What's new

First boar brush recommendation?

I am not a great believer in "versatility" when it comes to brushes, but logically thinking, those of medium size. In Omega, the medium size are those that are 24x55mm (like the 80266, 10666, 11126, etc). In Semogue...the knots of the 1xxx models are fairly small, so i guess the SOC... I don't have the SOC, but just guessing based on knot size. For instance, bowl lathering with a 1250 or a 1800, is of course feasible, but the knots compared to something like the 10049, are tiny. In a bowl, the 49 will whip up a ton of lather much faster.

+1. I have been using the same 10049 daily for 9 years. Nothing beats it - not even Williams.

Thanks and since I only bowl lather I think the 10104 n 49 should be fine.

It’s a Razorock and then there is another quality - don’t remember the brand. They work fine with easily lathered soaps but I still don’t care for the feel. Don’t like badger either. Bottom line is that if it won’t quickly lather Williams, it ain’t worth having; if it lathers Williams well, it will lather anything. I’ve used the same 10049 daily for nearly ten years with a couple of short adulterous flings but always returned to my first love - a big ole boar. I use basically four soaps, Haslinger Schafmilch, MWF, Tabac and, on occasion, Williams Mug Soap.

I do like my RR Bruch but I've only used it on arko and proraso n not a hard soap.
It does the more effort than my Vie Long but it feels like a nice soft pillowly marshmallow smearing thick lather on my face. The Vie Long doesn't feel as nice.

I can't wait for when my brushes and TFS soap from the UK to arrive!

It’s a Razorock and then there is another quality - don’t remember the brand. They work fine with easily lathered soaps but I still don’t care for the feel. Don’t like badger either. Bottom line is that if it won’t quickly lather Williams, it ain’t worth having; if it lathers Williams well, it will lather anything. I’ve used the same 10049 daily for nearly ten years with a couple of short adulterous flings but always returned to my first love - a big ole boar. I use basically four soaps, Haslinger Schafmilch, MWF, Tabac and, on occasion, Williams Mug Soap.

Ah! I see! I haven't used Williams soap, i know it's hard and some here complain they can't lather it, so maybe the issue with the Razorock is the ultra soft tips that don't have enough bite to dig on the soap. I have Yaqi plissofts and lather anything, but i haven't tried it with a difficult soap like Wiliams. The boar can lather anything, exactly because it will bite on the soap. :001_005:

I'll be interested in your take on the 10104 @mawashi . I have one that I really like and use 99% of the time. It seems not to be a very popular model.

I face lather exclusively.

Last edited:
I'll be interested in your take on the 10104 @mawashi . I have one that I really like and use 99% of the time. It seems not to be a very popular model.

I'm waiting for it to arrive from the UK lol.
I can only comment once I've broken it in.

I only bowl lather but it'll be a good test vs my only 2 brushes a Vie Long n Bruce.

Cheers

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Thx so much Boar Fighter,

I'll try out the 49 n 10104 that's on their way but which semogue or Omega would you recommend for me next that is more versatile?

Cheers,

Mawashi

I have been using a White Knight synthetic brush since I started DE shaving 2 months ago. I just received an Omega s10005 synthetic brush and a Semogue 1800 Boar brush. I have had no problems lathering Mike's Natural Lime soap with either of my synthetic brushes, in fact the new Omega brush is really nice.
Now if I can just figure out how to break-in my Semogue 1800.

Doug

20190408_145727.jpg

I have been using a White Knight synthetic brush since I started DE shaving 2 months ago. I just received an Omega s10005 synthetic brush and a Semogue 1800 Boar brush. I have had no problems lathering Mike's Natural Lime soap with either of my synthetic brushes, in fact the new Omega brush is really nice.
Now if I can just figure out how to break-in my Semogue 1800.

Doug

View attachment 970513

Since, I don't own a semogue I can't really comment cept to say some seem to have found it hard to lather up when it hasn't broke in.

Boars seem to need more product to begin building lather. My omega 49 seem to require 2x the amount than my Bruce or Vie Long to get a good lather. Cos its a very new brush I'll need a week or more with it before I can comment more.

Cheers,

Mawashi

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Since, I don't own a semogue I can't really comment cept to say some seem to have found it hard to lather up when it hasn't broke in.

Boars seem to need more product to begin building lather. My omega 49 seem to require 2x the amount than my Bruce or Vie Long to get a good lather. Cos its a very new brush I'll need a week or more with it before I can comment more.

