What's new

First experience with a Slant Razor - YIKES!

Hey everyone! So I took the plunge and got the Parker 55SL Slant razor and gave it a go! My first slant razor!

I've been reading about 'em and watching the videos and have heard nothing but awesome things about them, so I did it. I bought one and did a shave with it!

I didn't shave during the weekend, so I had about 2 days worth of growth.

I did my usual pre-shave routine. Hot shower with CeraVe bar soap on my face. Get out and used the PAA Cube 2.0 with some PAA CK6 soap. Made sure to use lots of water to get that lather nice and cool whippie. I used a Personna med prep blade and went at it.

Slant is no joke! I could feel that blade slicing away at the stubble! My left cheek and neck felt good. A little tugging, but it took away everything. I felt I had the angle wrong on the right side of my face and got a couple of weepers. Then it sliced off whatever I had on my face, so my right side was a bloody mess.

I only could survive the one pass and switched to my SkinGuard after I could contain and stop the weepers. I didn't want to try anything more.

Any beginner suggestions? Is there something I should be looking out for? I feel I need to watch the angles more.

Thank you!

Less pressure might help. With each different slant, or any razor for that matter, I try and find that natural angle where the razor/blade combo cuts cleanly with the least pressure and doesn't tug or pull. Some will require steep angles while others shallow. Sorry no specific input on a Parker 55, as I've not tried it. Good luck with your next slant shave!

Hey everyone! So I took the plunge and got the Parker 55SL Slant razor and gave it a go! My first slant razor!

I've been reading about 'em and watching the videos and have heard nothing but awesome things about them, so I did it. I bought one and did a shave with it!

I didn't shave during the weekend, so I had about 2 days worth of growth.

I did my usual pre-shave routine. Hot shower with CeraVe bar soap on my face. Get out and used the PAA Cube 2.0 with some PAA CK6 soap. Made sure to use lots of water to get that lather nice and cool whippie. I used a Personna med prep blade and went at it.

Slant is no joke! I could feel that blade slicing away at the stubble! My left cheek and neck felt good. A little tugging, but it took away everything. I felt I had the angle wrong on the right side of my face and got a couple of weepers. Then it sliced off whatever I had on my face, so my right side was a bloody mess.

I only could survive the one pass and switched to my SkinGuard after I could contain and stop the weepers. I didn't want to try anything more.

Any beginner suggestions? Is there something I should be looking out for? I feel I need to watch the angles more.

Thank you!
Pressure, or lack of pressure. Slant razor makes the blade more rigid, so it might be more difficult to read the feedback.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Parker razors are well made and just use the weight of the razor, razor should not make indent in skin if it does you have to much pressure more than likely is the best way to start off.
I usually only use a 2 pass shave with some touch ups with any slant razor because they are very efficient. Parker 55SL Slant razor is a mild comfortable slant so your comments are indicating technique needs improving IMO.
Make sure you have mapped your beard grain directions so you have comfortable shaves in the future if you have not mapped it out yet, mapping the beard will only help with any razor system out there.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I don't have any experience with that particular razor but used a RR Wunderbar as my daily razor for about 3yrs. There was a learning curve that mostly due to pressure and just slightly with angle, but once I got it right the shaves were great.... as long as I did my part. I stopped using it as my daily razor when I had kids and no longer had time to pay attention to what I was doing. T Slants are great razors but it will make you bleed if you don't pay attention to what you're doing.

I have to say that when I started with my Merkur slant I had a terrible experience. I would cut myself all the time. Now it is one of my best 2 razors and I use it most often. My experience is that it is easy to find the angle, but the point is to put no pressure and go slowly. Just leave it on the skin and move it slowly with just its weight. This is what I do and I have to say I have more enjoyable shaves in comparison to non slant razors. Best of luck!

I'd like to echo what most above were saying about pressure but also give a particular 'ditto' to @Asland408's remark about blade choice.

Loading up a more forgiving blade is a strategy I employ near universally when using a new razor. That goes double for something like a slant, most variations of which will punish less-than-perfect technique IME.

Of course, paying for a mistake, a bit of sloppiness or even just unfamilarity can happen with any razor. However, aggressive razors are just that bit more likely to teach harsh lessons and you should seek to give yourself every available advantage when using them.

