What's new

Feather SS first shave

Greetings all,

I thought I would report in on my first attempt at a straight razor shave today. I unwrapped a Feather SS kamisori this Christmas morning, while counting the minutes until I could go lock myself away in the bathroom for a first shave.

I had not shaved for 3 days previous, to have a decent amount of beard to work with. I did a slow and meticulous prep in the bath, and washed twice with the PAA "cube". The soap I used was Ghost Dragon's Blood from CBL soaps. The blade I selected was a Feather Professional Soft Guard (pink box...), which I read is the absolute mildest in the Feather line.

After lathering well I began on the right side of my face. I ended about 25 minutes later after having made the better part of 1.5 passes WTG. By that time I discovered I had a major learning curve ahead, far more steep than when I started using a double edged safety razor some 5 years ago.

I ended up with about a half dozen small nicks, but none so bad as to require anything more than an alum block and quick splash with Thayers witch hazel. The shave quality itself was poor enough (rough as sandpaper), and knowing I needed to attend an extended family dinner later in the afternoon, I grabbed a my trusty Rockwell 6S and finished the ATG & XTG passes. The result ended up being a BBS shave, but that seemed to come more from the Rockwell than the Feather.

I did observe the following - please feel free to comment or offer tips:

1. Using my left hand to attempt to shave the left side of my face (1st time ever) is as awkward as anything I have ever attempted. Fantastically awkward. I am extremely right side dominant and I don't use my left hand for much of anything. If I arrive at a deal breaker in this experiment down the road, it may be the left hand aspect. The only experience I can compare it to is when I broke my right arm and temporarily had to learn to feed myself, and ummm, tend to personal toilet duties with my left hand. I won't scandalize anyone with the loathsome details of that particular experience, but it wasn't pleasant (try it yourself for a fun change of pace...).
I am curious if any of you experienced straight razor shavers just use one hand all over your face? I found myself trying angles and strokes with just my right hand. Should I just bite the bullet and resolve to learn to shave or is there another one handed technique I am unaware of ??

I was so slow and attentive that I kept having to reapply soap that was drying. When next I try this, I am only to to lather 1/2 of my face at a time.

I realized that it was odd being so dependent on looking at the mirror. I think that over time I have just developed a sense of where a de razor is on my face, and the angle. It was was difficult to go back to constantly looking in the mirror to figure out what I was doing.

I think for the next few shaves I will just work on WTG passes only, before moving on. I also plan on shaving every other day for a while to develop some decent stubble between shaves to gives myself something to actually remove.

I have purchased a 4 grades of the Feather blades and I plan on moving up the line as my skills progress. I figured on 2019 being the year of straight razor shavers with de razor assistance and touch ups as needed. I am in this for the long haul. I wasn't much better at de shaving when I started, but persisted to where it is second nature. I do feel like I am learning to shave all over again.

Last, I also have a Feather folding SS razor. For any of you who have both, is it a good thing to switch between the folding & non-violent varieties? Should I just stay with one of then? Is either variety easier for a rank beginner straight razor shavers to use?

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

DCJ,
Raytown MO

Autocorrect corrections. .

I also had to learn to dress myself with one hand.

Folding and non folding SS razors...

Keep this is mind, the only way to cut flesh is with a steep angle. Being meticulous about blade angle will ensure you don't cut, but shave only. I started with a Feather SS folding and pro guard blades on late September of this year. I never cut myself once because I had learned the importance of the correct angle using a vintage GEM razor.

The awkwardness is just a lack of muscle memory. Just keep at it going very slow. It will no take long, a week or less.

Congratulations on you attempt. Continue to use your DE razor and over time you will need to use less. Just go slow. Plan your moves. and check your angle before moving. :a14::a14:

:001_07:I've now shaved twice with my Feather SS, folder. Somewhat awkward since I've been shaving about 50 years with safety razors. As always, the key to a good shave is getting the beard moist so I almost always shave just after a hot shower, followed by hot lather from a cake of Williams, applied with a new synthetic 'plissoft' from Razorock.
At first, the shave was incredibly smooth, so smooth I quickly realized I wasn't cutting anything. Somehow I'd managed to put in the Feather 'Professional' upside down. :001_07:
Fixing that, it was still possibly the smoothest, closest shave ever. I never shave against the grain and across the grain only in a few spots on my neck. THE only problem is that it feels awkward and it's hard to see since my hand gets in the way of my view, on both sides of my face. I only shave right handed.
I'm sure it's just a matter of time and practice for it to feel natural, but for now the visual obstruction is the major issue.

