What's new

Vintage Razor Blades (DE, Injector, SE, etc.)?

I’ve used 70’s Schick blades and Gillette spoilers. Both were excellent. I wouldn’t go too far back though. I wouldn’t use the old Gillette blue blades. Evidently they don’t age well and are unpleasant by today’s standards. Although, I am curious to try one at least once to see for myself.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I frequently use DE blades from the 1950s and they work well but no better than a modern blade, for me it is all a part of the experience - vintage razor, vintage brush, vintage soap, vintage aftershave, and vintage blade. As said though, for me there is a limit to DE blade age, some of the very old blades are unpleasant to use as they have degraded over time. I also use Schick Injector blades which are pre 1970; they are excellent and very long lasting, but I have never tried a modern injector blade with which to compare them.

1709796175636.png

Last edited:
I have many different vintage blades of all kinds and have used...well at least tried most of them. The PAL hollow ground injector blades are horrible, but most other DE and SE have been passible and some very good. I have used the Gillette Blues and they worked just fine for me.

Have you used a Gillette Thin? I have some but haven’t ever tried one. Mostly based on other’s experiences here.
I frequently use DE blades from the 1950s and they work well but no better than a modern blade, for me it is all a part of the experience - vintage razor, vintage brush, vintage soap, vintage aftershave, and vintage blade. As said though, for me there is a limit to DE blade age, some of the very old blades are unpleasant to use as they have degraded over time. I also use Schick Injector blades which are pre 1970; they are excellent and very long lasting, but I have never tried a modern injector blade with which to compare them.

View attachment 1808059

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Have you used a Gillette Thin? I have some but haven’t ever tried one. Mostly based on other’s experiences here.
Yes, I use them often and find them perfectly fine, they are mid level sharpness and consistent for several shaves. I have certainly tried worse modern blades. I suggest you give them a try 👍

I am assembling a small collection of examples of DE blades from all brands. My plan is to put them in a framed display (picture frame) behind glass to put on the wall of my shave den or what I hope to make into a shave den.

Any of you create a display of blades?

I have an extensive stash of vintage blades from the golden era; mid 60's to mid 70's. Over 2,000 blades.
Why? IMHO, they are superior in performance and longevity to modern blades.
I still use modern blades for variety, and some work great for me, but in my experience, the golden era blades cannot be beat.

I use mostly 60's and 70's British Wilkinsons and Gillette spoilers. I find those blades are much smoother and longer lasting than modern blades. Like others have said, this was the golden age. I don't mind spending a little more. A modern blade costing 10 cents/each used once is the same as a Gillette spoiler costing 50 cents giving me 5 super smooth shaves. I have plenty of modern blades and they do the job just fine but they are not as smooth to me.

Like EclipseRedRing, I’m a fan of vintage shaving gear. As for razor blades, I have and use various Gillette, Schick, Personna, and Wilkinson blades from the 1970s and 80s. I’m not really sure why I started using this stuff. Curiosity??? Whatever the reason, they tend to last significantly longer than my modern blades and they’ve given me many of my all-time best shaves. Sadly, the asking price for these blades is often beyond my means. You have to keep your eyes open and patiently wait for the good deals to come along.

I have been curious to try vintage blades. Only ones I have are Gibbs mince blades but are rusted ☹️.

I'll try some one day. Heard great things about the spoilers. I wanted to try some NOS Gem blades.

Top Bottom