What's new

First album you ever bought?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
this is kind of the best image I've found for what I grew up using. Of course, the top "drawers" are fake, just there to make it look like furniture.
View attachment 875456
I use a deconstructed stereo console, replete with an integrated B&B coffee mug.

$IMG_8667.JPG

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
AC/DC Highway to Hell in 82ish I think. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I remember when that came out (I was 11 when it was released). My friend owned it. Our church said AC/DC was evil. Luckily, our parents didn't buy into that junk. When I stayed at his place we'd listen to it and play Risk or Stratego all night long

I remember when that came out (I was 11 when it was released). My friend owned it. Our church said AC/DC was evil. Luckily, our parents didn't buy into that junk. When I stayed at his place we'd listen to it and play Risk or Stratego all night long

Ah yes evil rock n roll. I remember my mother being non to happy about my musical tastes but she got used to it.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
It was either a Monkey's album or one by the Dave Clark 5. But I soon graduated to Led Zepplin and the Who.

Ah yes evil rock n roll. I remember my mother being non to happy about my musical tastes but she got used to it.

Black Sabbath albums went over big time in our evangelical household back in the early 70's, i still have them...
dave

I walked down to Woolworth's on the Plaza & bought James Taylor "Sweet Baby James" & "The Original Flying Machine". Spent much of my teen money at record stores.

What were the record stores you frequented and where were they? I grew up in Champaign, Illinois and the record stores were on the U of I campus. I frequented Discount Records early on, but moved to Record Service when I got more rock oriented than jazz/classical/soundtrack

Parallel Lines, Blondie.
That was a tape, my first vinyl may have been Plastic Letters or possibly Queen Live Killers
Either way, good choice, young me.

First album was Santana, the first one with the lions head. Didn’t buy it but won it at some arcade game in Wildwood NJ.
Album I have always had is Spirit - The Twelve Dreams of Dr Sardonicus.

Not trying to hijack the thread but....funny thing regarding the 16 rpm setting on some of those old portable flip top and console hi-fi's. Back in the late 60's and into the 70's some of us guys who were learning to play by ear (bass in my case) by copying riffs from LP's found that 16rpm is roughly half of 33 and 1/3. So for instance, if the riff to "Black Dog" by Zeppelin is a little too fast to figure out, you could switch the speed setting on the turntable to 16 and it would play half as fast and still be fairly close to being in tune with your guitar (with maybe a slight touch-up sharp/flat overall). The record playing at half speed drops the pitch approx. an octave down. This is how we old dudes did it before software enabled us to vary tempos independent of pitch etc.(I think I used this to figure out the bass part to "Ramble On") Yep. And I might add, there was something to be said for doing it the hard way. Some of us can actually play.

i don't remember the first i bought but i do remember the first i destroyed - well, it had fallen behind a hot radiator and got all warped up: Yes, 'Closed to the Edge'. Brand new, just came out, i had it for 2-3 months! I thought the world was ending....

Top Bottom