What's new

Finally Scored Some Of These Vintage Blades At A Decent Price.

s-l16o.jpg

Never tried a Schick DE blade. I usually don't shave with vintage blades though. I tried an old (40s or 50s) blue blade once and it just wasn't fun.

Have they held their edges?

-jim

Not sure if the Schicks and the Gillettes fall into the "vintage" range, but New Old Stock (NOS) for sure.

I favor NOS Gillette and Schick DE blades. I currently have a Schick Super Chromium and a Gillette Platinum Plus in rotation and they shave magnificently. I'm particularly impressed with the Schick Super Chromium--smooth and sharp and lots of longevity.

Ingram & Bell was a surgical supply house. Those blades might be the Schick equivalent of Personna's Med Prep blades. Potentially awesome blades!

Last edited:
Never tried a Schick DE blade. I usually don't shave with vintage blades though. I tried an old (40s or 50s) blue blade once and it just wasn't fun.

Have they held their edges?

-jim
Seller claims they are fine but I wont know until I get them in hand and shave. Carbon blades are hit and miss, mostly miss but stainless varieties are excellent, you should try some you might not want to go back to modern blades.

I was not a fan of carbon steel blades and was glad when Wilkinson introduced their stainless steel blades. It may be my imagination but I thought the stainless blades back then (Wilkinson and Gillette) were thicker than the modern blades today.

Ingram & Bell was a surgical supply house. Those blades might be the Schick equivalent of Personna's Med Prep blades. Potentially awesome blades!

Exactly, that's why I took the risk. They also don't come up for sale in such a large amount like you see with other Schick versions especially the Platinum or even the Gillette equivalent Spoilers.

I was not a fan of carbon steel blades and was glad when Wilkinson introduced their stainless steel blades. It may be my imagination but I thought the stainless blades back then (Wilkinson and Gillette) were thicker than the modern blades today.

I'm pretty sure they are, as to my ear when I drop a vintage blade into my one piece razors the sound pitch it makes is different than modern one. I've never done a flex test which would probably be the easiest way to compare without a proper measuring tool.

I use vintage blades exclusively, including some carefully chosen carbon ones. The vintage blades from their introduction untill they were phased out of production, or almost phased out, in the states were better made than current models. They're not worth what's normally asked for them now except to collectors but if you can find or negotiate a fair price for use and are a little careful about condition they are exceptional.

Blades arrived today. I decided to take one from the dispensers first, they were stuck so 2 blades came out. I tried putting the top one back and think I damaged the edges in the process. Either way the blade looks perfect, no rust or oxidation and will be shaving with it tomorrow or Sunday and will update with a quick review.

First shave: No tugging or pulling but a little rough to be honest. A couple of weepers but the end result was a nice close DFS. I wont hold this blade as the standard as I have no clue how or where the open non sealed dispenser was stored all these years.

Very nice blades. The date codes and the packing on the Gillettes look they are from 1996-97. The Schicks appear potentially older. They are in a very unique packet, as paper wrapped Schicks are kind of hard to find, as their razors were usually bundled with the metal dispensers like on the right.

Very nice blades. The date codes and the packing on the Gillettes look they are from 1996-97. The Schicks appear potentially older. They are in a very unique packet, as paper wrapped Schicks are kind of hard to find, as their razors were usually bundled with the metal dispensers like on the right.
Never thought to look at the date codes on the Gillettes but you are correct. The Schicks are 70's 80's I decided to peek under the wrapper of one and to my surprise they aren't plain super stainless they are Super Krona Chrome blades which from my research are even better.

Shave 2: A little worse than shave 1 in terms of roughness, it took a lot of work to get a DFS. I am now pretty sure the edges were deteriorated from exposure to the elements over the years. Sadly I don't think risking it for a 3rd shave is a good idea, but the good news as mentioned in the previous post is that the wrapped blades are the superior: Super Krona Chrome blades. I will update again when I decided to try those as I have many new blades awaiting trail.

Just had my first shave with the Schick Super Chromium. Much better experience than with the plain Super Stainless. Much smoother and just a tad bit sharper although it still doesn't top Light Brigades or Personna SPC.

Top Bottom