What's new

First album you ever bought?

A few of my coworkers and I were talking a while back about the albums that shaped is, and the first albums we bought with our own money. And that made me want to ask you guys! So what's the first album you ever bought with your own money, and how old were you? Mine was Maroon 5's "Songs About Jane," and I was eleven years old. My dad's was Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Pronounced" album, and I think he was thirteen.

Biked down to the local record shop and picked up Korn “Follow the Leader” when I was ten in 1998. Good times.

Was either Cosmos Factory by CCR, but was it my own money or... Black Sabbath Paranoid in 1971(?) which was my own money, summer between grade nine and ten. First track i'd heard was War Pigs, played by the dj Dave Marsden on 104.5, CHUM FM in Toronto.
dave

Last edited:
The Beatles White Album. Rode my bike to the mall in 1976 and used my paper route money. I was 13 then. I still love that album. Just bought another vinyl copy last weekend!

The Who's greatest hits. I grew up in the 80's but couldn't stand what I was hearing on the radio. I think Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 64-71 followed soon after. I played Midnight Rambler a lot. After that Jimi blew my mind, and my yellow sports walkman was never the same again.

My older sister had many records which exposed me to a variety of R&B. I also had a Sears cassette player and a portable Seabreeze record player and I remember listening to Zeppelin 1&2 when they came out but I think the first album I actually went and bought was Billion Dollar Babies in '73 (I was 13).

Meet the Beatles

First 45s, It Will Stand by The Showmen, and Elvis Presley's Can't Help Falling in Love (which is now said to be a double A side with Rock-A-Hula Baby; at the time I would have said RAHB was the A side, which is scary)

First cassette I had that was mine and I listened to repeatedly in it's entirety was Guns n Roses, Appetite for Destruction. I didn't pay for it though it was in my Christmas stocking. Pretty sure Mom forgot to return the card from Columbia House to say not to send it, then just gave it to me rather than sending it back. Also pretty sure she had know idea what was on it.
I think I was 11 at the time maybe 10.:em2300:

First one I picked out and bought Poison, Open up and say ahh!

Bought three together that first time. I was no older than 13.
First Santana album (called Santana),
Hot Rats by Frank Zappa, and
Abbey Road (side two still the best album side ever)​

Didn’t buy 45s until many years later, when I bought Devo’s first 45 from Stiff Records in yellow vinyl, and Little Nell’s Stilettos and Lipstick in red vinyl (B side was Fire).

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
1976, I was 10 lol.

51SUWsbmnHL.jpg

First album I actually bought was Foreigner 4 as a birthday gift for my older brother. The first album I bought for myself was Who's Last, a pretty lifeless live album from The Who's "final" tour of '82. Pretty great band for your first record. Pretty dreadful album.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
We had large collections of 45's. The first album was probably either Surfer Girl by the Beach Boys or A hard Day's Night by the Beatles.

Top Bottom