What's new

First Schick Injector!

If you couldn't tell by the exclamation point, I am extremely pleased with this "new" razor. I recently got what I think is a G8 on etsy -
IMG_20170818_104405970_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170818_104417559_HDR.jpg

One shave in the books with a chick and I am very pleased. This thing mowed through stubble like nothing. Like the SPSSI, it felt effortless, the angle seemed very intuitive, and the blade really carved through the hair like no other blade I have tried. Unlike the SPSSI, I like the overall feel on the face. There was something about that matte SS finish that didn't agree with me. All in all, this little puppy gave a close, comfortable, near effortless shave. I was surprised at one thing though. I had 5 weepers in various spots, never felt a thing. I could've sworn my pressure was light and it didn't seem possible, but there it is. Maybe this is a new blade thing and will diminish, or just need to pay a bit more attention on that ATG, but I'm not complaining, I didn't even feel any of them with the AS, which normally I would.

I have heard the Injector guys talking these up and was pretty eager to try one out, and I'm very glad I did.

Congrats!! Nice looking razor!! I like how effortless an injector shaves... but they can and will bite if you let your guard down ;-)

The thicker blade can cause that... due to it being stiffer, it cuts through little skin bumps like nothing :D

Great one!!

I too enjoy injectors. Watch out that rabbits hole goes deep. These are just my G's with a couple of E's on the left. You should try an "L".

Schick Injector Collection.jpg

" I had 5 weepers in various spots, never felt a thing. I could've sworn my pressure was light and it didn't seem possible, but there it is."

That's the problem with a very "light" razor and a very sharp blade.

You might have lost the angle in those spots. Remember that an SE blade wants to be as close to parallel with the skin as possible. Any greater angle and you are scraping, rather than cutting--although it is hard to go too far wrong with an injector. If it is too shallow or too steep, the injector razor lifts the blade off of your face.

That's actually a G1 (seamed white handle). The G8 has a plastic handle with ridged triangular areas.

Thanks for the i.d. I used this site - Schick Injector Razors to help i.d., but I thought the ridges referred to the molded corners on mine. I saw a G8 looking for more pictures and see the difference now.

Congrats!! Nice looking razor!! I like how effortless an injector shaves... but they can and will bite if you let your guard down ;-)

That's the problem with a very "light" razor and a very sharp blade.

You might have lost the angle in those spots. Remember that an SE blade wants to be as close to parallel with the skin as possible. Any greater angle and you are scraping, rather than cutting--although it is hard to go too far wrong with an injector. If it is too shallow or too steep, the injector razor lifts the blade off of your face.

Hmm, light and sharp, what was Col. Schick up to? There's something to it, I must say, and I'll fine tune it with more shaves. I feel like "effortless" gets bandied about on B&B quite often, but for me, this was every bit of it. Nothing else I've tried compares to that.

I too enjoy injectors. Watch out that rabbits hole goes deep. These are just my G's with a couple of E's on the left. You should try an "L".

Nice collection. My head is well in the rabbit hole, and I'm just making room for my shoulders right now. I like the look of the old ones that fold up, and the new ones, oh, and the ones from the in between years, they look good, too.

My head is well in the rabbit hole, and I'm just making room for my shoulders right now. I like the look of the old ones that fold up, and the new ones, oh, and the ones from the in between years, they look good, too.
It's definitely worth getting a few as there are differences between and within the various families. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the G1 but love the G8 which has a slightly different head geometry.

The common versions of the Schick Injectors can usually be had pretty inexpensively. The potentially expensive ones are the Repeaters (A-C), D, F (made only for a short time before WWII), gold-handled G's, specialty L's, and O. @GarnerPW mentioned getting an L1, I'd second that but also suggest an I or J-series razor. (My first Injector was a J1.)

The I Type is actually my favorite one of the bunch.... The L Type was used by Roger Moore as James Bond in "live and Let Die"... not a bad shave either...

@GarnerPW mentioned getting an L1, I'd second that but also suggest an I or J-series razor. (My first Injector was a J1.)

