What's new

First puck of D.R. Harris - wow!

My wife surprised me with a new Timeless the other day, and for whatever reason I decided that I wanted to get a "fancy" soap to use with it. I have always wanted to try a D.R. Harris soap but the $40 price tag really put me off. Nonetheless, I decided on Windsor and ordered that along with a sample of both the Windsor and Arlington aftershaves.

Guys...this soap is amazing! I can't believe how easily it lathers, how rich and slick the lather is, and how great it smells. I was truly expecting to be disappointed from a "it's a good soap but not worth the price tag" perspective but I now see that the reputation for luxury is well-deserved. That's exactly the description I would assign to the whole experience - luxurious. I think I changed my vote for the "if you had to pick just one soap" thing.

I will say that the reason I bought Windsor was because of the comparisons to Terre d'Hermes, which was my signature scent for years. It is most definitely quite similar, but a bit...more understated? Oddly enough, the Arlington a/s smelled horrid to me at first (lemon candy and nail polish remover?) but after a minute or so it settled in nicely.

it's a good soap but not worth the price tag.

Is hard to compare Windsor with Terre D'Hermes. They have a similar earthy vibe, but that's about all there is to compare. It's hard to compare Terre D'Hermes with anything that does not smell like an orange. If you like Terre d'Hermes, you can get Fine L'Orange Noir, that's pretty much the same scent.

well, it doesn't have to cost $40. you buy the refill pucks for $18 and leave the mahogany bowl out of the price.

Now that you have one mahogany bowl, just buy refills in other scents for it. I have 3 Harris bowls (2 mahogany and 1 beech) and I've tried 5 scents. My favorite Harris, Almond, resides in an old Arlington bowl.

How long does one of these pucks last...I know YMMV. But for a three pass daily shave.

A long time. Can't say exactly how long but this is a pretty hard soap. Not the absolute hardest soap that I have (that would be PdP, I think) but it is on the harder side for sure and I would expect it to last a long while. Windsor is a very nice scent.

or, you can grab a travel size shave stick, usually for under $15.

ccb7b1e4afa8f8c7fcefe536fbd4a0d3.jpg

Buy the refill puck, and use your own bowl.... Brings the price down. I have mine in small silver, hand hammered cup I bought for $4.

Good soap, I have Arlington, but not my favorite. I find Tabac and several Stirling Soaps to be thicker and slicker.

Oddly enough, the Arlington a/s smelled horrid to me at first (lemon candy and nail polish remover?) but after a minute or so it settled in nicely.
I never had the after shave, but the soap smelled great.

My experience with soaps and after shaves, is that often they smell completely different or had something chemical to it.
More than once I've been disappointed by the after shave, while I really liked the soap or cream with the "same" scent.

If you like the Windsor scent, give the Arlington a try! BTW, I was in Maggards Razors a few days ago browsing their inventory, and the scent of the Windsor cream was far stronger to my nose than the hard soap puck. Very pleasant scents!

Like the Windsor cologne a lot. Always wanted to get the matching soap and aftershave to go with it. But I currently have a good supply of soaps and aftershaves that I'm not sure I can justify it right now.

DRHarris is awesome shaving soap!
I've been using their soap for years.
I have the Arlington, sandalwood, Marlborough and 2 x Windsor.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I just finished up a puck of Marlborough. It lasted me well over a year in rotation with half a dozen other soaps and creams. You are correct, it is fantastic stuff. The scent is mild, but outstanding. I bought just the puck, which is a great value considering the quality of the lather and how long it lasted. I'm sure the wood bowl is nice, but I have enough shave stuff cluttering the bathroom. I would like to try Windsor next.

I bought the Lavender. Took me a couple days to figure out the water ratio. And then suddenly DR Harris went to the top of the list. Great soap!

DRH Arlington was the first soap I 3017'ed. It lasted 117 shaves - so roughly four months of daily shaves. I still have a puck of Windsor to anticipate using. Great stuff.

Top Bottom