What's new

first pipe

I am interested in making my first pipe purchase, i have smoked a few times with my room mate last year and am interested in making my first purchase could u guys point me to a good pipe without spending a fortune, and some reputable dealers?

I started with a Missouri Meerschaum. Despite their appearance, they smoke very well, and they're cheap. They can be found just about everywhere. I buy mine locally.

I started with a Missouri Meerschaum. Despite their appearance, they smoke very well, and they're cheap. They can be found just about everywhere. I buy mine locally.

Yeah corncobs are cheap, but they do smoke well. Haven't smoked in 12 years. But I did sometimes smoke a pipe. If you want to smoke a pipe, corncob is a good way to start. Unless you're looking at it from a style perspective. Then you might want to look at a briar pipe. Size is another matter. Do you want a large bowl or a small bowl? There a various types available, find one that appeals to your own senses.

I can't recommend a dealer, but I started with a nice briar Comoy about 20 years ago. I don't smoke it that often, but truly enjoy it. I'd recommend going with a curved pipe rather than a straight one. They're easier to hold and balance better when held in the mouth.

One thing I particularly enjoy about pipes is that they're almost as good as a cigar (alas, no delicious wrapper), but cost almost nothing to smoke.

If you want to save a few dollars, look around for a "second." These are pipes that have some defect in the grain or a slight mishap during manufacture. The difference is purely cosmetic - they work just as well as unblemished ones.

Be sure to learn the ritual of packing and lighting a pipe. Also, learn how to clean and care for it properly and it will last for decades.

I would recommend www.smokingpipes.com (who I have dealt with) or www.pipesandcigars.com (who I haven't dealt with).

As for brands, Savinelli and Peterson come to mind with very economical starter lines, but good quality and smoking characteristics. Make sure you look at "Estate Pipes". You can normally save money or get better quality for the same price.

Shape and size is a different story, only you can decide that.

If there is a brick and mortar store nearby, try them. Estate pipes are a good way to go also. This is where I buy all of my pipes from,
www.pipecraft.org

He has many wonderful estates and custom made pipes for sale. I have a bout a dozen pipes from Mark.

This topic is relevant to my interest as well. I've been poring over the selection at cupojoes.com for a pipe in the $20 - $40 range. My cousin is a pipe smoker who favors English Blends, and I salivate over his second hand smoke every time he visits.

I am interested in making my first pipe purchase, i have smoked a few times with my room mate last year and am interested in making my first purchase could u guys point me to a good pipe without spending a fortune, and some reputable dealers?

If you give me an idea about price-point I can make some suggestions.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
+1 for the MM cobs, and especially the Grabows. If you are just starting out, or want it give pipe smoking a shot these are a good way to go. Both of these are filter pipes, where as a lot of the more expensive pipes are not, but there is no problem in just removing the filter, and smoking it that way.

The cool thing about pipe smoking is that a value pipe can smoke just as well as one that costs $100 dollars, and that most of your enjoyment will come from the tobaccos you smoke and having good technique when you fill and smoke the pipe.

thanks for all the replys guys, im looking for briar somewhere in the 50-80 range, im about to look at the links u guys have posted thanks a lot

I started smoking pipes in March and you might benefit from my experience. First of all, if you like smoking pipes, one is not enough because you'll want to let them dry out before lighting up again. After 4 months, I ended up without about 10 pipes. It's a good idea to start with inexpensive pipes, like the MM corncob and "basket pipes", which are inexpensive pipes in a basket on the counter. Second, like straight razors, the cost of the pipe doesn't exactly correlate to how well it smokes. An inexpensive pipe will smoke about as well as an expensive one, especially when you're starting out. Also, you will want to experiment with different sizes and styles of pipe to get a better feel of what you like. For all of these reasons, I wouldn't shoot my whole budget on just one pipe.

Also, don't forget pipecleaners, a pipe tool and wooden kitchen matches. Later, you might decide you need a lighter. There are special lighters for pipes so that you don't burn your fingers.

I started smoking pipes in March and you might benefit from my experience. First of all, if you like smoking pipes, one is not enough because you'll want to let them dry out before lighting up again. After 4 months, I ended up without about 10 pipes. It's a good idea to start with inexpensive pipes, like the MM corncob and "basket pipes", which are inexpensive pipes in a basket on the counter. Second, like straight razors, the cost of the pipe doesn't exactly correlate to how well it smokes. An inexpensive pipe will smoke about as well as an expensive one, especially when you're starting out. Also, you will want to experiment with different sizes and styles of pipe to get a better feel of what you like. For all of these reasons, I wouldn't shoot my whole budget on just one pipe.

Also, don't forget pipecleaners, a pipe tool and wooden kitchen matches. Later, you might decide you need a lighter. There are special lighters for pipes so that you don't burn your fingers.

Good advise here. The only thing I would add is if you want to flush out a rotation with a couple basket pipes make sure you by them from a B&M. You'll want to run a pipe cleaner through to make sure they pass unobstructed to the bottom of the bowl. you also want to make sure that the draft hole is at the bottom of the bowl not somewhere up the side. Many basket pips smoke well and represent good value but I've seen some where the engineering was pitiful.

Top Bottom