Thanks for the recommendations, gents. It seems like that Bond reference is a big selling point on the bay. Several listings mentioned it was the one he shaved with and called it a historic razor. I'll be looking.

Thanks for the recommendations, gents. It seems like that Bond reference is a big selling point on the bay. Several listings mentioned it was the one he shaved with and called it a historic razor. I'll be looking.
Interesting... I hadn't noticed the Bond references before. Frankly, the L1 may be historic but the black-handled ones are pretty common. It's more of a challenge to find a Stick Schick, Schick Grip, Easy Rider, Revere, or Championship Edition.

I agree that the injectors are the easiest razor to shave with and can give a fantastic shave. I am About to give up on my single edge and DE razors in favor of the injector.

I agree that the injectors are the easiest razor to shave with and can give a fantastic shave. I am About to give up on my single edge and DE razors in favor of the injector.

I came to a similar conclusion about 10 months ago. I think I've only used a DE once this year. An injector is so much easier to use as the angle is intuitive. I enjoy the whole concept and practice of traditional shaving and using an injector is so much easier and to me at least more comfortable than a DE.

I came to a similar conclusion about 10 months ago. I think I've only used a DE once this year. An injector is so much easier to use as the angle is intuitive. I enjoy the whole concept and practice of traditional shaving and using an injector is so much easier and to me at least more comfortable than a DE.

As much as I like my injectors, and I agree that they are extremely intuitive (is it by chance that the first cartridge razors resembled the general shape and angle of an injector??) but the lack of blade selection is keeping me in the DE realm.... also a reason why I only use my SE razors rather sparingly. Wish there would be more blades out there (not talking about vintage... too hard to find and expensive)

As much as I like my injectors, and I agree that they are extremely intuitive (is it by chance that the first cartridge razors resembled the general shape and angle of an injector??) but the lack of blade selection is keeping me in the DE realm.... also a reason why I only use my SE razors rather sparingly. Wish there would be more blades out there (not talking about vintage... too hard to find and expensive)
How many choices do you want? Let's see, currently in production are:
  • Chinese Schick single blades (a.k.a., Chicks)
  • "Ted Pella" blades (made by Personna for laboratory use), also sold by Supply for the Single Edge
  • Personna Mini Hair Shaper blades (same blades, but in keyless magazine; need to be cross-loaded into regular injector
  • Japanese Schick single blades (can be purchased from eBay or Rakuten sellers)
  • Japanese Schick Twin blades (ditto)
  • Japanese Schick Proline B-20 blades, another hair shaper blade that needs to be cross-loaded but really sharp and smooth (check Rakuten sellers)
Then there is the option which some people take of cutting down an AC blade and using it. Supposedly, this opens up some really interesting blade options. Obviously, these also need to be cross-loaded to a regular injector.

It looks like my injector might come apart for cleaning. Is that right? Maybe use a screwdriver and pliers to flex the rounded tab under the head, which would then free up the plate underneath from the rest of the head?

Also, two more shaves in the books. 1 great, 1 not so great. I went super light and low angle and ended up with a very nice shave. This handle might be a touch too aggressive, but still, a very nice, comfy shave.

It looks like my injector might come apart for cleaning. Is that right? Maybe use a screwdriver and pliers to flex the rounded tab under the head, which would then free up the plate underneath from the rest of the head?

DON'T DO IT!

In theory, you could but you would likely end up messing up the spring (the round part) and screw up the pressure on the blade base. Shortest way to ruin a G-type.

Only the early E-types were set up to allow the spring to be swung aside and the inside opened.

I have two Schicks: an L and an M. The M is the best razor I've ever used. I sold all my DEs and shavettes once I tried it. Nothing else comes close.

I don't need more than one brand of blade. It it works why change. I like to work on the idea of if it works don't mess with it. I love an injector. I am on the look out for a M in the wild. I have seen them in the past, but now that I am looking, I haven't found one yet. I know ther out there. I'll just keep looking until I find one at the right price.

Top Bottom