What's new

FHS-10 Blades - Prime Shipping, Free Returns, Multiple Offers

Feather FHS-10 blades have been controversial because of price, longevity, and concerns about lack of competitive sources. When I got involved with these blades 20 months ago, the only sources I found for US consumers were Oneblade and Maggard.

I stumbled over the FHS-10s on Amazon a few days ago, and took delivery of some Amazon FHS-10s this afternoon. So far as I can tell, the packaging and blades are identical to what I already own, right down to the (annoying) glue spots. As I write this, I have pulled up five Amazon listings from differently named vendors. Four of the offers are Prime with Free Returns. The price per blade varies from 62.7 cents (100 count) to 75 cents (60 count), with 30 and 50 blade offerings at intermediate unit prices. These are still expensive blades, but that said, the low price is less than any I have seen before. The fifth seller (not Prime) ships from Japan, and lists "USPS delayed shipping", due perhaps to the corona virus.

I don't think this means that FHS-10s are now a competitive commodity, like DE blades. So far as I know, Feather (?The Kai Group?) is still the only producer of FHS-10 format blades. They could impose MAP restrictions at any time. I also don't put any stock in Amazon "sold by" names unless it is a seller I know. In fact, the FHS-10 seller names have changed since this morning. They seem to be popping up like dandelions, and except for OneBlade's listing, the same bullet point text is always used. Someone had to provide it.

What I think may be different now is that US distribution may now be controlled by Feather. The multiple offers and direct shipment from Japan make it seem that way to me. I mention all this because some shavers, who believed or knew that OneBlade controlled the US distribution of FHS-10s, were troubled by the idea that the same entity controlling the FHS-10 blade also sold razors that use the FHS-10. Controversy related to the razor per se will no doubt continue, and the blades remain expensive and short-lived for most shavers. But a contentious part of the supply chain controversy may now be blunted.

I get mine from a vendor in the EU, at roughly $49 per 100 for non-EU customers plus whatever the shipping is on my total order, which usually includes some creams and maybe a brush or some other blades. 100 FHS-10s will last me an eternity as I only use them in my Auto Strop razors. I hesitate to name the vendor because I don't want to raise any flags at OneBlade and/or Feather's distribution police - remember what they did regarding Connaught's shipping Feathers to the US.

The KAI blades are, if memory serves, carbon steel and not stainless. I've tried the Feather FHS-5 carbon blades and was not happy with them at all.

Already making a small list for them somewhere this year wish they had all the USA brands like stirling also.
They are not cheap on shipping though.

Thanks folks; I learned something already. Some time back, I assumed that if Connaught didn't ship to the US, then neither did anyone else. So much for that.

FYI: The Feather corporation lists FHS-10 blades as Stainless Steel ("High Stainless") on this page. There is a separate section for Carbon Steel Blades.

Are there any other SE razors that take the FHS-10 blade? I have the OneBlade Core, and I'm on my second blade. I've gotten 4 shaves out of each blade, but 4 seems to be pushing it.

The Kai blades are separate from Feather. They make a version without the lettering cut out and with sometimes called Kai Best blades. Both only come in carbon steel

The blades are the E39-6C and E39-7C

I believe FHS-10s can be used in at least some versions of the (vintage) Valet Auto Strop razors. You should double check that though.

They can be used in all the vintage Auto Strop razors. It is the gem style SE blades that only work in some of the Auto Strop razors and not others.

The FHS-10 blades will also work in a vintage Feather Auto Strop knock off they made I think in the 60s or 70s.

I use the FHS-10s exclusively in my vintage Auto Strop razors, and I typically get 5-7 shaves out of a blade. There's a very comprehensive Auto Strop thread here that I heartily recommend to anyone seeking info on the razor, the blade, and their inventor, who out-maneuvered Gillette and wound up taking them over. A simple thread search should lead you to it.

I don't think Feather has produced that Valet knockoff in decades, and I hope that whatever laboratory/industrial application that keeps these blades in production doesn't go away.

Here is what that Feather razor looks like. Note this is not my razor just pictures from an ebay sale.
feather4.jpgfeather3.jpgfeather2.jpgfeather1.jpg

OneBlade has had them, as well as the razors, on sale several times over the past 4-6 months. I grabbed 3x of their 30 Packs over Thanks Giving weekend, during a 50% Off sale. - You also get a blade bank included in each 30 Pack, which ran $14 total at the time. (I also bought my Genesis during that sale, with Paypal money I'd accumulated).

I've found that if I go ATG First, and then follow up with WTG or XTG, I can get 6 good shaves per blade, if I flip the blade every other shave. - The first few shaves don't need the third pass, if you start ATG, and the OneBlade is easy enough on the face to do so.

The KAI Best blades aren't as smooth as the Feathers, although stropping in my $5.00 Valet seems to help. GEM blades are actually smoother shaving than the Feathers, last longer, and cheaper to boot. - I pull the spline off, and then use my rotary (dremel) tool to enlarge the notches to fit, holding the blade in a vice-grip pliers.

Already making a small list for them somewhere this year wish they had all the USA brands like stirling also.
They are not cheap on shipping though.

I agree that for one item the base shipping at G&C is steep. Adding a few items dramatically improves the deal - I did a cart comparison for three tubes of Lavanda between G&C and two US vendors, plus Amazon, and it wasn't even close.

For me it has to ship to holland so USA prices tend to be worse and above approx 30usd you get import taxes if not from eu.
Stupid enough you have a big chance to import excessive unnoticed from China without hitting that roadbump due to the volume.

Top Bottom