What's new

First Featherweight Shave - I'm Underwhelmed, Probably Need Practice

I had my first experience with SE shaving just now. Gem Featherweight with new Gem blade.

I have been strictly DE for past 5 weeks since abandoning the carts. Must say that I was underwhelmed. Probably my technique. Based on posts I read here, I think I was expecting my beard to magically jump off my face onto razor just by waving it close to me face!

I did one so-so pass with the Featherweight and had to fall back on my trusty 1953 gold Tech to finish the deed.

I can see the benefits of SE blade stiffness and how head shape helps set and hold correct angle. I am looking forward to perfecting this tool, just disappointed in my initial foray into SE shaving.

Poor operating skills, no doubt. Just an excuse for more shaving/practice, so not all bad!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
What was the issue? Not close enough for a first pass?

The right blade angle is vital as you already know. The rest works fairly well. I use a featherweight on the occasion and it's a great little razor. It's not very aggressive. It's comparable to a Tech, maybe a notch above.

I have not had much luck with the lighter SE razors, the weight really seems to make a big difference. I enjoy shaving with my Contour II, but the end result is not anywhere close to as good as what I get from the 1912 or even a Tech.

Thanks for the input, guys. I have a 1912 Damaskeene coming from eBay. I have not given up on SE shaving by a long shot. I look forward to using the 1912 and continuing to fine tune my SE technique.

Top Bottom