What's new

Feather good for only one shave?

First time on a feather blade I got 12qty / 3 pass shaves with touch-ups. It is all about prep. A hot towel on the face is essential.

I'm going to have to disagree. You can prep all you want but if you have a barb wire beard YMMV. I can only get 2'ish shave from a Feather. I only prefer one to be honest. That one shave is worth it though. Total BBS!

I can sometimes get 2 great shaves out of a Feather, 3 has never happened for me. Prior to using Feathers I was using Astra SP and could only get 3 max. I tried to go back to Astras and they feel like dragging a rock across my face now. I don't care if the Feathers only last for 1 perfect shave, it's worth it. My whiskers are like steel and even a barber with a straight has a fun time shaving me.

Ditto. I have over 100 Astras sitting here and I doubt I will get to them. Loving my one shave Feathers. lol

I get 2 unhappy shaves from a feather. Can't stand 'em. I have settled on Derby's which last 4 comfortable shaves for me. I just bought 100 Derby's which should take me out a while.

I'm going to have to disagree. You can prep all you want but if you have a barb wire beard YMMV. I can only get 2'ish shave from a Feather. I only prefer one to be honest. That one shave is worth it though. Total BBS!

Honest! I got 12 shaves from one Feather blade and one Mergress razor! ... and it was all about prep! I can only speak for my beard, and my prep, which is now similar to Truefitt & Hill style.

I use Feathers on most days. Like some other B&Bers, I have found that the second shave is noticeably better than the first. I usually change out after the fourth shave. I would describe my beard as average.

Feathers are the best blades I know, so I'm sticking with them.

I'm going to make another post in this thread after perfecting everything. My prep and technique are bang on...and I still only get one sweet shave per blade. The first shave is irritation free and a total BBS. The second shave on a blade gives me irritation and I feel it doesn't cut as well. This goes for most blades I have tried.

Like it has been written...YMMV...but it's not my prep or technique. So :001_tt2:

Feathers and Iridiums are my daily blades. Leaving my Red IPs, Derbys, etc., to collect dust.

I get just 2 good shaves from the Feather, second being the best. Then I pitch. I may, or may not, get a 3rd good shave from the Iridium.

No idea how long the others last; no interest.

YMMV:biggrin1:

I don't have a particularly thick or tough beard, just average. I usually get two great shaves from a Feather. If I go for a third, I may get a great shave or I may have to discard the blade after the first stroke, so I just plan on getting two great shaves and tossing the blade.

4-5 shaves are good for me. Oddly the first shave is usually the worst and where I am most likely to nick, the second is better. Towards the end it gets tougher to get a good shave but it's still pretty smooth.

I think you have too much iron in your diet :)

I can get 5-6 passes out of a Feather. That would make 2 fine and one dubious DFS-shaves or two 2-pass shaves with touch ups that come closer to BBS. As with more sharper Asian blades the edge is gone pretty soon; a lot of blades that start out less sharp last me a lot longer.

I found my optimum in 3 shaves from a rather sharp blade capable of keeping its edge a little longer and remaining at the same level of sharpness for a couple of shaves. While the Feather seems to be unbeatable in sharpness on the 1st shave it is surpassed by many on the 2nd.

i think i'm part of the 1 shave feather blade club. on the 2nd shave with the blade, i shaved after taking a shower. used crown pre shave formula on the first and third passes. on the third pass (ATG) it tore my neck up.

the first shave is always great but after that :blink:

i'll have to get a sample pack because this won't cut it, literally.

Top Bottom