8 Smoothness
8 Longevity
8 VFM

Personna Red
7 Sharpness
10 Smoothness
9 Longevity
10 VFM

Don't think much of Lab Blue blades which are fairly smooth but inconsistent blades and won't buy again. Not very sharp and no where near the sharpness of Feather blade to which only the Polsilver SI comes close (not tried Kai blades).

I recently got 100 of the Personna Blues as a result of reading this thread and for $12usd delivered, why not. Used 2 of them so far, 4-5 shaves per blade in a Rocket HD and a Slim Adjustable and am actually quite disappointed with them. I find them sharp but not smooth or long lasting. Maybe I will try them again at a later date in another razor before passing final judgement.

Personna Blues are much loved on this forum but I've had truly inconsistent results and I suspect it is because of poor quality control. However, when I did have a satisfying shave with a Personna it was still NOT in the same class of sharpness as the Feather. Everyone is different but for ME those blades are on different planets.

I have not found a sharper blade than the Feather but I don't use the Feather as my primary blade. It requires a level of delicacy that I usually don't have the patience for. If I flail away with a Feather like I normally do with a Super Iridium or GSB, I'll be repairing my face with Styptic and Neosporin for several days. But when I'm ultra delicate, slow & patient, there is nothing that compares to the Feather. I'll never abandon them entirely.

Are these the Personna "Lab" blues that everyone is always recommending?
$personna.jpg

Yes...and that is the pic of the new packaging. The old packaging says "25% sharper...." but they have the same blade.

Thanks. I actually picked up 10 at the local store today to try out. I keep hearing blue, red, lab, med, israeli, and whatever else and wanted to make sure I had the correct ones in mind.

Pretty much the same thing here, actually. The Personna Lab blades are in my top four, with Gillette Black in number one. Sadly, I can't use a Black in my FaTip Grande until I master my technique, which I'm working on. Feather and Gillette Silver Blue are my other two. The Silver Blue used to be my most reached for blade and the one by which all others were judged, and then I used my first Black blade. Oddly though, I seem to be able to use a Lab in all of my razors without issue and little to no razor burn.

The Personnas (in either flavor) are fine but nowhere near a sharp as the Feather. You can pick Feathers up off of eBay for 27 bucks for 100, so there is no cost savings when you buy the Personna Hospital blades. The labs are a bit cheaper, but I don't think they are that sharp--for an inexpensive sharp blade it is hard to fault Astras.

I have used both kinds of the PErsonnas and could never tell any difference.

Just thought I'd post this since there has been some confusion (in the past) about Personna Lab blades. The box on the left is the new packaging the box on the right is the old style packaging. These two boxes carry the same Lab blades no differences between both.

$Personna Labs.jpg

People may call me crazy but I find Personna Labs maybe just a hair sharper than Feathers. The labs I'm talking about were bought last year and say "25% sharper" on the box. I don't think they were kidding. Bought some more this year in the new box and they seem the same. The ones made before the "25% sharper" box didn't feel nearly as sharp but I think they give Feather a run for their money now. I've been stocking up on them when the price drops down around $12/100. Got about 1000 of them now and might get some more before they decide to change them again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom