What's new

First ever shave with Tabac - review and take on scent

blades that never get dull, always smooth and sharp, no more irritation, no more weepers, but soaps with ultimate slickness and a heavenly scent...I think I could image shaving in Heaven!!

I’d prefer to think that we’d all be like Tim Allen in Santa Clause where we all could grow really awesome full God the Father beards overnight and thus need to shave at least once a day minimum.

Great review! Even though I use Tabac sparingly these days — because other soaps have overtaken it in performance — it is an iconic, must-have (if such a category exists) soap. Heck, if the Beatles used it ... so must we all.
Because it is spoken so highly around in these parts, I purchased Tabac for the first time last month. I'm very impressed! I find it's scent sort of a soapy, leathery smell. I love using Clubman afterwards - to me the combination smells like an old barber shop.

@Hannah's Dad - just wondering how we know the Beatles used it? If true, I have even more reason to use it often!

All of these different descriptions of Tabac's scent are confusing. :confused1 I get that we all have unique noses and all, but I feel like we should be able to reach something of a consensus as to what it smells like, even if not everyone is fond of it. To throw my hat into the ring I basically get something powdery, like baby powder, with a bit of soap scent in the mix. The powder is far too strong for me to ignore, so I don't see how others can miss it, nor can I understand where other people get leather, floral, or really anything but that powder and a bit of soap.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Because it is spoken so highly around in these parts, I purchased Tabac for the first time last month. I'm very impressed! I find it's scent sort of a soapy, leathery smell. I love using Clubman afterwards - to me the combination smells like an old barber shop.

@Hannah's Dad - just wondering how we know the Beatles used it? If true, I have even more reason to use it often!

Attachments

• 4F9F7DF9-898C-434B-9FDA-675C0DC63666.jpeg
    4F9F7DF9-898C-434B-9FDA-675C0DC63666.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 60
Love the photo! I haven't seen that one before. Now if we can identify which razor models they are using...

I agree with your assessment, especially when you mention that it smells like "soap". It actually reminds me of the "french-milled" soaps that a hotel provides, but with a sharper, more intense smell. I agree that it is inoffensive, and when paired with the Tabac splash, smells wonferful

All of these different descriptions of Tabac's scent are confusing. :confused1 I get that we all have unique noses and all, but I feel like we should be able to reach something of a consensus as to what it smells like, even if not everyone is fond of it. To throw my hat into the ring I basically get something powdery, like baby powder, with a bit of soap scent in the mix. The powder is far too strong for me to ignore, so I don't see how others can miss it, nor can I understand where other people get leather, floral, or really anything but that powder and a bit of soap.

I found this on Wikipedia:

"Tabac is a brand of fragrance that was created by Mäurer & Wirtz in 1959. It is said to have a floral fragrance and contains a blend of bergamot, neroli, lavender and is accented with tobacco, oakmoss and vanilla. The scent is used in various Tabac branded products, including eau de toilette, eau de cologne, shaving soap, aftershave, and deodorant."

I had to look up bergamot and neroli and discovered they are both citrus. Lavender provides the floral. Add the other fragrances and I can see why it is difficult to pin down what exactly Tabac smells like.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I thought Wikipedia used to say this:

"Tabac is a brand of fragrance that was created by Mäurer & Wirtz in 1959. It is said to have a slightly floral fragrance and contains a blend of dried-up lipstick, hair spray, and blue hair dye, and is accented with antique purses. The scent is used in various Tabac branded products, including eau de toilette, eau de cologne, shaving soap, aftershave, and deodorant and is rumored to have been the inspiration for Soylent Green."

Just kidding. I love Tabac.

I must respectfully disagree on this. I do not care for the S entry at all and find the performance to be simply average.

Well, I guess it must just be my nose that is defective. I know my sense of smell isn't very strong, but I always assumed that I simply get a weaker version of the same thing everybody else does. . . And, for the record, I am familiar with what bergamot, lavender, and vanilla smell like on their own-I'm actually drinking an Earl Grey blend right now.

I find this soap very functional and one of the quickest to lather out there. When I need fast, I either use Tabac or Haslinger and I will be shaving in less that a minute after the lathering process begins. I will probably always have this soap in my den. When I don't know what to use I use Tabac its "old reliable" IMO.

Top Bottom