What's new

Finishing

Read @Slash McCoy thread “Newbies Honing Compendium “ and all your questions will be answered. I use this method exactly from A to Z and get perfectly repeatable results. The instructions should/must be followed as precisely as a cooking recipe. I have only found two downsides: 1. You will never have to hone the razor again and will have to buy more to have something to hone. (My solution to this has been to buy bunches of GD66’s directly from China). 2. You won’t be able to participate in all the threads on honing stones (coties, from what I’ve read have a grit equivalent of +/- 8k & I prefer 200,000k).
Two problems I’ve identified in my shaving are too much pressure and blade angle and that is what I’m paying attention to now. I’m certain I have a sharp razor so any problem must be my own doing and therefore correctable by tweaking the way I shave bit not overthink it - it is just shaving after all. It helps to do it every day. If you don’t have time in the morning see if you can get away with shaving before bed. Also, start doing your whole face and accepting what you get. Don’t expect DE quality right off. You got good results with a DE Because you knew how to use a DE. The hardest part is the chin anyway and you are having success there already. Just start doing the rest of your face. I’m finding less pressure and maintaining a narrower blade angle beneficial. Too wide an angle and you arejust scraping your face. Narrow cuts the whiskers and doesn’t scrape your skin. These are just my observations and everyone’s Face ID different and it is your face you have to learn to shave and you have to let it be the ultimate guide. I’m sure you, with patience, figure it out soon. :001_smile

I’m optimistic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will probably sooner or later get the bug to try a coti or Jnat. Its okay. No need to feel like a traitor to the cause. Your sure, cheap, and consistent lapping film will still be there waiting for the rock madness to fade away.

The only allure of a coticule or barber’s hone is the ease and speed of use. I’m figuring you have to cut strips of film and wet the plate to stick it down to. You can’t just run a few quick laps on that stone at your elbow.

Once addicted to film, I would probably use different blades until I could get to the one needing TLC.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The only allure of a coticule or barber’s hone is the ease and speed of use. I’m figuring you have to cut strips of film and wet the plate to stick it down to. You can’t just run a few quick laps on that stone at your elbow.

Once addicted to film, I would probably use different blades until I could get to the one needing TLC.

Well, you usually cut a sheet of film into three strips. One strip is usually good for a dozen razors, sometimes more. Sticking the film to the plate takes maybe 5 seconds. In the film thread you will find a link to my youtube film honing videos. A rock needs to be lapped occasionally. Preferably a quick go at it at the beginning of each honing session. So the film doesn't really take any more time than rocks. And if you keep a plate for each grade of film and another plate for sandpaper, then you cut your time down even more. But time means little to a Jedi Honer. If you have 30 razors to hone today, yeah. Buying another razor every week or so, its no big deal.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Well, you usually cut a sheet of film into three strips. One strip is usually good for a dozen razors, sometimes more. Sticking the film to the plate takes maybe 5 seconds. In the film thread you will find a link to my youtube film honing videos. A rock needs to be lapped occasionally. Preferably a quick go at it at the beginning of each honing session. So the film doesn't really take any more time than rocks. And if you keep a plate for each grade of film and another plate for sandpaper, then you cut your time down even more. But time means little to a Jedi Honer. If you have 30 razors to hone today, yeah. Buying another razor every week or so, its no big deal.
:a13:

Well I guess I was thinking that the film wouldn’t stay put once it dried out and you’d have to reseat it every time you started a new session.

Down the rabbit hole I go. I ordered three acrylic blocks from TAP. It was cheaper per block that way. They are 1”x3”x7” so it will easily slide into my shaving cabinet and be at hand. The 7” is longer than a 5” barber hone, so hopefully that is good enough.

Now...any good sources for film, especially single grades and not assorted packs? I’m assuming 1μm is the way to go for finishing?

Have you checked to make sure your 12K is dead flat? Also, what is your stropping routine?

I haven’t tried the 12K yet. It is brand new and I haven’t had time to flatten it, but I will.

I strop immediately after shaving to get the blade out of the bathroom air. I hit the linen with 25 laps and the leather with 60 laps.

I am finding that my blades are very sharp. I’m just not proficient. I accidentally continued to hold the blade in my right hand when shaving my left side yesterday. I was subconsciously overcoming the binding in my elbow trying to position the blade and I was light but aggressive. Anyway, it was super smooth, quite a bit irritated, and red spots appeared. I never get red spots with a DE.

I don’t suspect my blades are dull, but I want to be equipped to maintain them.

Cool. Only thing I'd say is that even dull blade s will shave well if the beard is soft. Prep is king.

Yes. I spent extra care washing my face first and slathered some Cremo on, rubbing it in. Then Proraso red finished the lathering. It seemed to work a lot better than just rinsing and lathering.

Top Bottom