What's new

First SE Shave

Hey everyone,

I had my first SE shave tonight using my great grandfathers Gem razor and Gem blades.

I'm not sure how old the razor and blades are, but both are in great condition. The shave, though, was not. I couldn't even make it thru one pass before I switched to my trusty Merkur 33C . The shave caused many cuts and irritation, despite being careful and going slow.

Is the learning curve that steep? Should I try new blades?

I'd like to get some input before I give up and stick to DE razors.

I found the Gem 1912 requires a very shallow angle (hold the razor perpendicular to your face). I'm unsure of your exact razor that you used.

Not sure what kind, but here are some pics.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Not sure what kind, but here are some pics.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

That's a heavy flat top aka G bar. Top of head against your face. New blades not old ones. Stainless steel with PTFE for the blades. Can get a bunch from Ted Pella for a decent price. Some vendors on the bay and Etsy may also have them in smaller packs. I prefer my 1912 to the G bar I sold. But I didn't have any nostalgia attached to mine. My grandfather was a norelco rotatory electric razor guy. The G bar shouldnt be too steep a learning curve, just keep the head flat against your face and it should give a decent shave. Go sideways under the nose. Chin is hard. Decent razors, the gems. Injector and AC razors are more my cup of tea but to each their own.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It can be a steep learning curve. I found that I would start off with the head flat against my face but by the time I finished the stroke I had defaulted to the DE angle and performed a scrape on my face rather than a proper shaving stroke. My first shave with my Great Grandfathers Gem 1912 was pure carnage. Plus the corners of the blade hung over the blade tabs so I kept nicking myself with the blade corners. An SE razor will give you a great shave and your blades will last longer but I have found that you have to master it and I could not. I have stuck to DE for now.

Order this type from what vendor you prefer. GEM - Stainless Steel PTFE Coated - $0.50 each - Double Edge Razor Blade

If you want I can send you a couple PTFE blades to start. Just send me a PM with your address.

I have the same razor and it is mild compared to other models, but the wrong blade can make it into monster. Those may be paint scaper/box cutter blades you have and not intended for shaving.
Damn kind of you. I appreciate it. I'll PM you.

I don't want to give up SE shaving without trying some of the blades.

Just want to say I received the blades from twelvefret. Thanks again sir!

The blades he sent are much better.

I still have a learning curve to travel, but I welcome the adventure.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

You are very welcome. Can't say enough good about the GEM SE models. Enjoy the experience.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems

I hope your SE adventure/journey is going well. As someone who had a rough start moving from DE's to SE's, I just wanted to offer a few words of encouragement and maybe a couple of tried-and-true tips. It absolutely gets better, and I've found I get closer and nicer shaves with my Gem's than I do with any of my DE's. In addition to the basics that you hear over and over again (and with good reason), which are: no pressure (practically negative pressure), a shallow or ride the cap angle, and short strokes. Another tip that helped me was to choke up on the razor (hold it by the neck -- sort of helps with the angle and the pressure).

What really made it come together was dedicating myself to 1 razor for at least 7 straight shaves. I was switching back and forth between different razor "genres" (DE and SE) and within genre, different makes and models (Schick and Gem). I finally chose a razor, and on the 6th shave it felt like muscle memory had started to form. Reminds me of learning to ride a bike. I wasn't (and I'm still not) a coordinated individual, and it took me forever to stop falling. Then one day, I remember riding for a while and it occurred to me that I wasn't feeling shakey and the whole experience just clicked. Last week, I felt that "click" with SE shaving, and it's been awesome ever since. Good luck and don't hesitate to reach out if you need/want some help.

Tonight I completed my first 3 pass shave with the Gem. It wasn't good, folks.

I do think my technique and angle was good, but the shave was rough. I knew as I was shaving that I was giving myself razor burn, but I was determined to finish a full Gem shave for the first time.

The shave is close and about 95% BBS, but my neck is visibly and physically irritated. I currently have Neosporin on my neck.

I think the problem is with the blade thickness. The thicker blade does not "give" and flex like a DE blade does, and the rigidity of the SE blade is too much for my sensetive skin.