:001_07:I've now shaved twice with my Feather SS, folder. Somewhat awkward since I've been shaving about 50 years with safety razors. As always, the key to a good shave is getting the beard moist so I almost always shave just after a hot shower, followed by hot lather from a cake of Williams, applied with a new synthetic 'plissoft' from Razorock.
At first, the shave was incredibly smooth, so smooth I quickly realized I wasn't cutting anything. Somehow I'd managed to put in the Feather 'Professional' upside down. :001_07:
Fixing that, it was still possibly the smoothest, closest shave ever. I never shave against the grain and across the grain only in a few spots on my neck. THE only problem is that it feels awkward and it's hard to see since my hand gets in the way of my view, on both sides of my face. I only shave right handed.
I'm sure it's just a matter of time and practice for it to feel natural, but for now the visual obstruction is the major issue.
You're doing fabulous. Go slow and use plenty of hydrated lather.

Shaving with the SS is a whole new ballgame. You have to really watch your angle and pressure. Once you learn it though, you can get amazing shaves. I used to love my Feather SS Kami.

I still use my Feather AC from time to time. I find it to be an excellent shave. Definitely requires a small amount of adjustment vs. a regular straight razor though - namely in the angle department. And it always pays dividends to not use any pressure! Let the razor almost float above your skin. This is important with a regular straight razor too but doubly so with a new Feather blade. I shave WTG and ATG and I rarely nick myself. ATG it is more like triply important to use no pressure. Just find the right angle and let the razor work.

I shave the right side with my right hand and the left side with my left hand when shaving WTG, but for ATG I use my right hand only for both sides and everywhere else. The visual obstruction thing is just something you'll have to work around. After a while you'll get a feel for it and pretty much not need to see to shave. Even checking for missed spots with your fingertips. I think after this long I could probably almost shave blindfolded.

Last edited:
I've been playing with my Feather SS, using a 'pro' blade. A standard DE razor like a Gillette SuperSpeed or Above-the-Tie still feels more natural to me. One of the issues I've had with the SS has been mentioned by others; the little bulge it has, which distinguishes it from the DX, limits the angle.
So I've been trying it with half a DE blade. Despite what we've been told, it fits and gives what I presume is a more DX like shave since the half DE blade protrudes more. Dunno if anyone else has tried this, but it works for me, tho' I've erred on the side of caution. No nicks or cuts so far, but I have not tried for the closest shave.

:001_07:I

I've had similar issues with vision using my Feather Japanese SS kamasori (non-folding) and/or my straight razor. It's the stretching of the skin and scales for me. Although I've found the Kamasori style to be less obstructive. I'm sure there is a learning curve.

Stay at it.

Last edited:
Hi,

Some great advice here in this thread.

Well done for getting into using your SR. It took me the best part of 28 years to stop admiring the idea from afar.

One thing which enhanced my confidence to go for it was the huge improvement in non-dominant hand dexterity since I began head shaving regularly with a cartridge a few years ago. It just isn't really practical to do the entire head from the dominant hand, and my love of order and symmetry eventually led to me insisting I do the left half with the left and vice versa... I had some burn at first, maybe a nick or two but soon I got better and I became fluent with it over time. This gave me hope that I would be able to master a SR - eventually.

I've now completed 7 full head and beard edge shaves with my Feather AC SS, and each one has shown a marked improvement. I did my most recent the day before yesterday, and afterward was really, really happy with it. Whenever I've cut myself it has been from unintentionally going ATG / XTG - the back of the head isn't a complete guessing game from a grain mapping point of view, but it's close! Or as @Twelvefret says, going at too steep an angle. Those issues are somewhat related. I find wetting my fingers and rubbing the tips on my alum block improves razor control a lot, minimising involuntary angle changes.

All that said, if you aren't shaving your head with it, I can't see a reason why you'd absolutely have to use your non-dominant hand. It's necessary for me as a head shaver, and I enjoy the challenge of learning to be ambidextrous!

Like others I struggle a little at the sides due to my view being blocked. It was heart in mouth the first time I made a blind pass. But I reasoned I do the entire back of my head blind. Feel and muscle memory soon build, as others have said.

Luke

Good stuff in this thread!

I tried for the first time with my Feather SS Kamisori tonight. (But not my first straight razor shave). Only three small nicks on my chin/goatee area... which is also my most difficult area to shave with any shaver (DE, SE, cart, whatever), so expected and no big deal.

