What's new

Feathers

I got to finally try some Feathers today. You gents have really had me scared of them, so I never bothered to try any until now. I'm not sure if they will always work for me, or not, but today, they performed very well.

Set up: I haven't shaved since Wednesday, so my rapid growth heavy beard was...let's just say, I looked like I had been stranded for a while. I used the Feather in my Old Type knock, which is an open comb razor. One pass, smooth, comfortable and whisking away the tough beard like a hot knife thru butter! I got a BBS shave in only 2 passes - 1 WTG, 1 XTG. I have never had a BBS shave by going XTG on the 2nd pass, it always requires an ATG pass, normally on a 3rd pass.

Needless to say, I was very impressed. I also was able to trim down on some of the longer hairs on my Van Dyke. No knicks, cuts, or burns. Smooth.

Now, the question is: do Feathers only work in this particular razor for me? And/or: do Feathers only work for me when I have not shaved in a day or two or three? We'll see.

I got to finally try some Feathers today. You gents have really had me scared of them, so I never bothered to try any until now. I'm not sure if they will always work for me, or not, but today, they performed very well.

Set up: I haven't shaved since Wednesday, so my rapid growth heavy beard was...let's just say, I looked like I had been stranded for a while. I used the Feather in my Old Type knock, which is an open comb razor. One pass, smooth, comfortable and whisking away the tough beard like a hot knife thru butter! I got a BBS shave in only 2 passes - 1 WTG, 1 XTG. I have never had a BBS shave by going XTG on the 2nd pass, it always requires an ATG pass, normally on a 3rd pass.

Needless to say, I was very impressed. I also was able to trim down on some of the longer hairs on my Van Dyke. No knicks, cuts, or burns. Smooth.

Now, the question is: do Feathers only work in this particular razor for me? And/or: do Feathers only work for me when I have not shaved in a day or two or three? We'll see.

Optimal blade exposure for all the other variables involved, perhaps.

It may well be the closest shave of your life. :eek: Just DO NOT use alum or AS afterwards. Ouchies!

:lol::lol::lol: That was the thing that surprised me this morning. I used my usual witchhazel, followed my Alum, with an AS finish, and received no burn.

Then it won't help at all to tell you, I've used them in several different razors and liked them in every one of them. :biggrin:

I will be performing a series of tests much like I did for the Wal-Mart Wilkinsons. I am curious to see how long they last and how well they will perform in my other razors. I may have a new favorite blade.

I just wondered since you could have fooled us too. A bit of Pavlov from my side here: I automatically assume threads started by you are at least semi-Clownhouse material.

:lol::lol::lol: No need to apologize, everyone does, including the mods! :lol::lol::lol:

For some reason I've used feathers only since starting DE shaving. They work OK in my progress. I just received a 50 blade sample pack on friday though so I've a bit of work ahead of me :p

I'm looking forward to trying the feathers in my fatboy when ever it gets delivered : /

Ok, Ray. I may have to go back and give feather's another try. I gave them a go very early into shaving and they were far too much for me and I settled on Astra SPs, I still have a pack kicking around in the bottom of my drawer so when it's time to swap out it may get another chance.

Ok, Ray. I may have to go back and give feather's another try. I gave them a go very early into shaving and they were far too much for me and I settled on Astra SPs, I still have a pack kicking around in the bottom of my drawer so when it's time to swap out it may get another chance.

I think it was definitely a good idea on my part to not try them until now. I have been DE shaving for nearly 18 months, so that has given me time to learn to properly shave in this fashion and perfect my technique. I am quite certain I would have destroyed my face had I used the Feathers last year this time.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The hype surrounding feathers is kind of a disservice to folks.
Yes, they are sharp, but it's not like they have a mind of their own and will grab your face.
I love reading posts like this where the fear is debunked by people.
+1 on trying them again if you had an early failure with them, could have been "start-up" issues.
They are a great blade, though I usually find the first shave with them a little harsh.

Yes, they are sharp, but it's not like they have a mind of their own and will grab your face.
+1 on trying them again if you had an early failure with them, could have been "start-up" issues.
They are a great blade, though I usually find the first shave with them a little harsh.

I was wondering how long it would take a mod to show up on one of my shaving threads today. :lol::lol::lol:

I do wonder if I will find 1st shave of a new blade harsh on a normal growth. Maybe not, we will see.

I think it was definitely a good idea on my part to not try them until now. I have been DE shaving for nearly 18 months, so that has given me time to learn to properly shave in this fashion and perfect my technique. I am quite certain I would have destroyed my face had I used the Feathers last year this time.

I just find it amazing that an 18-month-old is shaving. :blink: Not related to the Geico Caveman by any chance, are you, Ray? :laugh: Or, maybe you're really Garth, Jr.? :eek:

Top Bottom