What's new

Feathers vs Persona Blue blades

At least for me, feathers are indeed sharper and I would say even smoother than lab blues. Feathers are my favorite blade and once I run out of everything else, I may not even try anything else. Just a lovely blade

Meds & Reds are my favorites. Close enough in sharpness to Feathers for me. Nice and smooth. Maybe a little longer lasting, too.

I just finished my second shave with the Feathers. It was good. However, my face prefers the Crystals. I get a more consistant shave. Forgive my spelling.

I just finished my second shave with the Feathers. It was good. However, my face prefers the Crystals. I get a more consistant shave. Forgive my spelling. To date the best blade I have used on my face is the Crystal.

I like the Crystals and Personna Blues also. They are a great value and give me a great shave but the Feathers shave closer than anything I have tried.

I just shaved with a Feather for the first time (in a Merkur 34C). Due to its reputation I focused on technique and got an irritation free shave. I missed a couple spots though due to using the lightest touch possible. Any failures in achieving BBS were on my part, not the blade. It's a damn fine blade. I have been shaving with the Blues as well and they are great but quite different for me. My beard is made out of a cross of copper wire and gorilla hair so I need all the sharp I can wield.

I bought a 6 month supply of feather blades and its almost time to buy some replacements.
The Persona blues are about half the price of feathers, very tempted to buy a 100 blades, but would hate to buy 100 blades to find out the shave is very inferior. I'm using a EJ DE89. Whats the verdict on the persona blues? inferior to feathers? the persona reds seem to be highly regarded here.
They aren't inferior, just different. The Personnas are not as sharp as Feathers by any means, but they are more forgiving and a touch smoother, if that makes any sense. I keep a stock of each, as there are times when I want a very sharp blades and other times when I want to use a blade that might be a little more forgiving (say, with an more aggressive razor).

If it were me I would order and use both. I'd also have some Astras and Gillette Blues on hand as well. You can never own too many blades.

I agree completely with stubblefield, having used both blades quite a bit. The feathers are sharper, but the Personna Blues are sharp enough to get the job done, just as smooth or smoother than feathers, and more forgiving for those mornings when you're not quite awake yet. Another plus to the Blues is the packaging. I like the 100 pack, would much rather use that then have dozens of 5 or 10 count packs floating around in my drawer.

This morning's shave with the Feather (2nd shave with this blade) was sheer perfection. Of course it was Saturday. I had already had my 2nd cup of coffee and was wide awake. I agree that the "comfort coated" Persona blues might be a better choice on those days when I'm up at five and in a rush to get to a meeting.

I've recently used both for the first time. I liked both but felt the Personna to be smoother. Or maybe more forgiving. Both were excellent though.

I've only been DE shaving for about three months, so my opinion won't carry the weight of many on here. But I've used Feathers, Gillette 7 O'Clock Blacks and the Personna Blues. I really like the Personna's a lot...bought a hundred pack, and for a while anyway I don't see the need to even think about another kind of blade. I use the same razor as the OP.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I use both blades and like them a lot. The feathers are not as comfortable as the Persona so I just give them a pass with a cork. IMO It just ever so slightly increases the comfort.

I have changed my favorite blades from the Gillette Silver Blue to the Personna Blue.
I bought 100 of each and find the GSB does not give me a smooth shave, they seem to tug at my beard. The Personna blue glides through and gives me a smooth shave.

Top Bottom