What's new

First boar brush recommendation?

Hey all!

I've become interested in trying a boar brush. I've primarily used synthetics the last year or two for reference. I strictly face lather and like very soft brushes (which I know can be a problem with boars before they break in, but I'm willing to be patient).

So I am considering the semogue OC taj (white resin handle), the semogue 620, or the semogue 830. If any of you have experience with any of these three brushes please let me know your opinions. And if you have not used any of those 3 brushes, I would like to hear your recommendations as well for a boar brush that will become soft after break-in. Thank you!!!

The SOC could work. The 830 is great...until it grows very floppy! The 620 is much too stiff for you.

I usually suggest the 610. However, the 820 is similar, has more loft, hence softer. Both are contenders for your needs.

Remember, these will need some use before they soften and lather well.

Omega makes a Premium Boar, jade handle, sold by Connaught Shaving. Maybe a bit stiff, but lovely brush. About $30 to USA.

Mac

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Very soft isn't my schick, and isn't the usual boar profile. I've bought many boars, the only one still remaining is a Semogue 1305 ..

The Semogue SOC is really nice. I like the looks of the big Zenith boar with the olive handle which is about the same price, but I don't have one yet.

You can't go wrong with almost any Semogue or Omega. If you like a nice stiff brush, a good old Van Der Hagen brush works as well, and cheap enough not to feel like you lost out if you don't use it or lose it.

I love my Semogue 1250 and 1305, so much so my dad also has the same brushes which he also loves. They’re both really cheap too.

For face lathering I really like the 620 or 830. I can’t speak to the longevity of the 830, mine is still doing just fine.

Good suggestions above. Also try a LARGE, dirt cheap boar. It may change your frame of reference.

The Omega 100049 Professional Boar is $11 and one of my favorite brushes at ANY price. After break in and the hairs started splitting... I was wondering why I need any other brush.

I am also a face latherer. The Omega holds enough lather for say like a 10 pass shave. I load liberally and have enough lather to get awesome cushioning and slickness for my 3 pass + touch up every time even with hard to lather soaps. The lather just explodes on my face.

Not sure what your financial situation is but you can buy several awesome boars for under $50.... total.

I've just branched out to boars and synthetics after only using badger brushes. I have three boars, the SOC, 830 and 620, all Semogues. For face lathering only, I might choose the 620 but you couldn't go wrong with any of them. I bought all three because all three together were less expensive than the cheapest Simpsons badger.

SOC. I had the 1305 which is the same knot as the 830 and I found it splayed too much for face lathering as it broke in. The 1250 was better but the SOC works great.

At the price of a SOC I would buy both the Semogue 1800 and the Omega 49, my two favorite brushes of the two main brands. Then you can decide if You like more the "way of the mop" (Semogue) VS "the way of the broom" (Omega).
I personally prefer the latter but as always YMMV.

I don't even consider the Semogue 830 and 1305 as boar brushes for their behavior (and look).
I consider them as "faux best badger".

I have sold the 830 after less than 50 uses for being too moppish and thrown away a useless 620 (arrived with the dreaded "doughnut" hole and the seller, "The Portuguese Factory" FYI, never responded).

Top Bottom