What's new

Filarmonica Question...

I generally love the history of razors and learning about the icons in the industry. I've been doing a lot searching for used/NOS Filis and trying to figure out what to look for when purchasing from auction sites, etc. Is it weird that some of the ones I am seeing don't have any etching or names on the face of the blade? The tang etchings are present and the scale engravings are as well. Do you have to be worried about "counterfeit" Filis on the second hand market? Thanks!

ETA - if there are any places you all recommend to look for them, I would greatly appreciate it. PM if you want!

Don't rush into it. There are many (MANY) Filarmonicas out there. JMP made a truckload of them. Be patient and wait for a good one. I have an NOS in perfect condition, and yes it was pricey. But I also picked up a rusted one with broken scales for a song. I had it polished, honed and rescaled for about $45 and it is a trusted daily driver. Nothing wrong with having a user grade Filarmonica in the rotation.

Don't rush into it. There are many (MANY) Filarmonicas out there. JMP made a truckload of them. Be patient and wait for a good one. I have an NOS in perfect condition, and yes it was pricey. But I also picked up a rusted one with broken scales for a song. I had it polished, honed and rescaled for about $45 and it is a trusted daily driver. Nothing wrong with having a user grade Filarmonica in the rotation.
Great post. I would love both. One NOS and a trusted daily driver. Just trying to figure out how to find them. Are the NOS advertising that you see out there really legitimate? I'd love to know how to find them.

Just because something is sold/auctioned as NOS doesnt mean it is. You look for signs of honeware etc. Sometimes it can be tricky to spot. Pictures are not clear, shot at angles to hide things etc.
When not sure I reach out to a group of friends for a second opinion.
For what it's worth I have 2 early 3rd gen fili Novodurs without the JMP stamp and you cant tell them apart from the 2nd generation BUT for a new buyer I agree with the above advice and play it safe with the JMP stamp.

Just because something is sold/auctioned as NOS doesnt mean it is. You look for signs of honeware etc. Sometimes it can be tricky to spot. Pictures are not clear, shot at angles to hide things etc.

That's what I thought but wasn't sure. The pictures suck most of the time.

I don't mind paying for NOS, but a lot of them just don't actually look NOS. LOL

Last edited:
You are referring to his name being on the tang?
Yes. This post has been quoted many times on several forums. It is probably one of the most informative post regarding Filarmonica Generations. Post #11

I dont like talking about sellers prices in public because it's just my opinion but the above price is absolutely insane for a fili13. You can get a NOS 14 for that if you are patient and keep checking. For what it's worth Pinco sold 2 NOS Taurinos 13 at around 310 a piece couple months ago on his Etsy store.
Do you have a link for his store?

Top Bottom