What's new

Field Notes

o_O
Oh. It's a brand name. First I've heard of them.

They have a left-handed note book.
proxy.php

That's gotta count for something.

I don't see it being especially useful for left-handed writers, but it's probably nicer for tategaki (Japanese), Arabic, and Hebrew.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have heard of them in passing but I know nothing of them. I quite like the style. Military or Government looking to me.

I got one with a watch. I don't see a real difference with these or moleskine notebooks in quality or construction.

Thanks all. I have never seen one in person, but see them online and cannot believe the price range. The cool ones are so out in left field with the pricing. Just wondered if there was something special about them to justify them.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I had a colleague who used them in the field. He swore by them. We worked with the mentally ill and gave a report every AM. He was the only person I knew who's handwriting was worse than mine, God bless him.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Who uses these? What is the attraction, and why are they so expensive?

You get a three pack for $10, that's not what I call expensive, I just wish the paper was better. I bought some about six years ago and there was considerable bleeding and feathering so I quickly went back to Rhodia, Clarefontaine, and quality Japanese products.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I have not ever used these notebooks. But from what I can tell on the blogs and whatnot, the brand has a loyal following. Also, they are known for having a lot of variety as far as line ruling, grids, dots, etc. They seem especially popular with the EDC crowd. It could because they have a somewhat more “manly” look and feel then other notebooks. I don’t know how fountain pen friendly they are, but it’s probably fine with a fine nib and/or drier ink. Besides, maybe fountain pens aren’t the best pens for the “field”.

I know that they are really popular but I have never used them. I'm a fan of the pocket notebooks from a company called Write notepads. They use decent and consistent paper that has worked well for my fountain pens.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have not ever used these notebooks. But from what I can tell on the blogs and whatnot, the brand has a loyal following. Also, they are known for having a lot of variety as far as line ruling, grids, dots, etc. They seem especially popular with the EDC crowd. It could because they have a somewhat more “manly” look and feel then other notebooks. I don’t know how fountain pen friendly they are, but it’s probably fine with a fine nib and/or drier ink. Besides, maybe fountain pens aren’t the best pens for the “field”.
I can't imagine using a fountain pen in front of a paranoid schizophrenic, lol.

You get a three pack for $10, that's not what I call expensive, I just wish the paper was better. I bought some about six years ago and there was considerable bleeding and feathering so I quickly went back to Rhodia, Clarefontaine, and quality Japanese products.

No, you are correct. There are some inexpensive ones out there, but I was just referring to the brand overall. I was on the 'bay and saw some of the regular ones which are priced like you said, then some that are like $50.00. But then there is an auction right now for an entire lot of them (120+) and the current bid is $1,025.00.

There are some themed ones I like (space exploration), but I just can't justify $50.00 for a uber small daily journal.

They do limited edition releases to match the seasons, (LE covers, paper materiel, themes) and some of their fans and loyalists have taken them being collectors items. It's no different than any of us with our collections of pens, razors, brushes, pipes, etc. Once they see one they like, or feel they are missing, they are willing to pay a premium for them, or need to complete the set.

As far as quality, I go through a couple each year, but they are more an emergency spare than a first choice. They work well enough with well behaved inks, but there are better options.

Also keep in mind 1025/120+ = still less than ten dollars each. Pricey for a tiny notebook that sells for $10/3 but still not that far off..

They do limited edition releases to match the seasons, (LE covers, paper materiel, themes) and some of their fans and loyalists have taken them being collectors items. It's no different than any of us with our collections of pens, razors, brushes, pipes, etc. Once they see one they like, or feel they are missing, they are willing to pay a premium for them, or need to complete the set.

As far as quality, I go through a couple each year, but they are more an emergency spare than a first choice. They work well enough with well behaved inks, but there are better options.

Also keep in mind 1025/120+ = still less than ten dollars each. Pricey for a tiny notebook that sells for $10/3 but still not that far off..

Ah, so they have a solid following. Now I understand. But in essence, they are no better than Moleskine or anyone else when it comes to usage and practicality. Thanks for the heads up. :)

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
... in essence, they are no better than Moleskine or anyone else when it comes to usage and practicality.

Comparing to Moleskine, whose paper quality has plummeted in the last ten years, doesn't do much for me. I want to use my fountain pens as I've always done and the ghosting makes it nearly impossible to use both sides of the page.

Have you seen the 2019 notebook reviews by Jet pens?
The Best Notebooks for Fountain Pens, 2019 Review - JetPens

Comparing to Moleskine, whose paper quality has plummeted in the last ten years, doesn't do much for me. I want to use my fountain pens as I've always done and the ghosting makes it nearly impossible to use both sides of the page.

Oh, I didn't know that about moleskine. I have not seen the reviews yet, but thanks for the link. I will check this out.

I use iron gall ink and the moleskines are fine with it. They work for me as a pocket backup. I run an A5 as a primary.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I use iron gall ink and the moleskines are fine with it. They work for me as a pocket backup. I run an A5 as a primary.

Yes, iron gall inks are one answer to lousy paper ... I don't always use IG in all my pens, though.
I do enjoy the A7 size and Rhodia graph really fits the bill, plus only $2.50 a pop.

Love those vintage iron gall inks! I'm quickly running out, though.
full

I bid on some yesterday, unfortunately the lot went crazy high ... Vintage Montblanc Fountain Pen Ink 3 Bottles Germany NIB BLUE BLACK 50 ml | eBay

I’ve been using R&H Scabiosa and Diamine’s Registrar’s for about 5 years. Tried Salix but not a fan of the color, or most any blues

Just a note on their recommendations: of course they are going to recommend their house brand pocket notebook (equivalent to Field Notes in size) but consider this:

JetPens Tomoe River 52gsm Kanso Sasshi (3.5x5.5) = $15/2 ($7.5/ea)
Goulet Tomoe River 68gsm Pocket Notebook (3.5x5.5) = $5.50/ea

Focusing on quality and pricepoint for the size relevant to the thread.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Anything with Tomoe River paper is going to cost. I've tried it but can't justify the price myself at 15¢ per sheet!

Top Bottom