What's new

Feather good for only one shave?

My technique is to use a feather for 2 shaves with my Tech and then move it to a more aggressive razor like a New Standard for a few more. No weepers while it's super-sharp, and then a very nice shave afterwards. YMMV.

My technique is to use a feather for 2 shaves with my Tech and then move it to a more aggressive razor like a New Standard for a few more. No weepers while it's super-sharp, and then a very nice shave afterwards. YMMV.

I'll have to try that. Thx!

While the Feather is a very sharp blade that gives a close and smooth shave, I find blade longevity to be very unpredictable. When I first used Feathers I could only get 1, 2, 3 good shaves per blade.

Last Friday I decided to revisit and actually got 4 good shaves from a single blade in my 1946 Aristocrat. :w00t:

I'll try again with another Feather tomorrow morning. Otherwise, I prefer Red Pack Personnas, Derbys and Crystals. I can get 3 great shaves from each before having to change blades.

Update:

So I tested my theory again. I used the same 1904, Castle Forbes, and a one shave old Feather. It wasn't too bad...until I got to the ATG pass on my lower neck. The blade was definitely on its last leg.

From here on out...I think I can only get away with shaving once with a Feather. They shave great on that first shave though! :biggrin1:

Past history confirmed: shave no. 2 with blade no. 2 was a disaster. WTG and XTG passes were so-so, but on the ATG pass the Feather decides to tug and skip. the left side of my neck looks like a pepperoni pizza.

It's gonna take a couple days off to get my neck back to normal. My BBS ratio just got worse by 1.

Going back to the Red IP's on Monday.

I just shaved a 2nd time on a Feather and it was awesome!

My first shave sucked and I pretty much wanted to trade all of my blades away for something else.

Now I have to test more...

I get 6 or 7 shaves out of my feathers. If I only got 2 or 3 I'd try another brand.

I have tried a lot...I love a shave from a Feather. The best I have had since leaving the cartridge world. They just don't last for me. At 40 cents per blade...who cares if the only last for one shave. I would rather have the best shave than save money. IMHO.

Same as me then. I'm just going to stay with using Feathers only once.

Do you use both sides of the blade during that shave? In the Enigma I do, as the Enigma has two different sides. An aggressive side for the first pass and a milder side for the second pass. In the Feather AS both sides are the same, so I do both passes with the same side, and can use the other side for a second shave.

Do you use both sides of the blade during that shave? In the Enigma I do, as the Enigma has two different sides. An aggressive side for the first pass and a milder side for the second pass. In the Feather AS both sides are the same, so I do both passes with the same side, and can use the other side for a second shave.

I actually don't. I shave with one side...rotate to the other...shave...then rinse....then repeat.

I may try that. Thanks! How do you mark which side of the blade you used? I would forget by the next day.

PS I am still on the fence for picking up the Feather AS with base. Does Hairizon sell Feather blades too?

I actually don't. I shave with one side...rotate to the other...shave...then rinse....then repeat.

I may try that. Thanks! How do you mark which side of the blade you used? I would forget by the next day.

PS I am still on the fence for picking up the Feather AS with base. Does Hairizon sell Feather blades too?

With the AS it is easy: it says Feather on the top, so I always do the first shave with the text readable, and the second with the text upside down.

Hairizon also sells the blades, but you can get them here on B&B too.

I just had my 5th good shave from a Feather in my Feather AS(first time I've ever taken one to 5 shaves). Had a 2-day growth though which is always easier to cut smoothly than if I'm shaving every day for work

First time on a feather blade I got 12qty / 3 pass shaves with touch-ups. It is all about prep. A hot towel on the face is essential.

I can sometimes get 2 great shaves out of a Feather, 3 has never happened for me. Prior to using Feathers I was using Astra SP and could only get 3 max. I tried to go back to Astras and they feel like dragging a rock across my face now. I don't care if the Feathers only last for 1 perfect shave, it's worth it. My whiskers are like steel and even a barber with a straight has a fun time shaving me.

Top Bottom