What's new

First SE Shave

I can relate to how you feel, but oddly enough, I cannot use DE razors to save my life, not even the Weshi clones. Now, bearing in mind my limited razor uses, I cannot say that DE is completely out for me. I first picked up a Parker 99r and used that for three years with Canned goo (Ouch) but it was a descent shaver if I didn't go for BBS or even a second pass. I'd feel like I was cheese grating my face if I did XTG or ATG, so I gave that up this year and went back to disposables for awhile as I cannot use a DE to save my life. Now, I just got a Schick type I and though I got a few minor weepers, it was the best damn shave next to a cartridge ever. The rigid blades and cartridge-like simplicity helped me to get what I feel was a pretty damn good shave, three passes, mind you, with upgraded can goo (shave gel).

You have to use the tool that feels right for your face. Injectors, straights, DE, GEM, cartridge, and artist club. All of these options are very unique with their own pros and cons. The idea is to pair up with the kit that works for you.

I can relate to how you feel, but oddly enough, I cannot use DE razors to save my life, not even the Weshi clones. Now, bearing in mind my limited razor uses, I cannot say that DE is completely out for me. I first picked up a Parker 99r and used that for three years with Canned goo (Ouch) but it was a descent shaver if I didn't go for BBS or even a second pass. I'd feel like I was cheese grating my face if I did XTG or ATG, so I gave that up this year and went back to disposables for awhile as I cannot use a DE to save my life. Now, I just got a Schick type I and though I got a few minor weepers, it was the best damn shave next to a cartridge ever. The rigid blades and cartridge-like simplicity helped me to get what I feel was a pretty damn good shave, three passes, mind you, with upgraded can goo (shave gel).

You have to use the tool that feels right for your face. Injectors, straights, DE, GEM, cartridge, and artist club. All of these options are very unique with their own pros and cons. The idea is to pair up with the kit that works for you.

If you study what the razor was designed to do and learn the angle that it works best while developing muscle memory, you will, over time, be able to use any type of razor and get the shave you are after, even a straight razor. It is just a matter of knowledge, time, and skills development. Congratulations again.

I went ahead and pulled out the Gem tonight. I had three days growth to work thru, and I am happy to say that this shave was much better than the first attempts.

Two passes WTG, then a third pass ATG everywhere except my neck.

BBS everywhere except for certain areas of my neck, which is nice. Actually, and this seems strange, but the ATG pass on my checks, lip and chin, felt more comfortable than the first two passes.

Just wanted to share. Take care everyone.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I went ahead and pulled out the Gem tonight. I had three days growth to work thru, and I am happy to say that this shave was much better than the first attempts.

Two passes WTG, then a third pass ATG everywhere except my neck.

BBS everywhere except for certain areas of my neck, which is nice. Actually, and this seems strange, but the ATG pass on my checks, lip and chin, felt more comfortable than the first two passes.

Just wanted to share. Take care everyone.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk
That's great news!!!! Thanks for the update, I was hoping things were going in a positive direction for you!!! And I find that approach works really well for me too: "Two passes WTG, then a third pass ATG everywhere except my neck."

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I just found this thread and my first shave with my MMOC mirrored your first shave. I put it away for months thinking the same as you, its just too much razor. Putting it away and not learning it was my mistake.

They need a different technique and they do shave differently, but once you find your angle and pressure combination, you'll love it. Stay with it and learn it, it only gets better.

I shaved for months single pass ATG at 48 hours growth and longer with my Fatip Grande. One ATG buffing pass, one clean up on my neck and a 12 hour BBS every time. Once I learned my MMOC it shaves ATG first pass easier, more comfortably and twice as efficiently. Pay attention to your direction of growth, keep a shallow angle, adjust pressure and shave with comfort in mind.

With a fresh PTFE blade I shave very shallow. As the blade wears, my angle steepens and the pressure I apply increases to get the same level of cut. Shaves 1-4 very shallow and I feel no blade at all. From shaves 5-7 the angle steepens so that I start feeling the blade. Shaves 8-10 are either done with a steeper angle, all comb and much less pressure, or more pressure with a shallower angle. The BBS is always around 14 hours.

Once you get it right, you may not go back to DE's.

Top Bottom