What's new

Feather Super Razor - review

Hi all,

Just posting my initial thoughts on the new Feather SR, for anyone interested.

I got this razor from a Japan auction site after suffering severe 'new kit acquisition syndrome' from the SR thread here on B&B. I ordered the kami, but the folding version turned up. Disappointed, but thought I'd give it a few shaves and see how I felt about it. I've been offered a partial refund due to getting the incorrect item, and it wasn't hugely expensive.

First two shaves were not good. I used a new Feather Pro Super, and this is a spicy blade on it's first couple of outings anyway. I nearly always get a nick or two on the first two shaves with a new blade. Regardless I persisted and have been pleasantly surprised.

Firstly this razor is very positive. By that I mean it is exceptionally keen to go to work, and will cut skin and hair more easily than the SS. Secondly, I've found that angle is very simple - just keep the blade exactly flat to the skin, & use a smidge of inward pressure. If you increase angle, go very light indeed.

The new jimps are grippy, and all in all it's quite comfortable in the hand for head-shaving. Not as ergonomic as a kami of course (they're designed specifically for head shaving after all), but a pleasure to use once you get used to it.

I've had some of my best shaves ever since modifying my angle. Skin is really comfortable, and the shave is very smooth. I've kept my other variables the same to ensure some kind of baseline.

Final thoughts - it's an upgrade over the SS in terms of the quality of shave that's achievable, but this comes at the expense of a razor that will nick you badly if you don't watch it carefully. More so IMO than the SS. Not a razor I'd recommend to absolute beginners in straight razor shaving, whereas the SS would be a go-to recommendation. I will keep it for a little while I think, as I mull over economic ways to get my hands on a Feather SR kami. The Japan auction site was not reliable!

thx for the post.

where would I buy the feather sr?

even the Feather site itself does not mention it yet.

They're up on eBay for around £130.00, from Japan. As I say I used a Japan auction site. The price was very reasonable compared to eBay, only paid around £95.00 after shipping & taxes, but I did receive the incorrect item.

If you want the folding version PM me, I'd be happy to sell you mine at cost. It's in very good condition with the box. I want the kami!

Update on this for anyone interested in the new SR...

I've persisted with the folding version of this razor, and am glad I did.

Using the same technique as the AC SS is not fruitful unless you're out for your own blood. The pressure required to bring the lip into play on the SS is definitely not needed. So I've needed to do a bit of unlearning movement patterns. To me the AC SR feels just like a straight, only an exceptionally sharp one - far less forgiving.

Realising I could get a BBS shave using the lightest possible pressure was an epiphany. The last two shaves have been a kind of low-key joy - really satisfying and absorbing.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Update on this for anyone interested in the new SR...

I was, and am still, on the fence about the SR. Yeah, I'd like one -- but that's not a plea for one of my shaving brothers to talk me into it. :) I have an SS clone and a Kai clone along with an actual Kasho Woody. I am pursuing some other shaves just now but will return to the barber straights in a while.

I was confused about the handle material options for the SR -- I'd like another wood one but that's not a deal-breaker. What are the compositions and colours that are available? I recall seeing somethng about "leather" and assumed it was referring to a rubbery coating, which to me would be a deal-breaker. Can anyone offer some insight?

O.H.

In another forum, someone said that the handle of the SR is silicone, and it can be cleaned by boiling the razor in water ... or pouring boiling water over it. Don't quote me. This was in response to a comment I made about the handle looking like it would collect a lot of gunk over time.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I recall seeing somethng about "leather" and assumed it was referring to a rubbery coating, which to me would be a deal-breaker.

Yesterday I ordered the Feather AC SR kamisori from Amazon Japan. There is some unexpected weirdness with Japanese <=> English translation. I was not able to find anything using keywords in the "search using english" feature. As far as I can tell the word "leather" is being used instead of "resin scales".

@Old Hippie sorry mate, I have little info here. I wasn't even sure when ordering whether the ACSR kami would have a rubberised or plastic handle. Like @Zhang Doe I have a feeling the Kami handle will be silicone. Turns out mine has a folding one :confused1

The folding handle seems a very similar plastic to the AC SS if that's any help, although the styling differs. I believe the colour options are the same as the kami: black, pink, light blue.

