What's new

Feather SR kamisori

Yep, I got a tight one. Mine won't open enough for the injector to push the blade in and won't go all the way down without some persuasion. I have to move the blade out of the injector slightly and force it in then re-engage the injector. But it is so tight that it twists the injector when trying to load it all the way down. I was really looking forward to it being as easy as these videos. Oh well, at least I got it on sale. Thanks.

You guys are tempting me to get the SR. I have a SS and SS clone, both shave excellent and they are very good when I travel and don't want to risk damage/theft of my straights.

A few months ago I decided to use the SS for the first time in a long time, and made some mistakes and offered some blood to the shaving gods. I forgot that straights are a lot more forgiving than a Feather of any kind.

Good learning though, I think every straight razor shaver should try a shavette or Feather AC once in a while, sharpens up your technique.

Yep, I got a tight one. Mine won't open enough for the injector to push the blade in and won't go all the way down without some persuasion. I have to move the blade out of the injector slightly and force it in then re-engage the injector. But it is so tight that it twists the injector when trying to load it all the way down. I was really looking forward to it being as easy as these videos. Oh well, at least I got it on sale. Thanks.
They are all the same when they are new.

Press the top a few times as if you wish to release a blade - slowly it will start opening up fairly easily.

Just be patient.

You guys are tempting me to get the SR. I have a SS and SS clone, both shave excellent and they are very good when I travel and don't want to risk damage/theft of my straights.

A few months ago I decided to use the SS for the first time in a long time, and made some mistakes and offered some blood to the shaving gods. I forgot that straights are a lot more forgiving than a Feather of any kind.

Good learning though, I think every straight razor shaver should try a shavette or Feather AC once in a while, sharpens up your technique.
Like we have said ( others too elsewhere) the SR is far better than the SS.

Always use a proguard blade if you aren't an experienced user.

I have used feather professional blades in my KAI captain clone for 3 years, but as you must know they are more aggressive due to their greater blade exposure and also their lack of the protective guard , that the proguard blade has.

fbd.jpg

Are you sure you have the two halves properly aligned? I recommend taking it apart and making sure the pins which hold the face together are fully seated and not bent. Then carefully align when reassembling, taking care to not start compressing the leaf spring before the pins are getting close to alignment (close to where they will slide in), so that there is no binding when you slide it back together.

Also be aware that the Feather AC blade dispensers are not the best or smoothest to load from. I have needed to use a flat bladed screw driver to bend the tabs on a cassette just to get the blades out, as either the spring is not strong enough to push up the blades, or the clearance was too tight around the opening. I most often eject a blade and then load it into the razor by hand.

Are you sure you have the two halves properly aligned? I recommend taking it apart and making sure the pins which hold the face together are fully seated and not bent. Then carefully align when reassembling, taking care to not start compressing the leaf spring before the pins are getting close to alignment (close to where they will slide in), so that there is no binding when you slide it back together.

Also be aware that the Feather AC blade dispensers are not the best or smoothest to load from. I have needed to use a flat bladed screw driver to bend the tabs on a cassette just to get the blades out, as either the spring is not strong enough to push up the blades, or the clearance was too tight around the opening. I most often eject a blade and then load it into the razor by hand.
Hey, thanks for the reply! Being curious as I am, the first thing I did was take it apart. The pins are engaged and it's all together and holds the blade, but I am not sure about compressing the leaf spring. Mine made a clicking sound right out of the package which, when I took it apart, I believe is coming from the leaf spring. I fiddled with it quite a lot, but it just went back together the way I got it. I suspect the leaf spring is binding on something on the casting, but am not going to attempt a fix since it shaves.

Thank you for the idea about adjusting the dispenser. I will probably resort to the tweezer method because of how much force it takes to get the blade started in. I don't want to slip and cut myself.

I am two shaves in with no problems so the difficult loading isn't affecting the shave and I don't have to worry about the blade slipping out. Luckily, I shouldn't have to change the blade too often.

They are all the same when they are new.

Press the top a few times as if you wish to release a blade - slowly it will start opening up fairly easily.

Just be patient.
@APBinNCA

Like I said be patient the spring initially is like that with all of them when they are new.

Do not mess around with it too much - you may damage it.

Enjoy your shaves mate !

@APBinNCA

Like I said be patient the spring initially is like that with all of them when they are new.

Do not mess around with it too much - you may damage it.

Enjoy your shaves mate !
Thanks! I am actually going to contact the US distributor. There is a huge uneven gap on the top with the blade loaded. Enough that I con see the spring! I still can't get the blade out without opening the whole thing which is not correct. I can see how much the spring is wearing against the half. Better to get another one now than risk having a warranty claim denied later for user error.

Thanks! I am actually going to contact the US distributor. There is a huge uneven gap on the top with the blade loaded. Enough that I con see the spring! I still can't get the blade out without opening the whole thing which is not correct. I can see how much the spring is wearing against the half. Better to get another one now than risk having a warranty claim denied later for user error.
It would be nice to actually see the issue.

Photos.

Here is my attempt from the bottom, this shows how the front doesn't open

IMG_1650.jpeg

I sent them a detailed description and photos, pretty sure they will make it right.

Top Bottom