What's new

First Schick Injector!

As much as I like my injectors, and I agree that they are extremely intuitive (is it by chance that the first cartridge razors resembled the general shape and angle of an injector??) but the lack of blade selection is keeping me in the DE realm.... also a reason why I only use my SE razors rather sparingly. Wish there would be more blades out there (not talking about vintage... too hard to find and expensive)

I have decided in favor of the shaves, so I have committed to my SE's. However, I do wholeheartedly agree that the lack of variety is discouraging at times.

How many choices do you want? Let's see, currently in production are:
  • Chinese Schick single blades (a.k.a., Chicks)
  • "Ted Pella" blades (made by Personna for laboratory use), also sold by Supply for the Single Edge
  • Personna Mini Hair Shaper blades (same blades, but in keyless magazine; need to be cross-loaded into regular injector
  • Japanese Schick single blades (can be purchased from eBay or Rakuten sellers)
  • Japanese Schick Twin blades (ditto)
  • Japanese Schick Proline B-20 blades, another hair shaper blade that needs to be cross-loaded but really sharp and smooth (check Rakuten sellers)
Then there is the option which some people take of cutting down an AC blade and using it. Supposedly, this opens up some really interesting blade options. Obviously, these also need to be cross-loaded to a regular injector.

Ok... looks like there are some options that I didn't know about!! Thank you for sharing!! Currently I have the Ted Pella.. great blade. The others do sound interesting. The thing that I don't like about that (and partially didn't mention) is when things have to be made to fit. Adapted. Yes.. its very possible to do so. I love to experiment. But.... for a daily shave I prefer to use equipment that runs out of the box. That's also what I would recommend to someone new... there are just too many variables that someone who has not used an injector yet, could mess up. I will check into those blades though. Thank you!!

Ok... looks like there are some options that I didn't know about!! Thank you for sharing!! Currently I have the Ted Pella.. great blade. The others do sound interesting. The thing that I don't like about that (and partially didn't mention) is when things have to be made to fit. Adapted. Yes.. its very possible to do so. I love to experiment. But.... for a daily shave I prefer to use equipment that runs out of the box. That's also what I would recommend to someone new... there are just too many variables that someone who has not used an injector yet, could mess up. I will check into those blades though. Thank you!!

All of the blades mentioned by @jruschme will fit any injector razor, although the hair shaper blades do not come with an injector key, so must be loaded into an empty injector magazine having a key. What he does not mention is that there are dozens of very good NOS injector blades available on eBay, some of which are considered by members of the forum to be even better than the currently manufactured blades.

All of the blades mentioned by @jruschme will fit any injector razor, although the hair shaper blades do not come with an injector key, so must be loaded into an empty injector magazine having a key. What he does not mention is that there are dozens of very good NOS injector blades available on eBay, some of which are considered by members of the forum to be even better than the currently manufactured blades.

As much as I love a good vintage blade (I have many for my DE razors like Rotbart Extra Dunn, Gillette Blue and Wilkinson Sword "Dreifach Veredelt") that give me great shaves to the point of outperforming most modern ones, the difficulty is availability. You're very dependent on what is still available and what you are willing to pay for it. Big downside ;-)
I have a pack of vintage PAL injector blades that have yet to be tried... could be interesting.

The Ted Pella have agreed with me just fine up until now, so I have no real complaints. This is more a theoretical matter of discussion.

I like the Ted Pella/Personna injector blades too. I've only used one, for a week, in my E3, but it gave me no issues. I'll be trying some more of the Ted Pella blades in more of my injector razors, coming up for SEptember 2017.

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a plastic box that contained a NDC Gillette Super Speed and a maybe half used up Schick Injector blade bank, so I'll be trying a couple of those as well, for comparison.

When you hurt your face with a bad shave, you need to let it heal properly before trying some "polishing" foolishness right the next shave...

Top Bottom