What's new

First injector shave.

Picked up two schick injectors, one Gtype, and one Itype, and I tried out the G tonight... and it was not as enjoyable as I expected it to be. I have heard such good reviews of the injectors, so I think I had high expectations, but it didn't seem to get as close as I thought it would, I think I have been spoiled by the ease and efficiency of my R41 which I have been using the last 2 weeks and Slant hammer.

The injector is a speedy little devil though, and quite maneuverable. The jury is definitely still out, and I will definitely give it more shaves, along with the I type. Hopefully with some different blade angles and the like, I will come to like the injectors as much as many people on B&B do. I just hope the R41's efficiency hasn't ruined all other razors for me:001_unsur I don't believe it has, but it is definitely what I gauge all my other razors by.

So is there something I am missing here? any tips or tricks to the injectors? Anyone else have a similar experience?

Attachments

• $12-7-2011.jpg
    $12-7-2011.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 175
That's a nice SE lot there. I don't find my I1 type to be nearly as efficient as my MMOC, but boy is it smooth. It takes me 1-2 more passes with the injector to get the same result as my MMOC. The HFT (heavy flat top) pictured fits between the injector & MMOC for me. I'm honestly not sure if the reason I dot shave more with my injector is because it's not as efficient as my other SEs or because I don't have as many blades for it.

That's a nice SE lot there. I don't find my I1 type to be nearly as efficient as my MMOC, but boy is it smooth. It takes me 1-2 more passes with the injector to get the same result as my MMOC. The HFT (heavy flat top) pictured fits between the injector & MMOC for me. I'm honestly not sure if the reason I dot shave more with my injector is because it's not as efficient as my other SEs or because I don't have as many blades for it.

I agree it does move along really smoothly, which is a benefit, and after a while (4 passes) I did get a pretty darn fine shave. I should shave with my SE's more often, I have 2 micomatics, a push button, the g bar, and a 1912. the push button and g bar are the only ones I haven't tried. I need to pick up a MMOC, one SE that sounds pretty great, and I have always been a fan of open combs as a whole. Thanks for the input!

I found the thickness of injector blades impedes the razor's effectiveness.

Too thin, or too thick? When I first got an SE I loved the thick blade, sliced through anything!!

I found the thickness of injector blades impedes the razor's effectiveness.

My results are completely contrary. A thin DE blade, even a feather, can't come close to the efficiency of an SE blade for my stubble. It wasn't until I switched to using SEs that I was able to achieve an irritation-free shave that was also close. IME those thin DE ribbons just get pushed out of the way by my stubble. The remaining follicule can then be heard laughing at the feeble attempt. The MMOC practically scares the hair off my face. I hope to try an R41 someday to see if a flatter presentation of the blade will have a stiffening effect which could account for how efficient the R41 is.

My results are completely contrary. A thin DE blade, even a feather, can't come close to the efficiency of an SE blade for my stubble. It wasn't until I switched to using SEs that I was able to achieve an irritation-free shave that was also close. IME those thin DE ribbons just get pushed out of the way by my stubble. The remaining follicule can then be heard laughing at the feeble attempt. The MMOC practically scares the hair off my face. I hope to try an R41 someday to see if a flatter presentation of the blade will have a stiffening effect which could account for how efficient the R41 is.

I had similar results, so I started a thread asking how to get a similar shave to an SE with a DE, which is how I found out that I should try OC DE's. So I bought an Old type, and I was hooked! then I got a NEW which was also quite enjoyable which led me to the Merkur 39c Slant Hammer, and my R41. The slant was the first one I tried, and it was very nice, super smooth (not what I expected) I think the curve to the blade stiffens it a bit, and the angle really lets it slice through hairs. The R41 is a whole different beast! I think the combination of the large amount of blade exposure, and the fact that it is a flatter presentation as you stated makes it be able to hack through just about anything with little trouble!

It is definitely worth a shot! as is the slant. They are both very good, and very different razors which I like.

I get the same great, comfortable shave with my Schick Injector E as I do with any of My DE's. Loaded with a Chinese Schick blade I can easily get 7 shaves and I am a guy that tosses Feathers after 2 shaves because they dull so quickly.

Injectors are sweet shavers for me, too. I have used either the Chinese Schicks, or the Ted Pella injectors. Both give an excellent shave. Yes, it is a little different, but close and comfortable all the time. The only injector I have tried that I have an issue with is the Pal stainless/plastic handled adjustable- I just do not like the thing.

I have a nice late 50's Schick Injector with a new package of Chinese Schick blades on the way! Gold with a white handle and in a case... :) This RAD needs to stop...Running out of places to put the razors!

I have a "G" Injector and get very close shaves, the Angle of the Blade is small, hold the Head flat against your Face then tilt ~10 degrees, just about the angle when using a Cart or Disposable. Be sure to use very light pressure if not you'll definitely pay, I use just enough pressure to maintain skin contact and get terrific shaves.

I get the same great, comfortable shave with my Schick Injector E as I do with any of My DE's. Loaded with a Chinese Schick blade I can easily get 7 shaves and I am a guy that tosses Feathers after 2 shaves because they dull so quickly.

Using the Chinese Schick in my "G", I got 12 comfortable shaves pushing the Blade to 15 but the last two were uncomfortable and irritated my neck, #13 was O.K. but not good enough to use for a 13th shave in the future.

I just took my 11th shave on one in my "J" and it was quite comfortable, I also have one Head Shave included in those 11 so I'll be curious how comfortable #12 will be. I'm also wondering if the Razor type would have an affect on the number of shaves you could comfortably get from the Blade.

I also picked up some Personna Mini-Shapers, I thought they had a Key Tab looking at the tiny Photo, but it was a Blade protruding. They are the same size as the Schick Injector Blades and are easily loaded into the Schick cartridge using patience and a small screwdriver, I haven't tried one yet but they're ready to go for January.

i learned to shave with an Injector and keep going back to them. I just finished a 13th shave with a Chinese Schick blade in my j-3 "Golden 500" and got a very great shave.

What blade did you use?
They are Schick brand injector blades that I got from the local grocery. They were in a yellow package, they say on the box or on the dispenser part of the schick energizer group of USA.

I have a "G" Injector and get very close shaves, the Angle of the Blade is small, hold the Head flat against your Face then tilt ~10 degrees, just about the angle when using a Cart or Disposable. Be sure to use very light pressure if not you'll definitely pay, I use just enough pressure to maintain skin contact and get terrific shaves.

Using the Chinese Schick in my "G", I got 12 comfortable shaves pushing the Blade to 15 but the last two were uncomfortable and irritated my neck, #13 was O.K. but not good enough to use for a 13th shave in the future.

I just took my 11th shave on one in my "J" and it was quite comfortable, I also have one Head Shave included in those 11 so I'll be curious how comfortable #12 will be. I'm also wondering if the Razor type would have an affect on the number of shaves you could comfortably get from the Blade.

I also picked up some Personna Mini-Shapers, I thought they had a Key Tab looking at the tiny Photo, but it was a Blade protruding. They are the same size as the Schick Injector Blades and are easily loaded into the Schick cartridge using patience and a small screwdriver, I haven't tried one yet but they're ready to go for January.
Thanks for the blade angle tip! That's one thing I was unsure of, didn't know if it was like any other SE, or more like a DE, or neither.

I learned quickly, that injectors are an acquired taste ; )

This is probably the biggest thing I know I know YMMV. I will definitely be using it again soon though.

Top Bottom