What's new

Feather blades and EJ DE89L

I will preface this with the fact that I am very new to wet shaving and DE in general. I have tried my new EJ with Personna and Iridium blades. No problems there, but a close shave seemed to take many many passes. This is the result of my technique needing improvement which I am working on. I've been rotating creams between VDH deluxe soap, Proraso green tea soap, weleda cream, tabac cream, and musgo real. Overall very good results, but musgo real and tabac are my favorites. So today I decided to try one of the infamous feather blades....wow is all I can say. Did I get nics? or weepers? ...does Sarah Palin say you betcha? :lol: Extremely sharp blade which made my newbie technique become all the more obvious. My face is a little worse for the wear right now, but its nothing that my Thayer's witch hazel and some good balm wont fix. It was a valuable learning experience, and a nice close shave even if I butchered myself a little. It just proved that there is no substitute for good products that are properly used...i guess I am now addicted, I just need to go back to iridium or derby blades for a bit longer until I am ready for the ninja blades :w00t:

Last edited:
Feathers are sharp.
They cut well.
I use the EJ89-feather combo at lot.
If I can do it it can't be that difficult.
Good technique comes with repetition. Keep after it.

"It just proved that there is no substitute for good products that are properly used..."
amen.

Great to hear. How well do you like the EJ razor overall, it is at the top of my "to buy" list, and I am tempted to pull the trigger right now.

Feathers are sharp.
They cut well.
I use the EJ89-feather combo at lot.
If I can do it it can't be that difficult.
Good technique comes with repetition. Keep after it.

"It just proved that there is no substitute for good products that are properly used..."
amen.

+1 It took awhile for my technique to catch up but eventually I got my first BBS with this combo. I found that a 2 day growth was the perfect buffer to make this combo shine.

Good luck and happy shaves!

The EJ89 with feathers is my favourite combo as it gets me the closest shave everytime. It shaves so close that I can usually get by without shaving again for a few days after. This is also sometimes why I'm hesitant about using it since I want to shave more often :001_tongu

and you're right about the sharpness of the feathers. Last week I sliced a pimple I didn't know I had right off! Bled for a few hours and I couldn't shave for 4 days while it healed :scared:

I put a feather in my 89L this morning. It didn't seem any sharper or provide any better, just a bit harsher. Might be time for practice.

N.

I put a feather in my 89L this morning. It didn't seem any sharper or provide any better, just a bit harsher. Might be time for practice.

N.

I know I need more practice thats for sure. I am glad the DE89L isnt an aggressive razor otherwise I may have sliced off my lips....

Glad to hear you found a good razor/blade combo. I wouldn't be too obsessed with getting a BBS shave at the moment. You should be aiming to get an irritation and nick free shave. Once you do that, the smoothness will come.

Pete

feathers tore me up the first time I used them but now they are my favorite, I started being very cautious with them making sure not to break any rules (don't shave spots that have no lather, don't apply any pressure etc) But now Im at the point where I can break rules and not cut myself or get any razor burn.

Is the Edwin Jagger Chatsworth Lined safety/double edge razor on the English Shaving Company for $115 the same razor as the EJ DE89L?

Thanks, DRW

Been using the Feathers exclusively now for a month and find that the first shave is always a little more apt to produce a weeper. After that the second thru fifth shaves are heaven. Great blade you...:thumbup: just have to respect them and have youe technique down pat.
Happy Shaves

Feather is a fantastic blade and I use them all the time - just not as a go to blade. Irridium are quickly becoming my go to. They're really sharp like Feathers but a bit smoother. Astra is a good one too. If you have an aggressive razor (I use a Merkur Sledgehammer Slant) one of those three are great. Personna IP Reds are solid in a SuperSpeed or Merkur HD but not in a more aggressive razor.

...My face is a little worse for the wear right now, but its nothing that my Thayer's witch hazel and some good balm wont fix. It was a valuable learning experience, and a nice close shave even if I butchered myself a little. It just proved that there is no substitute for good products that are properly used...

+10 on the EJ DE89L with Feathers!!!
IMHO the best combination I have experienced and a great setup for someone new to DE shaving.
Are Feathers sharp? Heck yeah they are! Might be a good idea to revert back to the other blades until you get your technique down, but once you do, the Feathers is the best way to go (I ordered a hundred of them)... again IMHO.

Top Bottom