What's new

First reknot

As a new DE user, I purchased a VDH Deluxe kit and have been generally happy with it. The bowl is useful and I've found that the boar brush has broken in nicely. A Wolf Whiskers boar just joined the stable along with a dinky AOS intro kit badger brush that I'll save as a travel brush.

Since then, I've purchased Proraso green and am working through several Stirling Soap samples. I know, it's SAD ;^). Now I'm ready to expand into better badger brushes. Since I like to learn new things and work with my hands, I purchased three drilled out handles and two TGN badger knots (one finest and one 3 band).

I think the black and white handle is my favorite. It also needs to be opened up a bit more and there is a small burn mark on it. These things mean I'll save it for a time when I can devote a bit more attention to it. (Can these be sanded to remove marks?)

Trying both knots in each handle, I decided that the dark lower of the finest knot looks best with the lighter handle. Here are the brushes just before glueing in the knots.

A few lead weights hot glued into each handle will give them a bit more heft and create a shelf for the knots. Marine epoxy should make sure they stay put for a long time.

Sorry about the pictures. I assume they will be attached sideways as I see them. This is my first post with pictures but I'll figure it out!

So what do you think? I'm already fighting SAD and RAD. Looks like I'm in for a bout of SBAD!

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1389464710455.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1389464710455.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 133
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1389465249260.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1389465249260.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 134
Looks good. Although I have to say the knots look rather tall. Possibly making them real limp without enough backbone. Do you have an approximate height?

I don't have a measurement but I couldn't push the knots in any further without opening up the hole a bit. I have read a bit about "loft." Is that the dimension you're interested in?

The knots aren't epoxied yet so I have the opportunity to make adjustments.

I don't have a measurement but I couldn't push the knots in any further without opening up the hole a bit. I have read a bit about "loft." Is that the dimension you're interested in?

The knots aren't epoxied yet so I have the opportunity to make adjustments.

Yes. Using a inch ruler will get you close once you convert it to mm. Also may I suggest using silicon as this will give you temporary but firm set on your knot and will make it easier to remove in case you don't like it's performance. Just used this in liberal amounts and will have a go at it tonight.
proxy.php

I didn't realize you could set a knot temporarily! With silicon, do you just twist and pull to get the knot out without damaging it? Is there a rule of thumb for the loft height that I can use as a start point?

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Generally the loft is about twice the diameter, but it can vary significantly.
I have a chubby style brush with a 28mm knot, and a 48 mm loft.
I have a restored ever ready with 23 knot and 52 loft, it is a bit floppy.

I compared the loft to my current boar brushes and the badge are maybe 3/8" taller. Would a badger loft slightly lower my current boar loft be appropriate?

Hmmm. These are small knots, 20 mm. I assume that I really wouldn't want a 40 mm loft. Seems awfully short.

I didn't realize you could set a knot temporarily! With silicon, do you just twist and pull to get the knot out without damaging it? Is there a rule of thumb for the loft height that I can use as a start point?

Silicon is pretty soft and that's what appealed to me. From previous experience around the house a good razor blade cuts right throuugh it and a little sanding get's rid of it. Unlike my 45 minute battle getting out the old knot in my Rubberset 400 where they used industrial grade glue which STUNK(gave me a nice headache too) was near impossible to drill out. I even used a carbide sanding drill bit. Didn't phase it.

So I have the red/cream handle set in epoxy. I decided to forego the temporary set and went straight to permanent. Here are the particulars.

Handle: Labeled "Pure Nylon N 1" Height - 49 mm
Knot: TGN 3 Band nylon
Loft: 48 mm

I'll finish the white/clear handle with the Finest knot for another day!

BTW Looked at my records and realized I purchased one badger finest, one boar and one nylon 3 band. The synthetic is the softest by far... at least dry.

Finished the cream/clear handle by putting the finest badger knot in it. Thanks to all the comments about the loft (on both brushes). I did reduce them down based on your input and I think it made a big difference. Here are the particulars on the second brush.

Handle: Labeled "C2" Height - 47 mm
Knot: TGN Finest Badger
Loft: 49 mm

I know have two more brushes in the stable!

$2014-01-14 14.13.06.jpg

I used the synthetic (maroon/cream) this morning. No problem lathering on Stirling soap. Held a tad more water than my boar brushes. Not a problem. Just means I don't need to add a bit more water for the 2nd and 3rd passes like with a boar brush. It was so soft, I somewhat missed the scrub of boar. It does have plenty of backbone for a soft soap like Stirling. I don't have any hard soaps loaded in a mug right now but I am interested in trying it.

Top Bottom