@duke4423 thank you :)

Yesterday I ordered the Feather AC SR kamisori from Amazon Japan. There is some unexpected weirdness with Japanese <=> English translation. I was not able to find anything using keywords in the "search using english" feature. As far as I can tell the word "leather" is being used instead of "resin scales".

Would you please update when you receive it? Thanks!

@Old Hippie sorry mate, I have little info here. I wasn't even sure when ordering whether the ACSR kami would have a rubberised or plastic handle. Like @Zhang Doe I have a feeling the Kami handle will be silicone. Turns out mine has a folding one :confused1

The folding handle seems a very similar plastic to the AC SS if that's any help, although the styling differs. I believe the colour options are the same as the kami: black, pink, light blue.

@duke4423 thank you :)
SS is also available in a fantastic lime green. One of my favorite razors.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Would you please update when you receive it? Thanks!

Absolutely!

I ordered from amazon.co.jp. The razor arrive yesterday, which was earlier than expected. Ordered 7/4. Expected 7/13. Arrived 7/9. Packaging was minimal, cardbard envelope. Total price $105 USD ($90 item + 15 shipping). Dont bother trying to use the "search using english keywords" feature its absolutely useless. There is a link posted earlier in this thread, use that to find the western style, and if you dont want that one then scroll down to the "similar items" and you should be able to find the kamisori version and the western in other colored handles.

I bought the SR kamisori because I can't seem to achive a close shave using the SS. I have the western style SS with the green resin scales. I hate the scales. The scales are always getting in my way and I spent way too much time re-adjusting them. A few times I have considered snapping them off and using it as if it were a kamisori. The shank on the SS is too small too smooth and the jimping sucks, making it difficult for me to grip. I'm actually NOT looking for something "easier" to use, I understand it takes time to develop good techniqe, but for me shaving with the SS seems like using a tool that is out of adjustment, not necessarily broken, just something not quite right with it.

My shave with the SR:

A few seconds into my first shave with the SR and I decided I would sell the SS and keep the SR. For me the SR is easier to use and more efficient. I was actually proud of the few little weepers I got with the SR, because unlike the SS, the SR actually responds to a little pressure. The kamisori hande is absolutely wonderful. It doesn't get in the way and its totally usable with wet hands. The SR kamisori with wet hands is more grippy than the SS western with dry hands. Now that I own both, I have no idea why the western style is so popular.

Last night's shave with the SR was good. I was not intentionally trying to achieve a close shave, just testing the waters and getting a feel for the new razor. It was a very easy shave, not super close, but everything seemed natural and intuitive. No nicks, no cuts, just a few little weepers, and no alum burn.

My only complaint with the SR is it doesn't come with a cover. So at the moment I'm putting the blade in "backwards" and putting the razor in its box for storage between shaves.

My shave with the SS (for comparison):

The best shave I've ever achieved with the SS took a lot of skin stretching and very close attention to what I was doing because in order for me to get a close shave with it, I apply what I would consider a rediculous amount of pressure. And still its not close enough. The SS seems to eat blades like candy, a blade typically lasts me 2-4 shaves, then it feels tuggy like a Derby Extra. I've pushed it to 10 shaves and it wont cut through the whiskers on my chin, using short micro buffing strokes, maybe 100, and there is still stubble. That's very unexpected for me, because the AC blades last me approx 20 shaves in the Hawk V3. I have no idea why there is such a difference.

In a nutshell:

IMO, the SR is both easier and more efficient than the SS. Its so much more intuitive to use. The kamisori handle is better than the scales. One shave in and I can already tell the SR will work much better for me. I will be selling my SS very soon...

Last edited:
My only complaint with the SR is it doesn't come with a cover. So at the moment I'm putting the blade in "backwards" and putting the razor in its box for storage between shaves.
Here's a pic of my DX in its 3D Printed safety cover, by FrugalShave on Etsy:
DX-in-Safety-Cover_2021-07-13.jpg

Not exactly elegant, but extremely practical.

Eben Stone

Staff member
The translucent plastic case that is sold separately for the head is pretty cheap and probably better for storage, but when using it for a week or two at a time, I like that your design allows it to breath and stand nicely for display.