WOW! I love the results, but yo ... I definitely need practice/experience to develop some skill and muscle memory. Finding the correct angle is key; once I get that I should be good to go.

I used a Feather Professional Super blade. What other blades should I try? Note that in my DE's, I use Feather blades almost exclusively, so ultimate sharp edge doesn't scare me away. With that said, are there milder blades I should drive while honing my technique?

Of course I had to touch-up and used my Merkur OC for that. But with practice, won't need a touch-up crutch anymore! :)

Good stuff in this thread!

I tried for the first time with my Feather SS Kamisori tonight. (But not my first straight razor shave). Only three small nicks on my chin/goatee area... which is also my most difficult area to shave with any shaver (DE, SE, cart, whatever), so expected and no big deal.

WOW! I love the results, but yo ... I definitely need practice/experience to develop some skill and muscle memory. Finding the correct angle is key; once I get that I should be good to go.

I used a Feather Professional Super blade. What other blades should I try? Note that in my DE's, I use Feather blades almost exclusively, so ultimate sharp edge doesn't scare me away. With that said, are there milder blades I should drive while honing my technique?

Of course I had to touch-up and used my Merkur OC for that. But with practice, won't need a touch-up crutch anymore! :)

:a14::a14:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Greetings all,

I thought I would report in on my first attempt at a straight razor shave today. I unwrapped a Feather SS kamisori this Christmas morning, while counting the minutes until I could go lock myself away in the bathroom for a first shave.

I had not shaved for 3 days previous, to have a decent amount of beard to work with. I did a slow and meticulous prep in the bath, and washed twice with the PAA "cube". The soap I used was Ghost Dragon's Blood from CBL soaps. The blade I selected was a Feather Professional Soft Guard (pink box...), which I read is the absolute mildest in the Feather line.

After lathering well I began on the right side of my face. I ended about 25 minutes later after having made the better part of 1.5 passes WTG. By that time I discovered I had a major learning curve ahead, far more steep than when I started using a double edged safety razor some 5 years ago.

I ended up with about a half dozen small nicks, but none so bad as to require anything more than an alum block and quick splash with Thayers witch hazel. The shave quality itself was poor enough (rough as sandpaper), and knowing I needed to attend an extended family dinner later in the afternoon, I grabbed a my trusty Rockwell 6S and finished the ATG & XTG passes. The result ended up being a BBS shave, but that seemed to come more from the Rockwell than the Feather.

I did observe the following - please feel free to comment or offer tips:

1. Using my left hand to attempt to shave the left side of my face (1st time ever) is as awkward as anything I have ever attempted. Fantastically awkward. I am extremely right side dominant and I don't use my left hand for much of anything. If I arrive at a deal breaker in this experiment down the road, it may be the left hand aspect. The only experience I can compare it to is when I broke my right arm and temporarily had to learn to feed myself, and ummm, tend to personal toilet duties with my left hand. I won't scandalize anyone with the loathsome details of that particular experience, but it wasn't pleasant (try it yourself for a fun change of pace...).
I am curious if any of you experienced straight razor shavers just use one hand all over your face? I found myself trying angles and strokes with just my right hand. Should I just bite the bullet and resolve to learn to shave or is there another one handed technique I am unaware of ??

I was so slow and attentive that I kept having to reapply soap that was drying. When next I try this, I am only to to lather 1/2 of my face at a time.

I realized that it was odd being so dependent on looking at the mirror. I think that over time I have just developed a sense of where a de razor is on my face, and the angle. It was was difficult to go back to constantly looking in the mirror to figure out what I was doing.

I think for the next few shaves I will just work on WTG passes only, before moving on. I also plan on shaving every other day for a while to develop some decent stubble between shaves to gives myself something to actually remove.

I have purchased a 4 grades of the Feather blades and I plan on moving up the line as my skills progress. I figured on 2019 being the year of straight razor shavers with de razor assistance and touch ups as needed. I am in this for the long haul. I wasn't much better at de shaving when I started, but persisted to where it is second nature. I do feel like I am learning to shave all over again.

Last, I also have a Feather folding SS razor. For any of you who have both, is it a good thing to switch between the folding & non-violent varieties? Should I just stay with one of then? Is either variety easier for a rank beginner straight razor shavers to use?

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

DCJ,
Raytown MO
Just don’t despair. You will be surprised at how quickly it falls into place.

Just don’t despair. You will be surprised at how quickly it falls into place.

