What's new

Field Notes

I have not ever used these notebooks. But from what I can tell on the blogs and whatnot, the brand has a loyal following. Also, they are known for having a lot of variety as far as line ruling, grids, dots, etc. They seem especially popular with the EDC crowd. It could because they have a somewhat more “manly” look and feel then other notebooks. I don’t know how fountain pen friendly they are, but it’s probably fine with a fine nib and/or drier ink. Besides, maybe fountain pens aren’t the best pens for the “field”.

I am beginning to agree with this. Maybe these aren't for FP users. I have some good rollerballs I could use for these. LOL!! :)

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I prefer the Field Book from Elan Publishing over Field Notes. Exactly there same size (slightly under A5 or A6).The cover is a bit more substantial and the paper is better, WAY less bleed through and ghosting. Also much cheaper.
Pelikans EF nibs, Visconti 1.5mm stub, Pilot Broad. Looks like the red is the worst (Either Herbin Rouge Grenat or Iroshizuku Yama Budo, not sure)
Field Notes
0302191401_HDR~2.jpg

Back of Field Notes
0302191402_HDR~2.jpg

Field Book
0302191402_HDR~3.jpg

Back of Field Book
0302191403_HDR~2.jpg

Using a drier nib and ink should help.
Hope this helps.

@WarriorMonk
I'm not positive, but pretty sure my Metropolitan Fine nibs do not bleed or ghost on the Field Book. At least not with the inks I've used in them.

You read my mind. My Metropolitan Fine Nib has been my go to for the last few weeks. I am using Noodlers Navajo Turquoise.

I prefer the Field Book from Elan Publishing over Field Notes. Exactly there same size (slightly under A5 or A6).The cover is a bit more substantial and the paper is better, WAY less bleed through and ghosting. Also much cheaper.
Pelikans EF nibs, Visconti 1.5mm stub, Pilot Broad. Looks like the red is the worst (Either Herbin Rouge Grenat or Iroshizuku Yama Budo, not sure)
That's good to know. I've been using the Elan Field Books, too. You get 5 for less than 3 Field Notes. I've got a Popov cover in my cart for them right now and my finger has been hovering over the "complete order" button.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
That's good to know. I've been using the Elan Field Books, too. You get 5 for less than 3 Field Notes. I've got a Popov cover in my cart for them right now and my finger has been hovering over the "complete order" button.
DO IT!!! I have Popovs for both sizes, A5 & A6, expensive, but worth it. You can save a bit by going with the machine sewn models like I did.

DO IT!!! I have Popovs for both sizes, A5 & A6, expensive, but worth it. You can save a bit by going with the machine sewn models like I did.
I had a chance to compare Field Notes to Field Book since the Popov cover came with a Field Notes notebook. I've noticed that fountain pen ink feathers a bit more on the Field Book, but not much.
20190309_190213.jpg

Top Bottom