Unfortunately, the reviews of the Feather kamisori cover on amazon do not inspire any confidence. I'm definately looking for something durable that will last a few years.

Unfortunately, the reviews of the Feather kamisori cover on amazon do not inspire any confidence. I'm definately looking for something durable that will last a few years.

I've also been looking for a better storage/travel solution and I'm thinking that the best solution might be just to grab a container for the blade, maybe a pill container with the separators filled down would do the trick. The holder itself should be easy enough to store as long as there isn't any blade in it.

Lots of reviews of the Feather NC-500, which is designed for the Feather SS. The reviews of the Feather NC-300, designed for the Feather DX, are fewer, but none mention durability issues. The latter, though is not available. Not many options, unfortunately.

Absolutely!

I ordered from amazon.co.jp. The razor arrive yesterday, which was earlier than expected. Ordered 7/4. Expected 7/13. Arrived 7/9. Packaging was minimal, cardbard envelope. Total price $105 USD ($90 item + 15 shipping). Dont bother trying to use the "search using english keywords" feature its absolutely useless. There is a link posted earlier in this thread, use that to find the western style, and if you dont want that one then scroll down to the "similar items" and you should be able to find the kamisori version and the western in other colored handles.

I bought the SR kamisori because I can't seem to achive a close shave using the SS. I have the western style SS with the green resin scales. I hate the scales. The scales are always getting in my way and I spent way too much time re-adjusting them. A few times I have considered snapping them off and using it as if it were a kamisori. The shank on the SS is too small too smooth and the jimping sucks, making it difficult for me to grip. I'm actually NOT looking for something "easier" to use, I understand it takes time to develop good techniqe, but for me shaving with the SS seems like using a tool that is out of adjustment, not necessarily broken, just something not quite right with it.

My shave with the SR:

A few seconds into my first shave with the SR and I decided I would sell the SS and keep the SR. For me the SR is easier to use and more efficient. I was actually proud of the few little weepers I got with the SR, because unlike the SS, the SR actually responds to a little pressure. The kamisori hande is absolutely wonderful. It doesn't get in the way and its totally usable with wet hands. The SR kamisori with wet hands is more grippy than the SS western with dry hands. Now that I own both, I have no idea why the western style is so popular.

Last night's shave with the SR was good. I was not intentionally trying to achieve a close shave, just testing the waters and getting a feel for the new razor. It was a very easy shave, not super close, but everything seemed natural and intuitive. No nicks, no cuts, just a few little weepers, and no alum burn.

My shave with the SS (for comparison):

The best shave I've ever achieved with the SS took a lot of skin stretching and very close attention to what I was doing because in order for me to get a close shave with it, I apply what I would consider a rediculous amount of pressure. And still its not close enough. The SS seems to eat blades like candy, a blade typically lasts me 2-4 shaves, then it feels tuggy like a Derby Extra. I've pushed it to 10 shaves and it wont cut through the whiskers on my chin, using short micro buffing strokes, maybe 100, and there is still stubble. That's very unexpected for me, because the AC blades last me approx 20 shaves in the Hawk V3. I have no idea why there is such a difference.

In a nutshell:

IMO, the SR is both easier and more efficient than the SS. Its so much more intuitive to use. The kamisori handle is better than the scales. One shave in and I can already tell the SR will work much better for me. I will be selling my SS very soon...

Great insights, thanks for the update.

I put a new Pro blade in my AC SR this morning, thinking I'd try a blade with less exposure than the normal Pro Supers. I think this was a mistake, took a chunk out of my scalp that needed styptic pencil, the alum block wasn't enough...

Does anyone have any tips on how to 'soften' the edge of a new Feather AC blade? Seems first time out I always get cut. Next few shaves are bloodless.

Anyway really glad you're enjoying your new razor.

@MurderousCrow - nice review of the new SR; my initial thoughts after three shaves are similar. It's a nice piece. Enjoy your shaves!

I, like @Eben Stone, ordered mine from Amazon Japan and received it in a week in Reno, NV. Overall price was $104 including shipping for the black scaled folding version. @Eben Stone glad to hear you like yours!

Excellent! I'm set on the kami now, just need to find one at a reasonable price - I'll be taking a look on amazon japan again with the link / advice from @Eben Stone.

Top Bottom