What's new

Film.

Working my way through a roll of Delta 100 B&W over the holidays in a Yashica 12 I bought a year ago. After noticing that my wife and I hadn't used a film camera in 20yrs. (point and shoot) I decided to go the other way and try totally manual gear. Santa brought me a Lab Box day tank developer and I can't wait to see how the negs scan out! Digital has a lot going for it as stated previously but I do miss the way film pics look to my eye.

Had an old roll of Ilford fp4 at the bottom of my camera.

Developed it home and used a light box to take some pics with my phone. View attachment 1043307View attachment 1043308
on frame 5, is that over exposure, or what. My rolls of tx400 have huge crap loads of frames like that. Noritsu scanners get NOTHING from it, but my 5mp negative scanner gets small bits of things form the image.

Not sure if over exposure, or processing issue.

on frame 5, is that over exposure, or what. My rolls of tx400 have huge crap loads of frames like that. Noritsu scanners get NOTHING from it, but my 5mp negative scanner gets small bits of things form the image.

Not sure if over exposure, or processing issue.

I metered for the window, so the room was mostly dark in the frame. You can still see details but if I play and adjust the shadows I could probably get more details out of it.

Working my way through a roll of Delta 100 B&W over the holidays in a Yashica 12 I bought a year ago. After noticing that my wife and I hadn't used a film camera in 20yrs. (point and shoot) I decided to go the other way and try totally manual gear. Santa brought me a Lab Box day tank developer and I can't wait to see how the negs scan out! Digital has a lot going for it as stated previously but I do miss the way film pics look to my eye.

Really interested in your thoughts on that lab box I was looking into that but was afraid to pull the trigger. It goes really well with the cinestill monobath too. One step and you’re done in minutes.

on developing, some film may not work well with the monobath. Reading on some black and white film, just like some color films, you may need to use specific chemicals.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
There are, or at least were, scanners that had a negative adapter. The one I use is an older Canon LiDE 600f. Negative adapter on the right.

View attachment 1043870

It works great for scanning slides and negatives.

This shot of Neil Young I took in 1984 on Kodachrome 100 pushed to 400. That was with a Nikon F3 HP and a Nikkor 1.2 50mm. Picture scanned from the negative in my Canon and then through Adobe CS5 to clean it up a bit.

View attachment 1043871

This one of the fiddle player in his band is directly from the negative without being processed through CS5.

View attachment 1043873

When it comes to medium format and B&W photography, the work by Bradford Washburn really intrigued me but I never got to that point.

One of his shots of McKinley taken with infrared film.

View attachment 1043876

I sold all my film gear years ago and regret it.
That's an excellent capture of Ole Neil Young, looking really young.

When I look at some of my old slides, I think, "man, I was better than I thought I was at the time!"

Trying to explain to younger photographers how we had to wait to see the shot, how important composition was, etc..... I know they get it, kinda, but they didn't live it, and don't really realize how danged HARD it could be.

Now get off my lawn you kids!!!

on developing, some film may not work well with the monobath. Reading on some black and white film, just like some color films, you may need to use specific chemicals.
If you’re sticking to the more commonly available b&w films they should be fine with a monobath. I’ve done a bunch of reading on the cinestill and it seems it can develop pretty much anything available right now.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That's an excellent capture of Ole Neil Young, looking really young.

When I look at some of my old slides, I think, "man, I was better than I thought I was at the time!"

Trying to explain to younger photographers how we had to wait to see the shot, how important composition was, etc..... I know they get it, kinda, but they didn't live it, and don't really realize how danged HARD it could be.

Now get off my lawn you kids!!!

Working in low and changing light, with a moving subject, on ISO 100 film pushed as far as you could without sacrificing image quality. Those were the days! lol

I have, literally, a suitcase full of 35mm negatives. Lots of concert pictures, wildlife shots and landscapes but what I really enjoyed was long exposures of a minute or more. I dont even know if any of the new cameras that arent costly pro DSLR bodies have a Bulb setting.

Working in low and changing light, with a moving subject, on ISO 100 film pushed as far as you could without sacrificing image quality. Those were the days! lol

I have, literally, a suitcase full of 35mm negatives. Lots of concert pictures, wildlife shots and landscapes but what I really enjoyed was long exposures of a minute or more. I dont even know if any of the new cameras that arent costly pro DSLR bodies have a Bulb setting.

They do have that feature on just about all of them. Gotta go through the user manual. Have seen lighting shots done by a guy with a Nikon DSLR that he said were done by keeping the shutter open for 5 minutes at a time

Really interested in your thoughts on that lab box I was looking into that but was afraid to pull the trigger. It goes really well with the cinestill monobath too. One step and you’re done in minutes.

