What's new

Feather vs Astra vs Bic

Feather vs Astra vs Bic

• Total voters
These three seem particularly highly rated so I wanted to face them off against each other!

What do we think? :)

I mean, of course blades have pros and cons but... in terms of your personal overall preference :)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Feather is my longest lasting blade at 34 shaves. Astra isn't too far behind at 26 shaves. I haven't tried the Bic.

Feather does smooth out nicely for me, but those initial few shaves need to be done with more caution than the Astra. As such the Astra is an easier shave, and it's also a fair amount cheaper.

I voted Astra, but Feathers are still in my top five.

I think we have no idea what will work for you.

BIC for me.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

It's really not to judge what will work for me. I've already ordered a small pack of all 3 from eBay, lol.

I just get curious about what other people like, I guess!

It's really not to judge what will work for me. I've already ordered a small pack of all 3 from eBay, lol.

I just get curious about what other people like, I guess!
Which Astra? There's SP and SS. I prefer SS. SP is more popular and currently a lot cheaper.

Which Astra? There's SP and SS. I prefer SS. SP is more popular and currently a lot cheaper.

Hm, they say Superior Platinum on the eBay listing :)

So I guess that makes them SP!

I don't think I knew that there were 2 when I bought them. Or if I did then I just went for these because they had so many sales and I figured I'd play it safe and go for the most popular one I could see on eBay!

For my tough beard and sensitive skin, BIC Chrome Platinum wins this one by a wide margin.

Feather blades are quite sharp on the first shave, but quickly deteriorate. I cannot even make it through the third shave before it becomes too rough for my face. I get 3-4 good shaves from most other blades.

I like Astra Superior Stainless blades, they are both sharp and smooth. I like them nearly as well as BICs.

After trying Astra SP blades about 20 times from a variety of sources, I have yet to get a close, comfortable shave using them in any razor I own. I finally gave up on them. They are not sharp enough for my beard; they are not smooth enough for my face. I could use them if they were the only blade available, but I would not enjoy the shaves. For those whose beard is not as tough as mine and whose face in not as sensitive as mine, they may work well, but they are not for me.

Definitely Feather for me. I find the Astra just a tad more harsh. By that I mean I get little pinprick sensations when I use it sometimes, similar to Nacet and Permasharp. Feather seems to have a finer edge that, yes, does dull more quickly, but feels much smoother. If I do happen to get a nick with Feather, they're tiny and clot almost immediately.

I don't push blades beyond two shaves. With my history of acquisition disorder, it seems silly to quibble about the cost of a single blade!

I only have tried Astras (both SP and SS) and find I like the SP better. Although they feel harsh in mild razors for me.

What puts Astra SP first on my list is the fact that it never feels rough to me, even after 15 or so shaves. It just gets less effective.

Always amazed at the high YMMV quotient of blades.

Tried a couple BICs. Poor shavers for me, quickly got even worse. Still have a couple in the sampler tuck.

Astra SP - very reliable, but I generally prefer sharper to smoother. I bought 100.

Feather - very sharp for 2, maybe 3 shaves. Too pricy, but I can shave for a week with one. Got my vote above. I bought 100.

But, my main blades are Rapira Platinum Lux, Supermax Blue Diamond Platinum, and Voskhod. It would probably be fairly easy to find three others I liked as well, but probably at more than 10¢\blade. I expect at least a week’s shaving out of any of these blades.

Whoa Bics are sharp!! haha :)

I tried one a moment ago and... I could really feel that blade! And then I switched back to my usual Wilkinson Sword blades and immediately I found it much smoother as I shaved and less like I might cut myself the second I touched the razor to my face!

I did hear that they are particularly sharp in a video I watched - in the same kind of tier as the Feathers?

I do have some Astras and Feathers in the mail too so... when I feel brave I'll try the Feathers but I expect them to not work for me either. However apparently the Astras are more medium sharpness so I should find them OK?

But hey maybe I'll find that the WS ones are still better for me in the end - who knows!

It is looking like I prefer medium sharpness blades though like the Astra and WS :)

Top Bottom