What's new

Filarmonica Question...

Just speaking in general here. On some, uh, optimistically priced razors if you are patient — and nobody bites in the meantime — the price sometimes comes down eventually. On ebay, and elsewhere, I have occasionally had some luck with reasonable offers being accepted. I don't make low-ball offers as I find them insulting.

I have been on a serious hunt for a 13 or 14 for the past few months. I'm not even looking specifically at NOS but something that is in good shape no pitting etc.. below to average hone ware. I really am having a hard time justifying the prices that I am seeing. If I do not get lucky by the end of the year I will be ordering a Koraat 14 2.0. I have heard nothing but great reviews and the pricing seems very fair after shopping the vintage Fillys..

To my surprise after previous skepticism I find after trying a couple razors in the '14' format that I like them a lot. A Koraat 14 2.0 went from Nope to Hope :)
What was the basis for you skepticism, if I may ask? Personally, so far I'm not crazy about a) super thinly ground hollows, and b) razors over 6/8. But I'm willing to keep an open mind. On the other hand, I'm not really interested in paying Fili prices for the sake of education...

Fili14 fan through and through, but at the prices quoted, I would honestly buy a Koraat 14-2.0 and wait for the right Fili to come by.

Bought this one a few months ago for £135. Not in mint condition, but probably never used, definitely never honed.

1628790002794.png

What was the basis for you skepticism, if I may ask?
Aesthetically I don't care for the large cartoony (to me, ymmv) blades I often see on custom razors and, coupled with newbie-level skills and small hands, it just led me to inappropriately generalize to "I don't like big blades." I felt (and probably still feel) 13/16 is the sweet spot for me. But … but …

I eventually picked up a user grade Fili 14 as a sort of completionist exercise (try everything) and found that it was, uh, awesome. Easy to use, the thin grind seemed to harmonize nicely with a bigger blade, great shave, etc.

I still don't much care for big bulky scales (my hands are still small) but for a nicely balanced, non-cartoony razor, the blade size itself no longer an issue. And the 14 geometry turns out to be very darn nice. I like the Fili aesthetic (I know some actively dislike their scales) so I do now wish that I had more and better examples of their full complement of models in both the 14 and 13 sizes. But at a cost I can tolerate :p

Grrrr. This stupid topic is gonna cost me $300. I need to sign up for a Restraint, stat.
I was in touch with April 7 a while back and did ask him how it came about that he had a few hundred razors for sale. He said he started selling after the fascination wore off. And it only took a few hundred razors!

What do you guys think would be an acceptable level of honewear on a first gen 14? I know the dimensions of the blade kind of depend on where you measure from. Is it roughly 7/8" from the hone line on the spine to the edge?

Grrrr. This stupid topic is gonna cost me $300. I need to sign up for a Restraint, stat.

cause those work so well. I've gone years without buying a thing, to include soap. sign up for a restraint and I'm out within weeks or the quarter at the latest. never fails, either a grail razor, or something less meaningful.

@haggis Restraints and other such tactics will not help. Should you somehow come to manage your obsession with straight razors, it will be replaced by some other obsession. So you might as well stick with razors!

My Korat 14 2.0 was about the same price or a little cheaper than what I see Fili 14s going for. I have a Fili 12 and Fili 13, and they are nice but they cost together just over half of what a Fili 14 would set me back right now. The Korat is the only razor I own in that price range, so really that is the main holdback, I got to really want it to pay that much for a razor.

But someday… 😆

Top Bottom