Best of luck, slants are fantastic! :thumbup:

About a year ago I bought a used Merkur 39C for a song off the bay. It is minty and even came with a fresh tuck of Feathers. I was worried about using those blades in the slant for my first shave with it. Instead I opted for a Mekur blade which I find to be mild on my beard. I went slow, learning to allow the weight of the razor to do the work to the best of my ability. I cut myself. I actually sliced off part of an old scar above my lip. I was so nervous about the aggression of the razor that my technique was terrible. Some sort of subconscious thing I guess? My next shave with the slant went like this; I relaxed. I shaved the way I would with any other razor. One pass, wtg and the shave was superb. Better yet, there was no blood. Today, I can honestly say that I love my slant. I have course hair, and if I go more than two days without shaving, the slant is the only razor that I reach for.
So, relax and embrace the excellent shave! One word of caution: my slant has been a gateway drug to me longing for my first straight razor! Of course YMMV

I would also recommend a mild blade as you are learning. Med-prep are some of the sharpest out there in my experience and opinion and I would never put a med-prep in a new razor I had never used.
You're right! I just went for it since Personna's are what I use in my EJ.

What is a good mild blade to switch to? I know I'm bound to have one from a sampler pack hidden away! And thanks!

What is a good mild blade to switch to? I know I'm bound to have one from a sampler pack hidden away! And thanks!
I like Merkur Super platinum blades for a mild shave. They’re spendy but smooth. They are the blades that I exclusively shaved with for my first year of DE shaving. I also find Derby to me on the mild side (for me). Once I got used to paying attention to the shave with my slant, it became efficient and now I use GSBs with it to great results. That’s just my two cents. Stick with it and you just may find that the slant is the most efficient razor that you own.

I am glad I could be of help. I would recommend Green and white Astra blades for a mild or middle of the road blade. It is the blade I started DE shaving with and is mild to me. YMMV.

Slant is new tool to learn how to use, and time is your best friend, go slow to learn to use.

Bet is I gave you New Chain Saw, and Nice Redwood log 6’ x 4’ x 4’. I bet if this you first shot at carving Big Redwood Eagle. Your first try would be mostly chip, and not salable Art.

Same thing takes time to be Chain Saw Artist.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
The Parker is very mild and forgiving razor in my experience -- that's why it was my son's first slant.

But that critical phrase "...in my experience..." doesn't mean that's your experience. Sorry to hear you got a rough ride.

I remember getting a bit tense before using my first slant. I had to talk myself down from that, so I could simply relax and see how it went. Maybe there's some good advice in there: Don't pre-think it. Some razors are a big step up from what we've been using, for different reasons. It's a good opportunity to put in a less aggressive blade and focus on the "no pressure" mantra.

Trying to remember that particular razor's quirks. I know I featured it in The Tilted Picnic Slant Circus a couple years ago, so you might search for those posts and see what you find. One little quirk on some slants, and I can't remember if the Parker is one of them, is that you may need to confirm the blade edge is lined up with the bar/comb instead of the cap.

Some shavers, of whom I am one, can be sensitive to how handle length changes the razor's feel. I found the Parker handle a bit long. Possibly switching to a different handle according to your taste would bring it a little closer to your personal sweet spot.

O.H.

I recently used that Parker Slant. It worked exceptionally well for me!

Key technique notes for me:
I used 5 drops of Shave Secret shave oil - no soap or cream. Feather Hi-Stainless blade.

Minimize applied pressure. Let the weight of the razor sit on your skin by lightening your grip or just using your finger tips on the handle and just think to guide the razor where you want it to go. I did wind up varying pressure after I got more comfortable with the razor's efficacy.

Keep the razor head blade edge nearly perpendicular to face. So with the razor on your cheek, this would have the handle perpendicular to your face, like a "T". I varied this angle as I went and found fully perpendicular to be the most efficient for me. You'll likely feel the smooth metal bar guard when doing this.

It worked fantastic for a ~$30 on Amazon Prime razor! I did return it since I found other slants that gave me an equivalent shave with more feedback (Fatip Lo Storto Original Open Comb and Razorock Superslant L3).

Nonetheless, if I was some how stuck with the Parker I wouldn't be sad.

Top Bottom