I'd second this - from his posts Steve is a veteran shaver with a huge amount of knowledge. I'm pretty much the opposite, but can vouch for what he's saying. It certainly does fall into place.

For me, I went through a process of shaves actually getting worse before I learned to trust the Feather's design. A low shave angle and firm lateral pressure enable the lip to raise your skin before the blade, which results in buttery-smooth shaving.

Regarding blades: I understand Pro Super blades have the longest projection of all the Feather blades. Half the time I use Feather Pro blades, and find them a little harsh on the first shave, they seem to settle down after this. I'm getting good results, and I alternate between Pros and Schick Prolines. If you want a milder blade I'd recommend the Schick Proline. They are very smooth right out of the box. Only downside I can see is they don't seem to last quite as long as the Pros.

Luke

Regarding blades: I understand Pro Super blades have the longest projection of all the Feather blades. Half the time I use Feather Pro blades, and find them a little harsh on the first shave, they seem to settle down after this. I'm getting good results, and I alternate between Pros and Schick Prolines. If you want a milder blade I'd recommend the Schick Proline. They are very smooth right out of the box. Only downside I can see is they don't seem to last quite as long as the Pros.

Luke

Thank you... I'll try some Prolines.

Hello all,

Just checking back in on all the updates. I am still using my Feather SS, both the folding and non folding varieties. The shaves have gotten better to the point where I know if I was only using the the shavette, I would probably really need to shave every 3 days (to be fair, I really only need to shave every other day anyway). I am still using the very low end of the Feather AC line blades.
I still struggle with the whole non dominant hand issue. Maybe that part of straight shaving I am not meant to master. In March, the cordless phone rang in my bathroom at precisely the wrong moment, as left hand with razor was coming in. This startled me and the result was an actual free flowing bloody slice on my left cheekbone that took a couple of weeks to heal properly. Luckily I gave up shaving for Lent, so I picked back up after Easter, having since moved the phone... I noticed the 2nd go around with the Feather SS' is going much easier than the first. I also have largely abandoned the attempt to use my left hand...

I am very glad I persisted overall. I enjoy the experience of the straight razor more, and I do get better shaves for the effort. I have read the comments about the Proline P-30 blades with interest as they are reasonably priced and folks seem to like them. I would love to get some but would like to try before I buy. Anyone know where to get some statewide before pulling the stops on a larger Japanese purchase? I know you can get 300 of them (a lifetime supply by my calculation) shipped from Dai Nippon for about $130.00 but I would like to have a better idea of them before making that sort of commitment.

Oddly enough, for all this, my Sunday morning shave today will not be the aforementioned Feathers. Yesterday's mail brought delivery of a Rockwell Model T and stand, in gunmetal, that I purchased as a Indiegogo backer some 14 months ago. I am now officially curious as to whether my patience has been rewarded...

DCJ
Raytown MO

PS If anyone here is as inherently ignorant as I am: cordless phones in the bathroom are not a good plan for straight shaving... That scar is still visible.

I've been posting updates in another thread in the shave clinic forum (I think I accidentally hijacked a thread there).

Anyway, here are the key highlights:
  • Each shave gets better and better; I'm at the point now where I have to take extra care and slow down so my overconfidence doesn't cause injury.
  • Keeping the razor "bump" against the skin is key; I tried resting the razor completely flat, but that didn't seem to work. I'll experiment some more with that.
  • Feather ProGuards are my favorite blades so far. Kai Milds are okay. Feather Supers ... well, I'll revisit those when I'm more comfortable with the other two. :)
  • The blades are good for many shaves; I've been switching out after three shaves because of "tugging". But that is probably just poor technique and will try to use them beyond that. The Kai Mild seem to "tug" on the first shave.
KCModan: I have learned from your experience and keep the phone in another room when I'm shaving. :)

I also use my right hand almost exclusively. I can use my left, but find I don't need it. Is there any advantage to ambidextrous shaving?

I recommend the non folding over the folding. I have both the SS and the DX and the SS is the easier to learn and least aggressive.

You will want the flattest possible angle and a super light tough. Imagine you're tickling your face with a real feather or just trying to scoop lather off your face.

It took me months to master the Feather, even after being fully confident with a traditional SR, so be patient.

The Feather Super Pro blades are the widest and the thickest. The Pro blades being thinner are sharper and need a lighter touch for the first few shaves.

I have just about finished my first Kai blade. It shaves much like the Super Pro, but it does not seem to age as well.

Top Bottom