What's new

Feather AS-D2

It's been a little bit more than a year that I ventured into DE shaving, but for whatever reason I never loved any of my razors until recently. so far the journey has been:

Merkur 34C → Gillette Adjustables (Slim, Fatboy, Black handles @ #3) → Rockwell 6S (#3) & T (#2) → Rex Ambassador (#2)

but I finally found the Feather AS-D2 on sale, and this razor has been pretty much perfect. It's mild but once you add a feather or Personna med prep blade, it is just amazing & smooth. I have to hold it at 45 degree angle all the way to almost parallel to the floor but this has worked wonders and it's the first razor that allows me to shave my neck ATG w/o any irritations. Also it's more forgiving than other razors when you push it against your skin.

The only thing that might push me into using one of the previous ones as a backup is that since this is a very mild razor, it requires 3 shaves for a BBS.

It's definitely a winner with a Feather blade. I get an irritation-free BBS shave with it most of the time. It has, for me, a fairly narrow range if cutting angle, but once I learned it, I loved it. Congratulations!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The AS-D2 is on sale somewhere?

Folks...that was the takeaway sentence from this post.

This was a few weeks ago on Amazon, but the cheapest I've seen online currently is on eBay @ $150

Last edited:
I’m also a fan of the AS-D2. It feels very light and nibble much as I would expect a samurai sword would feel in the hand. Light is probably the wrong word. It has a decent weight but the weight it balanced in a way that makes it feel light and manoeuvrable. It’s a nice sleek design with minimal bulk. The matt finish suits the razor very well. The fit and finish is as you would expect from a Japanese product, very good with tight tolerances. Definitively a classic design with, to my eye, a touch of Bauhaus.

I also find it to be a great shaver. Comfortable and forgiving. Gets into tight spots with ease. With the right angle it can also be quite efficient. I don’t have many razors but this one is a keeper.

i use to have a Feather AS-D2 a while back, i didnt properly maintain my razors though so all my razors at first and it got all rusty, along with my murkur futur. stored them wet with blade in it. i ended up giving these away and got electrical trimmers. when i got into wet shaving agian, i picked up a timeless razor TI with .68 and .95 base, and a tatara mansume shortly after. both great shaves, but i remember now impressed i was when i first used the AS-D2 so i picked up another one. really solid razor good shaves equal to my other razors. mild and smooth ( my preference ) i gave away the tatara to a friend who was intrigued about wet shaves. i miss that razor though im gonna pick up another one. also i just got this in the mail today.

IMG_0387.JPG IMG_0388.JPG IMG_0389.JPG

the feather AS-D2 is the base razor that i compare all other razors too, to see how good or bad it is. i wish i had a stand for it though.

My two de razors are the Feather AS-D2 closed comb and the Timeless Stainless Steel 0.68 Open Comb. Both are outstanding razors and between the two I feel like I have my bases covered. I had a Merkur Futur which was great for learning but I found it too bulky in the end and passed it forward. I’m very happy with my little set and I don’t feel the need to add any more de’s in the collection.

My two de razors are the Feather AS-D2 closed comb and the Timeless Stainless Steel 0.68 Open Comb. Both are outstanding razors and between the two I feel like I have my bases covered. I had a Merkur Futur which was great for learning but I found it too bulky in the end and passed it forward. I’m very happy with my little set and I don’t feel the need to add any more de’s in the collection.

I notice a for lot of people who own Feathers, they also own Timeless razors... what is so special with Timeless ?

I notice a for lot of people who own Feathers, they also own Timeless razors... what is so special with Timeless ?

I fit into that camp. In addition to the AS-D2, my other razor is a Timeless .68 SB.

The Timeless is a lot different than an AS-D2, but what it does have in common is that it's pretty forgiving and feels mild, although it is more efficient. It's incredibly smooth, which is what really draws me to it.

Just like the Japanese have an eye for detail and the attention to see it through to a finished product, the folks who created the Timeless products also have a phenomenal eye for detail. The detail that they realized from experience with many examples before they imagined the art and designs. And from these blueprinted their vision and created a product with near state of the art machining equipment that can make cuts and patterns from a solid block into the rough product you see as amazingly well-polished pieces of steels and other very difficult to work metals. The amazing thing isn't so much that they did all this, it's that it came together so well, so intelligently, its that with so many people who have so many different facial planes, beard differences, and performance spectrum: We find we all REALLY like the results.
I N C R E D I B L E !

I fit into that camp. In addition to the AS-D2, my other razor is a Timeless .68 SB.

The Timeless is a lot different than an AS-D2, but what it does have in common is that it's pretty forgiving and feels mild, although it is more efficient. It's incredibly smooth, which is what really draws me to it.

What's the difference between .68 SB and .68 SC and .38 Bronze ?
Do you know what is the blade gap of AS-D2 by any chance (compare to them) ?

Top Bottom