What's new

Finally Sharp - a humbling experience with film

I finally sharpened a razor. Properly. I have been straight razor shaving for a few months now, and have acquired a variety of items to facilitate my growing interest in this hobby. I started with a coticule, a "La Grise" it turned out - which I found through experience and research to be a slow, somewhat frustrating stone to learn how to hone on. I also have an old Norton 4/8k which isn't slow, but also, it turned out, didn't get the razor very sharp.

None-the-less, I managed a shaveable edge, and enjoyed the process of learning how to shave. I was left wondering if I had achieved a reasonable edge or not. My hanging hair tests were underwhelming, but there are thread that leave one thinking that it doesn't matter much for coticules.

Additionally, I had very little difficulty learning the technique of shaving. I mean, I barely cut myself. Maybe the first couple of shaves - but then I managed to debeard myself regularly with no blood and no stinging. I told myself it was the smooth coticule edge, and indeed, it must be part of it.

I had a nagging suspicion that my edges weren't very sharp though, and so I ordered some film from china. Now I finally got around to refinishing the two Gold Dollars I also worked on earlier this summer with 3um, 1um, and 0.5um film.

I have to learn how to shave again. Like almost from scratch. My face was a mess for three shaves. My handling of the blade, which I previously regarded as a deft touch, left an inch long bleeder this afternoon.

I'm going to try touching up on the coticule to see if I can get some kind of compromise - but man - sharp is not easy to shave with. And I'm sure I could go sharper. I have lost any doubt that I am far from maximizing what is possible.

The journey begins again.

My understanding is that coticules create a micro-convexed bevel. This narrows the very edge, at the expense of an increased bevel angle over the final 3 microns or so. If true, this would undo the work you've done with the film.

But if you do it with plain water - no slurry - this effect will be minimised. You may be able to sneak up on the compromise you're after in very few strokes.

I'm just going by what I've read though.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@javast, congratulations on your first lapping film edge. Lapping films can be a great (and economical) way to learn good SR honing technique. What you learn with lapping films carries over well into honing on whetstones.

I would suggest that you keep on working with your GDs on the films. Having two "identical" SRs is a great way to compare different honing techniques.

To increase the comfort of shaving with your film edges, try finishing each of your three lapping film honings with a few short X strokes, say 6 laps on the 3μm, 9 on the 1μm and 12 on the 0.5μm. For many, this has increased the "comfort" level of the edge. Do it with just one of your GDs so that you can compare the difference against the other GD, if any.

If you really want the keenest of edges, drop the 0.5μm film and finish on diamond pasted balsa, 0.5μm, 0.25μm and 0.1μm. If you are not too set in your shaving ways with less keen edges, diamond pasted balsa edges can be an eye-opener in SR shaving and really developing your shaving technique.

Coticule edges are definitely easy to shave with compared to sharper edges. Something I would try while getting use to the sharper edges - when you are done with the progression do 5 light laps under running water on the coticule. Should not dull the edge too much but make it easier to shave with.

Doesn’t matter how you get there.

Doubt there is anything wrong with the Norton’s, thousands of guys learned to hone and got great shaves off them. Took mine down and honed a few razors on them recently, they worked just fine.

Likely the Nortons got you close and the aggressive film sealed the deal.

A1k, any 1k, bevel set, 8k clean up and finish on 1um film is a dirt simple, great shaving edge.

Coticules are a rabbit hole, unless you get lucky. Do you feel lucky?

Doesn’t matter how you get there.

Doubt there is anything wrong with the Norton’s, thousands of guys learned to hone and got great shaves off them. Took mine down and honed a few razors on them recently, they worked just fine.

Likely the Nortons got you close and the aggressive film sealed the deal.

A1k, any 1k, bevel set, 8k clean up and finish on 1um film is a dirt simple, great shaving edge.

My La Grise had me staring down the edge of that particular abyss, but honestly, the film experience kind of pulled me back. I love @Christian1212 advice - it was pretty much the next logical idea that popped into my head. Tomorrow is shaving day, so why not give it a try...

+1. I’ve rolled the coti dice four times now and haven’t been lucky yet. That’s the worst strike rate of any stone for me. I’m sure that I’ll try again sometime.
A timely reminder for me as I, once again, get tempted with the coticule bug.

So, reporting back on my coticule re-finishing experience. I took my previously film-finished razor, and made exactly 6 extremely light x-strokes on my coticule under running water. It barely felt like I did anything, however, I noticed that the previously mirror-finished bevel, now has a light hazing just at the edge - not all the way across the bevel, but just at the edge. I can imagine some slightly larger striations are in play there, but I didn't check, and instead went straight to the shave.

1. It wasn't as sharp as before - like I didn't feel like it was about to fillet my face at every false move.
2. I was able to use a tiny bit more angle when I needed to around the curves, and it wasn't an issue.
3. The _sound_ of the shave - by which I mean the sound of the hairs popping - was a tiny bit louder than with the original film edge. But nowhere near as loud as with the pure coticule edge.
4. It pulled through the whiskers with no noticable additional force, as compared to the film edge - this was especially evident on the fools pass and elsewhere ATG.
5. No irritation, and no bleeding.

I think I found a winner.

Well do ya punk?
(Sorry couldn’t help that)
Big congratulations on sharpening the thing.
When I started I, like you, just knew my edges weren’t right until I eventually learned on films.
It still took me a very long time and a venture into natural stones before my edges got to where they are today.
But getting your first proper shaving edge is a great start and as my friend @Tomo suggested, different finishers can really change the character of the razor. This is a huge part of the fun for me personally. I haven’t made a film edge in years but I think I might just order a pack.

Last edited:
Top Bottom