What's new

First fili

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This has turned into one of those threads I need to stay away from for a while, or at least until my drooling is under better control.

Since I'm finding that staying away is impossible, and since I don't have one and can't display any photos, I'll throw in perhaps useful posts I run across on dating, buying, and such.

Here's one, link. From another thread. It's a translation from Spanish. I'm quoting it below.

Guide to dating Knives FILARMONICA

Hello everyone,
I do not know if it happens to be the same thing, but every time I find a Philharmonic knife for sale or auction I get the same doubt: the date of manufacture.
I had not found anything related to the subject until I found a post in a British forum, which gathers all the information we need to date one of these prized Spanish knives.
This is the translated text:

First generation: 1915-1967.

The versions prior to 1959 do not have "Spanish Fabrication / Made in Spain" on the back of the spike.

We can find three varieties of the "Special" model:
- The spike shows "José Montserrat Pou" curved with the eagle, and the number 14 in vertical.
- The spigot shows "Imperial". "Jose Montserrat Pou" straight and horizontal # 14 with the lyre.
- The spike shows "José Montserrat Pou" curved with "Philharmonic" straight, and the number 14 in vertical.
They also have the gold musical label "Special / Philharmonic" on the sheet.

The original Double Temple.
Spike similar to Special, with "José Montserrat Pou" curved with "Philharmonic" straight, and the # 14 in vertical. It has a different gold seal on the sheet, showing the initials "JMP" in the middle. Later the initials will be replaced by the lyre.

The limited edition "Bullfighting Medallion":
They are DT 13s with 6 themes related to bullfighting:
Banderillas, Capote, Lunge, Catch, Crutch and Rejoneo

The "Sub Zero" is a DT with a special treatment of the blade.

Second generation: 1967-1979
New handles, gold seals and different marks on the spikes characterize this era.
The primings on the spike follow the following uniform style: horizontally with the lyre and (from top to bottom straight horizontal) "Jose Montserrat Pou", model and "Philharmonic".

The Special For Hard Beards replaces the Special, with laser primer and a rubber on the spike.
DT continues to be the flagship of the brand.
4 new models appear:
- TRIDUR EPBD: trivalent chromium to prevent corrosion. Harder to sharpen. The model on the sheet as in the EPBD.
- Novodur: third pin (stabilizer) in the grips.
- Special for haircut
- INOX: Stainless steel DT.

Third generation: José Montserrat Pou passed away in the late 70-early 80's. His son took over the company, apparently continued to sell the old stock.
In 1985 razor barbers were banned in Spanish barbers, which decreased demand and along with the disappearance of the founder directly affected production.
The key to identifying this era is the disappearance of the name "Jose Montserrat Pou" of the spike. These are the "Gold Seal".

Fourth generation: JMP's son dies shortly after his father and his daughter takes over. The company closed soon after in 1990.
Steel comes from Pakistan, of inferior quality.
No marks on the spike; only "FILARMONICA -DOBLE TEMPLE" in the sheet.
Some in the box "Gold Seal", others simply in plastic cases.

Knives of the first generation are considered the highest quality produced by the brand. In practice when comparing the first and second generation, there do not seem to be large differences. There is no reason to think that the first knives of the third generation are inferior to the previous ones, but any knife that does not bear the name "Jose Montserrat Pou" is 'suspect'.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Pleased you enjoy using your Fili they are a fantastic razor and yes very addictive, here is my one that I love using.......

View attachment 973937View attachment 974036

same blade bro
IMG_0068.jpg

Since I'm finding that staying away is impossible, and since I don't have one and can't display any photos, I'll throw in perhaps useful posts I run across on dating, buying, and such.

Here's one, link. From another thread. It's a translation from Spanish. I'm quoting it below.

Happy shaves,

Jim
well done, Jim.

Jim[/QUOTE]
Pleased you enjoy using your Fili they are a fantastic razor and yes very addictive, here is my one that I love using.......

View attachment 973937View attachment 974036

Hey ice-man, what year or period is your razor? Looks exactly like my model.

I've gone through the standard identification process, but no luck.

First generation: 1915-1967 .

The versions prior to 1959 do not have "Made in Spain / Made in Spain" on the back of the spike.

Ok, so I know my razor is 1959 or later, as it has Made in Spain on the back

We can find three varieties of the "Special" model:
- The spike shows "José Montserrat Pou" curved with the eagle, and the n ° 14 in vertical.
- The spike shows "Imperial". "Jose Montserrat Pou" straight and nº14 horizontal with the lyre.
- The spike shows "José Montserrat Pou" curved with "Philharmonic" straight, and the n ° 14 in vertical.
They also have the golden musical seal "Special / Philharmonic" on the sheet.
It does not say Special, so I can skip to Double Temple below:

The original Double Temple.
Spike similar to the Special, with "José Montserrat Pou" curved with "Philharmonic" straight, and the n ° 14 in vertical. It has a distinct golden stamp on the sheet, showing the initials "JMP" in the center. Later the initials will be replaced by the lira.
But nope, it is not the one described above, as the Jose name is not curved, it is straight.

The limited edition "Medallón Taurino":
They are DT 13s with 6 subjects related to bullfighting:
Banderillas, Capote, Thrust, Catch, Crutch and Rejoneo

The "Sub Zero" is a DT with a special treatment of the leaf.
Nope, none of the above. So onward to see if it is a second generation

Second generation: 1967-1979
New scales, golden seals and different brands in the spikes characterize this era.
The primers in the spike follow the following uniform style: nº in horizontal with the lyre and (from top to bottom in horizontal straight) "Jose Montserrat Pou", model and "Philharmonic".
Nope, not the one above, as Jose is not at the top. The word Philarmonic is at the top

The Special For Hard Beards replaces the Special, with laser primer and a rubber on the spike.
The DT continues to be the flagship of the brand.
4 new models appear:
- TRIDUR EPBD: trivalent chromium to avoid corrosion. More difficult to sharpen. The model on the sheet as in the EPBD.
- Novodur: third pin (stabilizer) in the grips.
- Special for hair cutting
- INOX: DT stainless steel.
It is none of the above.

And it is not third or fourth generation. The razor does have Pou's name on it, so it has to be first or second generation.

Third generation : José Montserrat Pou died in the late 70's-early 80's. His son took over the company, apparently continued selling the old stock.
In 1985 barberas razors were banned in Spanish barbershops, which decreased the demand and with the disappearance of the founder directly affected production.
The key to identifying this era is the disappearance of the name "Jose Montserrat Pou" from the spike. These are the "Gold Seal".

Fourth generation : the son of JMP dies shortly after his father and his daughter takes over. The company closed shortly after in 1990.
The steel comes from Pakistan, of inferior quality.
No marks on the spike; only "FILARMONICA -DOBLE TEMPLE" on the sheet
Some in the "Gold Seal" box, others simply in plastic cases

Top Bottom