What's new

Feather Super Razor - review

Great insights, thanks for the update.

I put a new Pro blade in my AC SR this morning, thinking I'd try a blade with less exposure than the normal Pro Supers. I think this was a mistake, took a chunk out of my scalp that needed styptic pencil, the alum block wasn't enough...

Does anyone have any tips on how to 'soften' the edge of a new Feather AC blade? Seems first time out I always get cut. Next few shaves are bloodless.

Anyway really glad you're enjoying your new razor.

The normal advice for softening a new blade is to cork it. Take a piece of cork and gently draw the blade through to remove some of the edge as well as any burs, which shouldn't be an issue with Feather blades.

I have the Feather SS and DX so when I saw the shaving video I had to have one. Should arrive in a couple of days. My complaint with the SS is the angle and pressure. The DX is like a straight razor.

I just received my new SR. I have the Feather SS and DX in folding and Kamisori. I am not a big fan of the SS coming from straight razors I didn't like the weight or the constant trying to find the right angle. The DX is a very good razor, not very forgiving. After shaving with Feather Pro and Kai mild blades in the SR I feel Feather got it right. I would say the SR is closer to the DX but more forgiving. You don't have to fight to find the right angle like the SS. Gives an exception shave with both blades. I will now put my SS razors up for sale.

The reason the western style razors are popular is that people who have used straights are used to having scales. Also, with a folding razor, you don't have to buy something to cover the blade.... that's the purpose of the scales to begin with.
I love the SS and am surprised to hear so many complaints about it. For me the Kai Kasho is closer to a real straight because the bump is smaller than the one on the SS. I have never tried the DX, but have heard from many that it is too unforgiving.

The reason the western style razors are popular is that people who have used straights are used to having scales. Also, with a folding razor, you don't have to buy something to cover the blade.... that's the purpose of the scales to begin with.
I love the SS and am surprised to hear so many complaints about it. For me the Kai Kasho is closer to a real straight because the bump is smaller than the one on the SS. I have never tried the DX, but have heard from many that it is too unforgiving.
The SR is the perfect, right between the SS and DX. Just enough lip to make it forgiving but not too much to take away from the shave.

The DX clone I have is similar to a typical DE shavette, like the various Parker shavettes, thus they are pretty unforgiving, but I don't find these to be particularly difficult to use, however, the margin of error is definitely smaller and it's a lot easier to get cut.

The SR is the perfect, right between the SS and DX. Just enough lip to make it forgiving but not too much to take away from the shave.
So maybe the SR is very similar to the Kai Luffy or the Kai Kasho or the slightly more aggressive Mythus, which is a clone of the Luffy. I really like the Kai razors and the Mythus.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
So maybe the SR is very similar to the Kai Luffy or the Kai Kasho or the slightly more aggressive Mythus, which is a clone of the Luffy. I really like the Kai razors and the Mythus.

I have a Kasho Woody, along with a "Sally SS" and one of the Kai clones. I need to spend more time with them, but at the moment I'm still wrapped up in some long-term slant reviews. I can see the end of that particular tunnel for the year, however. Another month or so and I'll have some free time.

I'd been thinking about an SR in the western style, but all my barber straights are western style. I use some rather unorthodox holds to shave my head with them sometimes. I figure the Kasho is probably pretty close to the SR, but I may still pop for a kamisori style SR, as I have not yet tried that style and hear it may be more intuitive for head shaving.

O.H.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
As far as I can tell the word "leather" is being used instead of "resin scales".

Update. Mine's on the way. [shrug]

I paid for a black kamisori style SR. We'll see what arrives in a week and a half. :)

I decided to do it because who doesn't like a new razor once in a while? I chose kamisori style -- what Amazon Japan calls "Japanese" style -- because I don't have a razor in that style yet, and as a head shaver I frequently end up holding a western-style barber straight like a kamisori, anyway.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten. No, wait...that's George Carlin. I mean, if you can't beat them, join them. :)

I also noted that the Japanese seem to apply the word "leather" to razors to indicate a smooth finish. I searched the site and see both metal razors and ones with silicone covered handles referred to as "leather." Opens up some new options for my next pair of leather pants, I'll say that!

O.H.

Eben Stone

Staff member
:thumbup1: Let's see a pic of your SR sitting in it, when you receive it, please (I love pics). :biggrin:

Finally got the cover for my AC SR. It was way too small/tight, so I made a cut down the far end side of it so it expands easier and allows me to slide the business end all the way Into it.

20210815_190916.jpg

20210815_190850.jpg

20210815_190827.jpg

Finally got the cover for my AC SR. It was way too small/tight, so I made a cut down the far end side of it so it expands easier and allows me to slide the business end all the way Into it.
Whoops, sorry. :blushing:

From that I can only guess that your SR is bigger than my DX.

My DX is ~7.4mm wide at the spine:
DX-Spine-Thickness_2021-08-16.jpg

The distance from the back of the spine to the loaded blade edge is ~18mm.

The safety cover was definitely a tight fit when it was new, but it slides in (and out) much easier now:
DX-in-Safety-Cover_2021-08-16.jpg

I have the next size up (not shown) for another kamisori, and although the DX fits in it fine, it doesn't clamp it in tight enough for my taste. Depending on your SR's dimensions you may need the next size up.

SAFETY THOUGHT:
I don't like your safety cover's "opened up" backstop.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I don't like your safety cover's "opened up" backstop.

Well at least I didn't have to go with my plan B.

How thick is the DX where it touches the top part of the cover? The part marked in the photo below.

20210816_043729.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom