deep cut but the scar is very noticeable.

Top Bottom