What's new

First natural finisher

So, inevitably, here I am. I would like to pick up a natural stone to learn to maintain and perhaps even enhance my edges.

I've narrowed my search down to a couple of different options, and would be keen to hear what other think of my approach.

I've ruled out Jnats, simply because that rabbit hole seems particularly deep and intimidating. I've also been warned that coticules are variable and that introduces an initial element of risk for a newbie to honing. On that basis, I am considering:
  • Black Shadow
  • La Lune
  • Black or Translucent Ark
And leaning towards the Black Shadow. I have been told that all of these are comparable, so I am interested in relative strengths and weaknesses among these options, if any exist. I realise everyone will have preferences, and those are fine, but given I live a long way from anywhere, I don't really want to have to trial and error to much with a stone.

I'm also aware that there is no magic stone, and most will get an experieced honer an edge they want, but for someone starting out, is there characteristics of each that I should weigh up.

Thanks!

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
All of these are finishers do you’ll need a suitable progression of other stones to use them. You could also add a thuringian but they are pricey.

The La Lune edges were fantastically sharp and smooth, but my skin didn’t get along with them, lots of dots. I’d probably go for the Black Shadow or the Ark. The Ark will likely need flattening, finishing, and use before it reaches it’s optimum (according to most people), and it’s slow. The Black Shadow is easier to get up and running and I like the edges off mine.

JNats and cotis are more variable and you’ll likely need to try several to get one that suits you, which makes the rabbit hole deep and relatively expensive. But they can also do a lot more than finish, many, if not most of them don’t need a razor to be finished above the mid-grit range. The best of them can finish off most 1k stones.

Thanks @Steve56 - the plan is, at this stage anyway, just learn and use a finisher on the razors I have that have been honed by others, so I'm really seeing this stone as a maintenance tool.

I'm still telling myself that I'm not going to start accumulating straights, and stones, to go through the full progression... :p

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I will be interested in what you decide upon and how you find it. Like you, I do not have the opportunity or budget to try out lots of different finishing naturals.

My first and only natural is a huge 200mm x 75mm x 30mm Adaee Cnat that I purchased from China for about AU$40 including shipping. It had mixed reviews on AliExpress but very little from SR shavers. I think I was lucky and got a good one. Very hard, clear and slow cutter that gives me a great edge on most of the SRs that I have finished on it.

I wouldn't recommend it to someone as their first natural finisher. It took me many hours (weeks) to be able to get a decent edge from it. Once I mastered the Adaee Cnat, I really enjoy using it.

I would like to try another natural one day.

So, inevitably, here I am. I would like to pick up a natural stone to learn to maintain and perhaps even enhance my edges.

I've narrowed my search down to a couple of different options, and would be keen to hear what other think of my approach.

I've ruled out Jnats, simply because that rabbit hole seems particularly deep and intimidating. I've also been warned that coticules are variable and that introduces an initial element of risk for a newbie to honing. On that basis, I am considering:
  • Black Shadow
  • La Lune
And leaning towards the Black Shadow. I have been told that all of these are comparable, so I am interested in relative strengths and weaknesses among these options, if any exist. I realise everyone will have preferences, and those are fine, but given I live a long way from anywhere, I don't really want to have to trial and error to much with a stone.

I'm also aware that there is no magic stone, and most will get an experieced honer an edge they want, but for someone starting out, is there characteristics of each that I should weigh up.

Thanks!
La lunes are stored fast and really easy to use. It's usually what I use as a quick touch up on an edge that's not cutting right. I've never use a shadow but la lunes and hard Arks will take you to about the same place.

All of these are finishers do you’ll need a suitable progression of other stones to use them. You could also add a thuringian but they are pricey.

The La Lune edges were fantastically sharp and smooth, but my skin didn’t get along with them, lots of dots. I’d probably go for the Black Shadow or the Ark. The Ark will likely need flattening, finishing, and use before it reaches it’s optimum (according to most people), and it’s slow. The Black Shadow is easier to get up and running and I like the edges off mine.

JNats and cotis are more variable and you’ll likely need to try several to get one that suits you, which makes the rabbit hole deep and relatively expensive. But they can also do a lot more than finish, many, if not most of them don’t need a razor to be finished above the mid-grit range. The best of them can finish off most 1k stones.
I started getting much smoother edges on my la lune by finishing with a little slurry on water. It takes a lot of the bite out but sharpness remains.

It would be helpful to know what your progression would be leading up to a desired natural finisher.

I don't know. I have had razors made "shave ready" by three different people. The edges seem decent enough, so I can only assume the bevel is set correctly. Inspecting them under a loupe and they look OK to my novice eye.

• Black Shadow
  • La Lune

Thanks!

It’s no secret that I’m found of nice price of Novaculite. In my opinion it doesn’t get much better than an Arkansas edge. They are very consistent and low risk stones with along history in razor sharpening. They seem to work well with every razor I throw at them. Best of all they are easily available and still in modern production. Shipping to this part of the world increases the cost of an Ark substantially. Personally I think they still are well worth it. One stone will last many generations and unlike Jnats and Coticules there isn’t much point collecting various examples. The ones I’ve had are all very close in performance.

I have no experience with the other stones but I’m tempted to try them. For €200 1Stone does free world wide shipping. If someone wants To do an Antipodean group buy, I’d be on board for a 150x60 Lune and Black Shadow. The stones have been thoroughly tested by multiple members here and look to be good value for money. By all accounts they are easy enough to use.

I'd definitely be up for this.
1Stone also offers a Les Lat coticule and Black Black Shadow/La Lune combo stone. I got the La Lune Les Lat combo. Works grate. I use the La Lune side with slurry and finish on the Les Lat side with water or oil. The Les Lat hybrid reminds me of an Arkansas edge. The one i have is at least as hard as my translucent black Arkansas stone.

If i did not have jnat‘s i would think a La Lune is a grate stone, but i do, so it really does not get used that much. It creates a nice knife edge, which is generally not a good sign. I think i have a nice shave, but for some reason i end up with weepers. It does seem to create some random deeper scratches. Maybe it is just my stones. I have two La Lunes. I am not planning to collect them.

It is hard to go wrong with an Arkansas stone. I use mine more as a finisher/post finisher after a 8-12 synth. I guess you can have one rough and one fine side to do a little more work.

You guys are lucky in the states for stones. Not much choice here in the UK, I have a c12 and a Welsh stone (naturally 😊), but get my best results from the cotis I have. I do enjoy these threads seeing what you guys use. I need to get out to antique shops more.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
.... For €200 1Stone does free world wide shipping. If someone wants To do an Antipodean group buy, I’d be on board for a 150x60 Lune and Black Shadow. ....
I may also be interested. Do you have a link to the 1Stone site? I can't seem to find it when searching.

An ark is a wonderful finisher...where it really shines is taking an already good edge and making it better. I think if you're using it for maintenance you'd want to be proactive, don't let the edge degrade too much. I have taken edges from "meh" back to great on just the ark, but I feel like I get better results by cleaning up the edge on a synth first. However, if you lap both sides flat and dress one with coarser w/d and the other finer, that could work very well I'd think.

I haven't used the Lune or Black Shadow, for those that have, do these stones have more range than a finishing grade ark?

Top Bottom