What's new

Film.

I've shot and developed film for many decades. Some recent years more than others. I sometimes like mixing my own developer. The ingredients for something like D-76 can last a long time and it isn't complicated to mix. I develop in the laundry room and load the tank in the bathroom with a towel under the door. The enlargers are all stored away but might come out at some point. The flatbed scanners with a negative adapter work ok. I have a dedicated film scanner for 35mm which produces sharper results. If I didn't have those I might consider using a macro lens on a digital camera with a film holder. Favorite camera is the Leica M4, but lately I've been playing around with old box cameras. I just got a Holga which looks like fun.

...lately I've been playing around with old box cameras. I just got a Holga which looks like fun.

I love these things! So simple and capable of surprising results.
Was given a Hawkeye brownie set with flash attachment, still had all the bulbs in box.
I picked up a Zeiss Ikon Box Tengor (56/2) in great condition. Adds slight flexibility to
a simple camera. Can't wait to try them out!!

I have been back using film almost exclusively gore the past 3 years. I have one 35mm, a hasselblad for medium format (generally my weapon of choice) and a Sinar F2 for the shots that must have perspective correction.

I develop and scan my own film mostly. Occasionally I have a pro lab develop and scan. While scans are awesome, when compared to a darkroom print, I usually choose the print. I use a Beseler 67C and a Devere 504 Dichromat for enlargements. It really is a pain in the butt - yet strangely rewarding. Yep, I am a photo-nerd.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I still have my rs 6x7 pro 2 kit. But I really miss the meticulousness 4x5, 8x10, the smell of dark room chemical on you clothes, I miss pulling polaroids, Fuji fp100. Peeling apart an 8x10 cross processed Polaroid!!!!!!

I’ll be spending some time with the developing tanks this weekend.

B7FFCAFD-6721-4EA8-AA4F-5E30D444E757.jpeg

I'll let you know how it all turns out once tried. Looks like a well built system. Picked it up with developer for B&W from an online project dedicated to film photography;)
Didn't want to have to fumble with a bag just to get back into taking a few candid pictures.
I'm from the old point and shoot crowd with drugstore developing and was always happy with the results.
Have a bit more time on my hands now and wanted the nostalgia of seeing photos analog for a change.
The whole chemistry side of developing has me fascinated and will keep me busy for a while.

Managed to process a roll of film with the Lab Box, ok I guess for 100ASA and limited choices for models willing to pose for someone with dodgy photo skills. Glad to see the Yashica still works. I've got a lot of work to do...maybe try 400 speed next to gauge the difference.
Eve.jpg

I have several rolls of Fuji 400 True Definition color film I got from Walmart when they were blowing them out in 2005. Been in my freezer ever since. I want to shoot with them but good luck getting them developed properly. 😞

That's an excellent capture of Ole Neil Young, looking really young.

When I look at some of my old slides, I think, "man, I was better than I thought I was at the time!"

Trying to explain to younger photographers how we had to wait to see the shot, how important composition was, etc..... I know they get it, kinda, but they didn't live it, and don't really realize how danged HARD it could be.

Now get off my lawn you kids!!!

Yeah and with these new phones with multiple lenses everyday nobodies who have no clue about photography are getting perfect exposures with crazy dynamic range, every single time! Dodging and burning, all done for you at breakneck speeds, silently 😡

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yeah and with these new phones with multiple lenses everyday nobodies who have no clue about photography are getting perfect exposures with crazy dynamic range, every single time! Dodging and burning, all done for you at breakneck speeds, silently 😡
So well said my friend.

Totally get what you mean. I ruined two rolls of film last night because they fell off the drying clip. Woke up in the morning and the film was crusty and dried together on the floor. Some frames were somewhat viewable but nothing that I’d ever print.

Totally get what you mean. I ruined two rolls of film last night because they fell off the drying clip. Woke up in the morning and the film was crusty and dried together on the floor. Some frames were somewhat viewable but nothing that I’d ever print.
Can you rewash them to see if the crud comes out?

Can you rewash them to see if the crud comes out?
I rewashed the film and most of the dust came off. The problem is that the film back got scratched and rubbed/smudged so a lot of the images just aren’t perfect. I’ll try to scan a couple that are on the better side.

Finished the roll of film and developed it. Used the cinestill df96 monobath and it only took 3 minutes for the whole process.

Used a phone app to make this scan, camera is the half frame with JCH StreetPan 400iso film

C8E1B89E-3B53-4FF0-A41B-2B2AEBA0E37F.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Managed to process a roll of film with the Lab Box, ok I guess for 100ASA and limited choices for models willing to pose for someone with dodgy photo skills. Glad to see the Yashica still works. I've got a lot of work to do...maybe try 400 speed next to gauge the difference.
View attachment 1066651
What I love about this is the fact that it could pass for a 60 year old print.

Top Bottom