What's new

Favorite Knot You've Purchased and Why

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I have a few brush handles that I've turned and have yet to set knots in them. I'm in the 2023 G.R.U.Y.E.R.E. and have not purchased any shave related gear this year. The year is drawing to a close and my temptations to acquire too much stuff has disappeared, so I won't participate in 2024. That means it will be time to find and set a few knots after the first of the year.

I'd like to know of KNOTS that you have purchased that you like, where they were purchased from, why you like them and any other thoughts you'd care to share. Most of us like to drool over a picture or two as well so don't be shy. Many of these will wind up being PIFed into the B&B community as I figure out what I'm doing.

Happy shaves!

Shavemac Manchurian. I absolutely love the thicker shaft providing a bit more backbone than the thinner silvertip, but the Manchurian hair has wonderfully soft tips. So I have a firm cloud to lather with!

But please also consider boar, particularly the Zenith unbleached boar knots... superb!!!!!

I think I've had better luck with purchasing knots than I have with brushes, although I never realized it until I saw your post. Much of that may be due to the fact that when I am making up a brush myself, I can experiment with the loft and get it just where I want it. Even with vendors who will set the knot to your desired loft, it's difficult to know ahead of time what loft you prefer with the specific knot. Here are the knots that have worked will for me. I have both a Maggard 2 Band SHD and a regular Maggard 2 Band. The SHD is installed in an AP Shave beehive handle, the 2 Band in an old Made Rite handle. Neither has shed at all, both have a good balance between backbone and softness. I'm not sure that the SHD is worth the premium you have to pay over the regular 2 Band, but I'm very happy with both of those purchases. A few years back I made up a couple of brushes with TGN 2 band knots, and I was very happy with them, but they have multiple grades and I don't remember what I chose. I'm also quite pleased with a couple of synthetic knots that I've purchased: a Muhle STF XL from AP Shave which I installed in a Yaqi Rainbow handle, and a PAA Roswell Grey that I installed in a Yaqi Segrada Familia handle and use as my travel brush.

Shavemac Manchurian. I absolutely love the thicker shaft providing a bit more backbone than the thinner silvertip, but the Manchurian hair has wonderfully soft tips. So I have a firm cloud to lather with!

But please also consider boar, particularly the Zenith unbleached boar knots... superb!!!!!
Dave,
I don’t remember Shavemac calling any of their hairs Manchurian. Could it be their 2band silvertip or possibly DO1-2band?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
AP ShaveCo 28mm UHD – makes lather beyond my skill level
AP ShaveCo 24mm G5A - does everything a knot should do even if it doesn’t make up for my lack of skills
AP ShaveCo 30mm Cashmere - it’s so fluffy I could disappear in its bristles
AP ShaveCo 28mm Silksmoke - soft tips and lots of backbone
Maggards 30mm Tuxedo - my first real knot and simply delightful
Mühle 23mm STF - feels so “plain” while working so perfectly

AP ShaveCo 28mm UHD – makes lather beyond my skill level
AP ShaveCo 24mm G5A - does everything a knot should do even if it doesn’t make up for my lack of skills
AP ShaveCo 30mm Cashmere - it’s so fluffy I could disappear in its bristles
AP ShaveCo 28mm Silksmoke - soft tips and lots of backbone
Maggards 30mm Tuxedo - my first real knot and simply delightful
Mühle 23mm STF - feels so “plain” while working so perfectly
I have had great luck with one of their cashmere knots in their uBrush handle, it may well be my favorite brush.

Dave,
I don’t remember Shavemac calling any of their hairs Manchurian. Could it be their 2band silvertip or possibly DO1-2band?
I have two brushes from Rudy Vey with Manchurian knots. They are superb! One is in a barbershop handle he did as a LE in 2019 with the handle having Manchurian engraved on the bottom. The other I had Rudy set the knot in a narrow Polo handle for me & Manchurian was selected. Rudy told me it was the last 26mm fan Manchurian he had. I assumed since they were from Rudy that they were Shavemac. I have never asked where they came from. You have done more research than I have on the subject. Where Rudy acquired the Manchurian knots from, I do not know. Thank you for the question.

I have two brushes from Rudy Vey with Manchurian knots. They are superb! One is in a barbershop handle he did as a LE in 2019 with the handle having Manchurian engraved on the bottom. The other I had Rudy set the knot in a narrow Polo handle for me & Manchurian was selected. Rudy told me it was the last 26mm fan Manchurian he had. I assumed since they were from Rudy that they were Shavemac. I have never asked where they came from. You have done more research than I have on the subject. Where Rudy acquired the Manchurian knots from, I do not know. Thank you for the question.
Thanks for the follow up, Dave.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
They were not from Shavemac. I had purchased them from a Chinese supplier, who a few times sent me good knots. So good, I used them for some group buys. The last purchase was a lot of extremely scritchy knots, and this finally convinced me that I will settle on Shavemac as my sole supplier for badger hair knots. I would never sell them under the Shavemac name.

They were not from Shavemac. I had purchased them from a Chinese supplier, who a few times sent me good knots. So good, I used them for some group buys. The last purchase was a lot of extremely scritchy knots, and this finally convinced me that I will settle on Shavemac as my sole supplier for badger hair knots. I would never sell them under the Shavemac name.
I never was led to think they were Shavemac. Rudy, I’m sorry if my post came across like that. I love those Manchurians regardless of their origin.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I appreciate all the above input, and I will follow up. That being said here is what I unpacked today-

That is a picture of 10 shave brush knots that @Badger in the Sun was kind enough to PIF to me so this novice can start to find his way into brush making.

I am humbled and look forward to sending them back into the B&B community.

Attachments

• 20231222_145553.jpg
    20231222_145553.jpg
    1,011.7 KB · Views: 8

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

David, what Shavemac knot is considered to be Manchurian? I'm unaware of such a knot, and would be interested in knowing about one. Probably ancient in Shavemac years and Unobtanium.

I have a D01 two band and a non-D01 two band but don't consider either to be Manchurian. Perhaps I'm wrong.

A Shavemac Manchurian sounds great, but I'm unclear on your meaning (or something).

Happy shaves,

Jim

David, what Shavemac knot is considered to be Manchurian? I'm unaware of such a knot, and would be interested in knowing about one. Probably ancient in Shavemac years and Unobtanium.

I have a D01 two band and a non-D01 two band but don't consider either to be Manchurian. Perhaps I'm wrong.

A Shavemac Manchurian sounds great, but I'm unclear on your meaning (or something).

Happy shaves,

Jim

See Rudy’s explanation. I was mistaken, they are not Shavemac knots.

My favorite synth is still the STF, courtesy of Rudy Vey. I like Semogue SOC badgers but noticed the prices have gone up when looking recently to replace the Finest I sold. SOC Misturas are still reasonable but have increased in price as well.

Honorable mention to APShaveCo's MiG synthetic knot.

Top Bottom