What's new

FedEx is destroying its own brand and maybe more

For the past year (since covid) now I spend time answering emails from customers asking where their order is. These are all USPS orders. Just this week alone, five inquiries - mainly orders that were shipped three weeks ago. USPS tracking indicates "In Transit." In the past eleven years I have never seen such a train wreck as USPS currently is.

Yes, covid has increased the volume shipping USPS since more people are ordering online than ever before. Yes, USPS has had employees out with covid so that is a challenge for them. And yes, if it were a private company they would have adjusted after a month or two. But USPS is a pseudo governmental agency that is lumbering at best. There are great people who work there but the organization has literally been unresponsive. Our experience is that USPS has gotten worse in the past six months, not better.

My understanding is that USPS doesn't fly their own mail around anymore. Fedex flies all of the Priority mail and 1st class mail is now walking (a USPS "reform").

I have never understood why Fed Ex and UPS hand off my packages to the post office when their trucks drive by my house every...single...day.

I can beat that.

I once had two packages delivered by FedEx. They came on two separate trucks even though they left the same hub. One van pulled out and the next one pulled in.

UPS will some times let you live track the truck. The last time he drove right in front of my house 4 times before he stopped. I understand that packages have different priorities, but all that back tracking must be costing a lot in fuel and time.

I can beat that.

I once had two packages delivered by FedEx. They came on two separate trucks even though they left the same hub. One van pulled out and the next one pulled in.

UPS will some times let you live track the truck. The last time he drove right in front of my house 4 times before he stopped. I understand that packages have different priorities, but all that back tracking must be costing a lot in fuel and time.

I’ve had the same UPS driver for over 10 years for both work and home, and in that time I’ve gotten to learn a little bit about how stuff is done. What happened to you is that the truck was so full they had to offload other stuff first before they even got to your package. In a pre COVID world, trucks were usually (not always) loaded in an order that made sense for the route. Now many trucks are packed floor to ceiling, and the big stuff in the way has to get offloaded before they can get to the normal route.

Now many trucks are packed floor to ceiling, and the big stuff in the way has to get offloaded before they can get to the normal route.

That's completely believable. When I lived in the country we had the same driver for years and he came at the same relative time. One morning he stopped bright and early hours before his normal time. I had ordered a sleep number bed and he wanted that package off first so he could move around inside the truck.

Nothing shows FedEx’s low opinion of their customers if one simply makes a visit to one of their stores to drop something off. I dread a return label with FedEx printed on it! Rude employees, long lines, filthy carpet, you name it.
I'm lucky enough to pass a UPS hub three times a week. Those folks are fast and friendly. For anything FedEx I just go to Walgreens and have my packages sent there if I'm not home.

Nothing shows FedEx’s low opinion of their customers if one simply makes a visit to one of their stores to drop something off. I dread a return label with FedEx printed on it! Rude employees, long lines, filthy carpet, you name it.

our local fedex center and outlets are all neat, clean and the staff are courteous!

what area are you in?

For the past year (since covid) now I spend time answering emails from customers asking where their order is. These are all USPS orders. Just this week alone, five inquiries - mainly orders that were shipped three weeks ago. USPS tracking indicates "In Transit." In the past eleven years I have never seen such a train wreck as USPS currently is.

Yes, covid has increased the volume shipping USPS since more people are ordering online than ever before. Yes, USPS has had employees out with covid so that is a challenge for them. And yes, if it were a private company they would have adjusted after a month or two. But USPS is a pseudo governmental agency that is lumbering at best. There are great people who work there but the organization has literally been unresponsive. Our experience is that USPS has gotten worse in the past six months, not better.
I've placed two orders with you and had no problems either time. My last order with you was placed on a Monday, I received my package; the tracking information said it was picked up on Tuesday; I received it on Thursday. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who didn't have any problems.

I have had delivery problems with Amazon, though. Amazon has lost packages, delayed packages, and damaged my purchases with poor packaging. IIRC, Amazon relied on their own shipping services when these issues occurred.

I've have a shavemac brush still pending delivery that sat in Germany for 2 weeks waiting for a ride to the US. Now it's been sitting in customs for the last 5 days with no answer as to when it will be released and on a truck. So far it's been about twice as long as the last shavemac I purchased about 6 months ago.
Pretty frustrating to be sure, it is interesting to see I'm not the only schmuck sitting here whistling in the wind.

And Amazon make the vendor pay for it
I've placed two orders with you and had no problems either time. My last order with you was placed on a Monday, I received my package; the tracking information said it was picked up on Tuesday; I received it on Thursday. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who didn't have any problems.

I have had delivery problems with Amazon, though. Amazon has lost packages, delayed packages, and damaged my purchases with poor packaging. IIRC, Amazon relied on their own shipping services when these issues occurred.

I used to have pretty good luck with all of them. Lately, it has been Amazon's own delivery service that has been bad. Two of the last three deliveries to me have shown as being delivered but never actually arrived. I assume there is a bad apple driver, but who knows. UPS, USPS, and FedEx seem fine, still, although FedEx ground is usually the slowest.

Fedex now has been HORRIBLE with my packages. Paid 2D took 10 days, was kept 3d 3hr from home to be sent to the other side of the US.....I had to contact customer support. When it finally came, it was day 10 and the morons left it somewhere else..... at night I went for a walk in my hood and found it elsewhere.
Now have one more, should have come yesterday.....no sign....stuck again in the hub 3hrs away.....wonder if it will wonder around and then be left in another house. Their CS is inexistent......

I think so far , only UPS has been OK'ish.
Fedex just sunk below DHL which is worthless.

I used to have pretty good luck with all of them. Lately, it has been Amazon's own delivery service that has been bad. Two of the last three deliveries to me have shown as being delivered but never actually arrived. I assume there is a bad apple driver, but who knows. UPS, USPS, and FedEx seem fine, still, although FedEx ground is usually the slowest.
I remember a while back Amazon told their vendors not to use Fed EX ground.

proxy.php

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The entire shipping model all of these companies use got turned upside down last year with COVID and the lock downs. Overloaded routes, trucks and drivers usually result in more lost packages.

Hopefully, shipping will normalize as the world opens back up.

Be interesting to see how it goes. :cool:

linty1

My wallet cries.
This talk makes me realize places that offer flat rate shipping, or free shipping, either make it up in pricing (which doesn't -seem- true? otherwise I would be buying from another vendor) or they just take it in the shorts and chalk it up to the price of doing business. Maybe its just a Canada thing, but shipping is pricey.

Top Bottom