I'll let you know how it all turns out once tried. Looks like a well built system. Picked it up with developer for B&W from an online project dedicated to film photography;)
Didn't want to have to fumble with a bag just to get back into taking a few candid pictures.
I'm from the old point and shoot crowd with drugstore developing and was always happy with the results.
Have a bit more time on my hands now and wanted the nostalgia of seeing photos analog for a change.
The whole chemistry side of developing has me fascinated and will keep me busy for a while.

I'll let you know how it all turns out once tried. Looks like a well built system. Picked it up with developer for B&W from an online project dedicated to film photography;)
Didn't want to have to fumble with a bag just to get back into taking a few candid pictures.
I'm from the old point and shoot crowd with drugstore developing and was always happy with the results.
Have a bit more time on my hands now and wanted the nostalgia of seeing photos analog for a change.
The whole chemistry side of developing has me fascinated and will keep me busy for a while.

Haha yes I am familiar with that project lol.

I do like how you load the film with the lab box. I have a film retriever that pulls the leader out so I can kinda load film without a bag too.

Which developer did you get with the box? So far I’ve only played around with the cinestill monobath. I will probably pick up the normal three strange developers in the near future but for now I’m enjoying what I have.

Which developer did you get with the box? So far I’ve only played around with the cinestill monobath. I will probably pick up the normal three strange developers in the near future but for now I’m enjoying what I have.

The kit came with their version of D-76 and fixer, I sprung for some archival wash and foto flow.
I love the idea of a monobath, will get around to it. I picked up a darkroom cookbook and like to think I may try making my own developer from chems by mail...I hear coffee has some interest too.

The kit came with their version of D-76 and fixer, I sprung for some archival wash and foto flow.
I love the idea of a monobath, will get around to it. I picked up a darkroom cookbook and like to think I may try making my own developer from chems by mail...I hear coffee has some interest too.

Awesome. The darkroom cookbook sounds really interesting. I will be looking forward to when you get to play with it all.

IF you are trying to get good results from the get go,,, just use the factory made monobath from cinestil. FPP has their "own" monobath, but the way its described on their site, its the same thing as cinestill uses.

There are a few other monobaths that are mentioned on the internet, but they have been out of production fbefore 2018.

There is nothing with trying to make your own, but youll have to waste a lot of film in order to figure out the actual recipe, and waste even more film trying to figure out the development time.

you can process color at home, but the cost of getting into THAT would be enough to process 100 rolls at pro photo. they charge 3.89 a roll to develop.

you can process color at home, but the cost of getting into THAT would be enough to process 100 rolls at pro photo. they charge 3.89 a roll to develop.

I’ve been told the cinestill c41 kit is pretty good.

Developing for a roll here is $10 not including scans or prints. So once I get the cinestill monobath down and can do it easily I will start to try with the colour kit. I already have the tanks and bags and thermometer, all I really need is separate chemical containers.

I’ve been told the cinestill c41 kit is pretty good.

Developing for a roll here is $10 not including scans or prints. So once I get the cinestill monobath down and can do it easily I will start to try with the colour kit. I already have the tanks and bags and thermometer, all I really need is separate chemical containers.

Monobath has been a long sought after discovery since probably 1930. So many things have been tried for that approach that require super difficult developing processes that are actually worse then standard chemistry.

when you add up the amount of chemical needed for Color its not exactly fun. Or the number, or the cost of them. They DONT seem to "stretch" out in usage like black and white can.

by stretch I mean how many times you can reuse the chemical. Sure a lot of black and white chemicals can be "extended" simply by increasing the development time, but for a good number of C41 chemicals, use a Paterson tank and the amount needed to fill the tank is only enough for two rolls of 35mm or a single roll of 120 or 220.

Yet with using MOST black and white chemicals, control the temperature and you can get 3, 4, even 5 usable rolls of developed negatives just by increasing the development time.

Awesome. The darkroom cookbook sounds really interesting. I will be looking forward to when you get to play with it all.
It seems to contain a lot of different B&W recipes, of course they also seem to be all over the place online. I was looking for something to help explain the chemistry of developing film. Since I don't see myself as a photographer and just taking pictures the way I did ages ago, it's just for the fun of it and film isn't that expen$e;)
The FFP C-41 kit is two part (developer and "blix). I'll give it a go once I use up my D-76. I came across a chemical supplier in Canada so I will eventually mix up my own versions of D-76 and maybe try color too.

It seems to contain a lot of different B&W recipes, of course they also seem to be all over the place online. I was looking for something to help explain the chemistry of developing film. Since I don't see myself as a photographer and just taking pictures the way I did ages ago, it's just for the fun of it and film isn't that expen$e;)
The FFP C-41 kit is two part (developer and "blix). I'll give it a go once I use up my D-76. I came across a chemical supplier in Canada so I will eventually mix up my own versions of D-76 and maybe try color too.

Chemical temperature helps make color one of the unpleasant ones, and its a lot tighter on how long the film is in each step, when they say "1 minute 32 seconds at x temp" they MEAN IT>

Black and white is all about the silver.

Top Bottom