Assuming my technique was good, which I think it was, and assuming the rigid SE blade is the issue, my SE shaving adventures are over.

Am I calling it quits too soon? Is there another SE razor that might be better for sensetive skin?

I do think my technique and angle was good, but the shave was rough. I knew as I was shaving that I was giving myself razor burn, but I was determined to finish a full Gem shave for the first time.

The shave is close and about 95% BBS, but my neck is visibly and physically irritated. I currently have Neosporin on my neck.

I think the problem is with the blade thickness. The thicker blade does not "give" and flex like a DE blade does, and the rigidity of the SE blade is too much for my sensetive skin.

Assuming my technique was good, which I think it was, and assuming the rigid SE blade is the issue, my SE shaving adventures are over.

Am I calling it quits too soon? Is there another SE razor that might be better for sensetive skin?

Well shoot, sorry for the misadventure. :(

First shave with a ER 1912 I was just given, with a new PTFE blade. Love the feel, weight and balance. Blade is very sharp. My technique was in the ballpark but could clearly improve with some face mapping.

This was an easy and very encouraging start to GEM shaving, and goes directly into my rotation with ATT SE1 and Rockwell 6C. Hard to pick a winner out of these three, though I suspect that right now the ATT SE1 is a bit ahead since the 50mm blade just sails around my face with the minimum of irritation and strokes.

The ER 1912 is a damn fine razor!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems

I'm sorry to hear that. A couple of other thoughts, then I'll shut up. My first couple of shaves with an SE were with my Schick E2 and the results sound eerily similar to yours. I could have sworn (and still do) that my technique -- at least on my 2nd shave -- was correct -- but my neck had the worst razor burn I had ever experienced, and the alum block lit my face up like I had set fire to it. It was a VERY close shave, but clearly something went wrong.

Now my lower neck has always been an ultra sensitive area and could get some temporary irritation, but the resulting razor burn was way beyond that, so here's what I did:
  1. As @les24preludes said above, I REALLY paid attention to the mapping of my problem area and stopped going ATG completely -- I was also careful with the XTG pass. I also limited the number of passes on it, and kept it to light short strokes. Basically I lowered the stubble as much as I could for a socially-acceptable look, and then called it done.
  2. I stopped using the alum block. I used to use it to "grade" my shaving technique, and to stop weepers....but after reading some threads on razor burns here, it seemed that a small consensus of folks had abandoned their alum post shave for witchhazel and it helped. Witchhazel (I use Thayers Rose) feels a heck of a lot better than alum on my face and now I only pull out the alum if I have any weepers....which I haven't had since using the SE blades.
  3. I also switched to more of a cold water shave, and definitely a cold water rinse. The cold water seems to help any irritation from too close a shave.
  4. I did all of the above and I set my Schick aside (only temporarily) and moved back to one of my favorite DE's to give my face an SE-break. Basically, I couldn't stop shaving, but I needed the razor burn to heal, which is did after a couple of DE shaves.
  5. Lastly, and this is may not be possible if you're not loaded with other SE razors, when I did return to shaving I left my Schick E2 in it's "time out" and move to trying a Gem -- the Gem Micromatic Open Comb. Most people would've probably tried something "tamer", but I like efficient razors and I just went slowly and carefully. I did get some minor irritation -- very minor compared to the SE -- but it was still there. It took me 4 shaves before I seemed to develop a technique for that razor-burn-prone area, but I got there.
All that said, only you know if you want to climb back on that horse. Even with the razor burn, I liked the closeness and the experience of the SE shaves, and sadly, I've never been a one-trial learner at anything in life (I've got the physical and mental scars to prove it); so there's no judgement with whatever you decide. If you do decide to "climb back on", I would go slow and not hurt yourself. If you do some or all of the above, and specifically, if you take a break and come back to it: I would stop the next time you try the Gem and are feeling like it's going too close, and finish with your DE. Also, I would limit the Gem to a single "light" pass, and if it's not close enough, then finish with your DE. I believe it's possible that you'd get there with "baby steps", but hey, it may also be that SE isn't for you and your face, and that's okay too.

Geez, my post always look and feel like I'm writing a novel, no matter how concise I try to be....guess I'm going to be "that guy" -- sorry folks, and I hope this helpful.