Cheers,

Mawashi
The 49 will break in and become a great brush. After the tips split they are as soft as a badger. I’ve been using the same 49 for 10 years and just bought a second I’m in the process of breaking in. It doesn’t take long. Just keep at it

The 49 will break in and become a great brush. After the tips split they are as soft as a badger. I’ve been using the same 49 for 10 years and just bought a second I’m in the process of breaking in. It doesn’t take long. Just keep at it

I tried a new method of breaking a boar, I found both the 104 and 49 great in their own ways.
Mawashi Patented 15 min Boar Busting Method lol.

I see why most people prefer the 49 and 48 as they're pillowy soft once broken in. The difference between a 49 n 104 is is like a soft vs medium toothbrush. Both get the job done but the the 49 is more comfy and

steveclarkus, having tried these bigger boars, I realised that they make more lather than I really need and I think I'll be taking your advice for a medium size brush like the 11126.

I didn't realise how big these brushes were until I compared them to my Vie Long 04382 which I is my only brush. Even though its only 21/58mm it makes more than enough lather for me so my next brush would be a 24mm knot at most lol.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I tried a new method of breaking a boar, I found both the 104 and 49 great in their own ways.

I see why most people prefer the 49 and 48 as they're pillowy soft once broken in. The difference between a 49 n 104 is is like a soft vs medium toothbrush. Both get the job done but the the 49 is more comfy and

steveclarkus, having tried these bigger boars, I realised that they make more lather than I really need and I think I'll be taking your advice for a medium size brush like the 11126.

I didn't realise how big these brushes were until I compared them to my Vie Long 04382 which I is my only brush. Even though its only 21/58mm it makes more than enough lather for me so my next brush would be a 24mm knot at most lol.
The 48 is indeed a big brush and pillowy soft. I even prefer it to a Badger for this reason and you are correct that it does produce a ton of lather, much of which goes down the drain. I counter this by getting soap on the dampened brush then face lathering adding water as I go. Face lathering is where the 49 really shines.

Oops I meant to say my only other natural hair brush. Being synthetic the Bruce doesn't have the backbone of a boar and doesn't lather quite as quickly.

Overall I'm happy with my little experiment and it's results but, the 49 n 104 are little more than I what I need which is a medium or even small brush. I heard the 13522 is a really good brush so lull likely get that and the 11126 on my next purchase.

Boar has been my favourite for years. If you want to try an ultra-soft boar, go with Omega 81064
81064 Omega Pure bristle shaving brush - badger effect - Omega Brush

It's a big knot, handle is my all time favourite of all brushes, knot is a bit too soft for me, but if you have a preference for soft brushes, this is worth a try.

I personally like face lathering with big brushes, but if you want a smaller "classic" boar feel, try the Omega 10081
10081 Omega Pure bristle shaving brush - Omega Brush

Handle is not my favourite but actually quite good, but the feel of the brush is like a 49, just smaller

If appearances matter, the paint chipped off of my Semogue 1305 very quickly. While the brush itself works well, it looks like hell.

The Omega 10049 is a fine brush in all respects.

Boar has been my favourite for years. If you want to try an ultra-soft boar, go with Omega 81064
81064 Omega Pure bristle shaving brush - badger effect - Omega Brush

It's a big knot, handle is my all time favourite of all brushes, knot is a bit too soft for me, but if you have a preference for soft brushes, this is worth a try.

I personally like face lathering with big brushes, but if you want a smaller "classic" boar feel, try the Omega 10081
10081 Omega Pure bristle shaving brush - Omega Brush

Handle is not my favourite but actually quite good, but the feel of the brush is like a 49, just smaller

The 81064 looks really nice. The knot of 25/58mm is very similar to the 49 (26/62mm) however, the 81064 is £13.25 vs just £6.5 for the 49.
To me £13 is getting into premium boar territory and there are nice options like the semogue 1800 too.

The £7 10081 & £7.5 80280, 81230 all seem to have the same knot just with different handles and £0.5 more for banded hair. I rather get the £9 11126 here as it has a wood not plastic handle with the same knot.

I have an omega 49 that is just starting to break in. After reading all the discussions on this forum i ordered a cherry handle boar from razorock (zenith mfr?) and a soc in cherry handle as well. I want to see what the differences between the 3 are, if any to my style.

If appearances matter, the paint chipped off of my Semogue 1305 very quickly. While the brush itself works well, it looks like hell.

The Omega 10049 is a fine brush in all respects.

The surprise would have been if the paint had NOT chipped off your Semogue. That's why i 've only bought non painted Semogues. Statistically speaking, if you buy painted, it's only a matter of when, not if, for the paint to come off. Fortunately, all painted Semogue knots, have their equivalent in non painted brush. Except for the 1305, whose equivalent is the 830, which has 10% more bristles.

Top Bottom