What's new

First natural finisher

An ark is a wonderful finisher...where it really shines is taking an already good edge and making it better. I think if you're using it for maintenance you'd want to be proactive, don't let the edge degrade too much. I have taken edges from "meh" back to great on just the ark, but I feel like I get better results by cleaning up the edge on a synth first. However, if you lap both sides flat and dress one with coarser w/d and the other finer, that could work very well I'd think.

I haven't used the Lune or Black Shadow, for those that have, do these stones have more range than a finishing grade ark?
I only have La lune stones. They do have a little more range then Arkansas stones, if you do not factor in surface prepping to change the cutting speed on Arks. I just feel like the slurry creates more problem then the stone can make up for with oil/water etc.
A coticule can do the same, only better in my opinion.
The feedback with slurry is grate, but as you dilute the stone turns a little glassy and dead.

I get the best results if i use it after a 8-12k, or after a coticule. Then i do only a maximum of 15 strokes. The edge seem to degrade if i stay to long. Not a good sign in my opinion.

That is just my experience.

I would like to try the Black Shadow.

An ark is a wonderful finisher...where it really shines is taking an already good edge and making it better. I think if you're using it for maintenance you'd want to be proactive, don't let the edge degrade too much. I have taken edges from "meh" back to great on just the ark, but I feel like I get better results by cleaning up the edge on a synth first. However, if you lap both sides flat and dress one with coarser w/d and the other finer, that could work very well I'd think.

I haven't used the Lune or Black Shadow, for those that have, do these stones have more range than a finishing grade ark?

I don’t find the Black Shadow anything
other than a finisher. Kind of thuri like.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
So, inevitably, here I am. I would like to pick up a natural stone to learn to maintain and perhaps even enhance my edges.

I've narrowed my search down to a couple of different options, and would be keen to hear what other think of my approach.

I've ruled out Jnats, simply because that rabbit hole seems particularly deep and intimidating. I've also been warned that coticules are variable and that introduces an initial element of risk for a newbie to honing. On that basis, I am considering:
  • Black Shadow
  • La Lune
  • Black or Translucent Ark
And leaning towards the Black Shadow. I have been told that all of these are comparable, so I am interested in relative strengths and weaknesses among these options, if any exist. I realise everyone will have preferences, and those are fine, but given I live a long way from anywhere, I don't really want to have to trial and error to much with a stone.

I'm also aware that there is no magic stone, and most will get an experieced honer an edge they want, but for someone starting out, is there characteristics of each that I should weigh up.

Thanks!
I find it hard to go wrong with an a translucent or hard black from Dan's for finishing. I use them as shipped. Like others have said, coticules are very capable stones, once mastered produce a very nice edge.

~doug~

1Stone also offers a Les Lat coticule and Black Black Shadow/La Lune combo stone. I got the La Lune Les Lat combo. Works grate. I use the La Lune side with slurry and finish on the Les Lat side with water or oil. The Les Lat hybrid reminds me of an Arkansas edge. The one i have is at least as hard as my translucent black Arkansas stone.

If i did not have jnat‘s i would think a La Lune is a grate stone, but i do, so it really does not get used that much. It creates a nice knife edge, which is generally not a good sign. I think i have a nice shave, but for some reason i end up with weepers. It does seem to create some random deeper scratches. Maybe it is just my stones. I have two La Lunes. I am not planning to collect them.

It is hard to go wrong with an Arkansas stone. I use mine more as a finisher/post finisher after a 8-12 synth. I guess you can have one rough and one fine side to do a little more work.
Using water and finishing with slurry is the only way I get la lune to give a good edge they doesn't leave dots. Plain water and oil make too aggressive of an edge for me but a little slurry smooths it out.

You guys are lucky in the states for stones. Not much choice here in the UK, I have a c12 and a Welsh stone (naturally 😊), but get my best results from the cotis I have. I do enjoy these threads seeing what you guys use. I need to get out to antique shops more.

Really?! The UK is the best place to find natural finishing stones, go on ebay, there are tons :).

Or if you're in Wales (which I'm guessing you might be) - go and grab one yourself in Snowdonia. Aberfelleni, the Nantlle Valley, and Glan yr Afon near Rhyd Ddu, or further north around Llyns Idwal and Melynllyn. You're basically tripping over first rate natural finishing stones up there!

But yes; also antique stores or salvage yards, there are a lot of Idwals and Charnleys just waiting to be uncovered.

Last edited:
Using water and finishing with slurry is the only way I get la lune to give a good edge they doesn't leave dots. Plain water and oil make too aggressive of an edge for me but a little slurry smooths it out.
I might give mine a new try finishing on light slurry. It does seem like they release random larger particles, that cause problems. This is the way I use it with knifes. I usually end up with a nice edge that cuts tomatoe skin really well. That is really not a good sign for a shaving edge.
I think for the price you pay for them you are better off getting a small jnat.

Really?! The UK is the best place to find natural finishing stones, go on ebay, there are tons :).

Or if you're in Wales (which I'm guessing you might be) - go and grab one yourself in Snowdonia. Aberfelleni, the Nantlle Valley, and Glan yr Afon near Rhyd Ddu, or further north around Llyns Idwal and Melynllyn. You're basically tripping over first rate natural finishing stones up there!

But yes; also antique stores or salvage yards, there are a lot of Idwals and Charnleys just waiting to be uncovered.

No lie, I love my UK stones. If I were there I wouldn't look any where else.

I may also be interested. Do you have a link to the 1Stone site? I can't seem to find it when searchi

I do have a Welsh slate which is fine, the only thing about antique places etc is I am no stone expert, so don't really know what I am picking up ☺️

Top Bottom