I'm sorry to hear that. A couple of other thoughts, then I'll shut up. My first couple of shaves with an SE were with my Schick E2 and the results sound eerily similar to yours. I could have sworn (and still do) that my technique -- at least on my 2nd shave -- was correct -- but my neck had the worst razor burn I had ever experienced, and the alum block lit my face up like I had set fire to it. It was a VERY close shave, but clearly something went wrong.

Now my lower neck has always been an ultra sensitive area and could get some temporary irritation, but the resulting razor burn was way beyond that, so here's what I did:
  1. As @les24preludes said above, I REALLY paid attention to the mapping of my problem area and stopped going ATG completely -- I was also careful with the XTG pass. I also limited the number of passes on it, and kept it to light short strokes. Basically I lowered the stubble as much as I could for a socially-acceptable look, and then called it done.
  2. I stopped using the alum block. I used to use it to "grade" my shaving technique, and to stop weepers....but after reading some threads on razor burns here, it seemed that a small consensus of folks had abandoned their alum post shave for witchhazel and it helped. Witchhazel (I use Thayers Rose) feels a heck of a lot better than alum on my face and now I only pull out the alum if I have any weepers....which I haven't had since using the SE blades.
  3. I also switched to more of a cold water shave, and definitely a cold water rinse. The cold water seems to help any irritation from too close a shave.
  4. I did all of the above and I set my Schick aside (only temporarily) and moved back to one of my favorite DE's to give my face an SE-break. Basically, I couldn't stop shaving, but I needed the razor burn to heal, which is did after a couple of DE shaves.
  5. Lastly, and this is may not be possible if you're not loaded with other SE razors, when I did return to shaving I left my Schick E2 in it's "time out" and move to trying a Gem -- the Gem Micromatic Open Comb. Most people would've probably tried something "tamer", but I like efficient razors and I just went slowly and carefully. I did get some minor irritation -- very minor compared to the SE -- but it was still there. It took me 4 shaves before I seemed to develop a technique for that razor-burn-prone area, but I got there.
All that said, only you know if you want to climb back on that horse. Even with the razor burn, I liked the closeness and the experience of the SE shaves, and sadly, I've never been a one-trial learner at anything in life (I've got the physical and mental scars to prove it); so there's no judgement with whatever you decide. If you do decide to "climb back on", I would go slow and not hurt yourself. If you do some or all of the above, and specifically, if you take a break and come back to it: I would stop the next time you try the Gem and are feeling like it's going too close, and finish with your DE. Also, I would limit the Gem to a single "light" pass, and if it's not close enough, then finish with your DE. I believe it's possible that you'd get there with "baby steps", but hey, it may also be that SE isn't for you and your face, and that's okay too.

Geez, my post always look and feel like I'm writing a novel, no matter how concise I try to be....guess I'm going to be "that guy" -- sorry folks, and I hope this helpful.
Very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

I'm not giving up yet. I'll give my neck some time to recover, then give it another go.

I will describe how the next shave goes...

Slick lather, light pressure, and shallow angle.

If you are trying to feel the blade, don't! "Listen" for stubble being cut.

First shave on a GEM SS PTFE can be harsh, especially if your technique is off. After 1-2 shaves the blade tones down. I've never done it, but look up palm stropping the blade, they say it takes away that first shave harshness. I personally look forward to the first shave, I can easily one and done a GEM blade(I don't), it's the best shave.

Very encouraging brother man. :a14:

Slick lather, light pressure, and shallow angle.

If you are trying to feel the blade, don't! "Listen" for stubble being cut.

First shave on a GEM SS PTFE can be harsh, especially if your technique is off. After 1-2 shaves the blade tones down. I've never done it, but look up palm stropping the blade, they say it takes away that first shave harshness. I personally look forward to the first shave, I can easily one and done a GEM blade(I don't), it's the best shave.
That's true. A GEM razor as audible just like the "report" of a hollow straight.

After such great advice yesterday I gave it another go.

I rode the cap the whole time, and only shaved my cheeks before I changed over to my Merkur Progress.

I'm back to taking it slow.

Top Bottom