What's new

First DMT

I just got my first DMT. It's an XF for bevel setting. I'm sure this is right, but it wasn't quite what I was expecting. It's basically a flat piece of metal that appears just slightly rough on one side. How do they make these, just spray a diamond - adhesive mixture onto a flat piece of metal?

Any particular care and feeding advice for these things other than keep them dry? Any problem if another DMT or a hone is stacked on top of it in a drawer?

Thanks.

To dry your dmt just wipe it off thoroughly and make sure there's no wet spots, let it sit out for a while before putting it in a drawerer or something.
Id recommend breaking in your dmt , you can use a screwdriver on the surrface to make it less harsh to the razor .

I just got my first DMT. It's an XF for bevel setting. I'm sure this is right, but it wasn't quite what I was expecting. It's basically a flat piece of metal that appears just slightly rough on one side. How do they make these, just spray a diamond - adhesive mixture onto a flat piece of metal?

Any particular care and feeding advice for these things other than keep them dry? Any problem if another DMT or a hone is stacked on top of it in a drawer?

Thanks.

I believe they electroplate steel with a solution of Nickel and diamonds.

From DMT website
Break-in period: Initially your diamond stone will seem especially rough. It will smooth over time with gentle stroking without impacting performance. You need not exert extra pressure - let the diamonds do the work!
Use only light pressure when sharpening. As a rule, 5-10 minutes on a conventional oilstone is equal to about 20 seconds on DMT® Diamond Sharpeners.
Use only water as a lubricant. A lubricant is only necessary to speed the process of clearing swarf (material removed during sharpening) into the recessed dots.
After use, rinse and dry your diamond sharpener. Store dry. When further cleaning is needed, use an abrasive cleaner (non-petroleum base) and a scrub brush. Always store your diamond sharpener clean and dry or the metal fines removed during sharpening will rust if left on the surface.

If you use it for lapping a waterstone, do it under running water to stop slurry from building up, otherwise it will strip the diamonds from the surface. Hard to believe that a humble Norton 4K/8K can kill a diamond plate in just a few minutes, but it can.

Top Bottom