What's new

Feather good for only one shave?

If you can't get a 2nd shave from any blade, then I'd take a second look at your prep routine.
I'll second that. Facial hair can be tough on a blade if it's not hydrated enough. If your face isn't prepared properly, this can contribute to blade wear as well. I can't imagine a Feather blade becoming difficult to shave with after one shave. I have a tough beard and it can handle up to 5 days worth of shaving.

Last edited:
I'll accept the criticism...what would you suggest to additionally hydrate the whiskers? I have both Proraso and Castle Forbes pre shave. I always hot shower before shaving...always.

Thanks guys! :thumbup1:

I get 6 days out of a Feather. I get about the same, maybe a day less, out of an Iridium. By comparison I get 2-3 days out of a Bic, Treet, Derby, Crystal, and just about everything else I've tried. Go figure.

I'll accept the criticism...what would you suggest to additionally hydrate the whiskers? I have both Proraso and Castle Forbes pre shave. I always hot shower before shaving...always.

Thanks guys! :thumbup1:
I apologize if I came across as critical. I was speculating as to the reason why your Feather didin't last more than one shave. Normally, a Feather should last a few shaves. Unhydrated hair can be tough on a blade edge, which is why dry shaving is harsh for blades and your face. Since you are using a pre-shave and showering before you shave, your facial hair should be adequately hydrated. How long do you leave the pre-shave on your face before you begin shaving?

For me, a Feather blade is good for 2 shaves. Once, I pushed a blade for 3 shaves, but it wasn't comfortable. And I did the same prep, use the Speick Soap. No extra variables here.
The first shave is great, and most expect the secont to be similar to the first. But it isn't. Feather blades wear out faster than any other blades.
But still awesome for one great Sunday shave. :biggrin1:

Hi.

I got some new Feather SE Carbon blades for my Valet Auto Strop.

The blades are OK, but don't seem as sharp as even a Walgreen's GEM blade. I've tested them also on my arm hair, not inserted into a razor and again the plain Walgreens GEM are sharper.

Like the original poster, I can't use the Feather blades for more than one decent shave. I do have a heavy beard, but I shower before shaving and use a pretty oily vegetable soap as a preshave while showering to soften the beard, and a badger brush with Omega shave cream once I'm out of the shower, so prep isn't the problem.

I'd like to try the Feather SE Stainless version for comparison. They're pretty hard to come by.

Yours in shaving,

Chuck

Interesting. Sounds like more people are not getting multiple shaves from a Feather.

I can get 3 decent shaves from a Feather, but they get pretty rough if I try for more. That said, I can get 6-7 from Sharks and Black 7 O'Clocks.

I get 2 shaves, rarely 3 from Feathers. Got a 5 pak in a sampler, not likely to buy again. Blue Birds are not fat behind. Just my 2 cents.

Mike

I change mine out every Sunday, so some weeks I get 3 shaves and some weeks I get 4 or 5 just depends on what I have to do that week.

Interesting. Sounds like more people are not getting multiple shaves from a Feather.

Get yourself the AS, as I just finished my THIRD shave with the same Feather blade. Never got that far :lol:, as in my usual razors most blades, including Feather, give up after one shave.

I would like to find stock in Canada or the USA. I would also like to find the AS Feather with the base in Canada or USA. Neither exists right now. :laugh:

I guess I'll have to order from Singapore...unless someone knows of a place getting stock in the next week.

I may treat myself to purchasing one today! I wish I could buy the razor and base though. :001_rolle

I have a base too, not the Feather one, but the one from the Thai factory I.... that has been banned here ;). Not exactly same colour, but it fits well.

Top Bottom